Broken right SRAM Force shifter - IS IT REPAREABLE?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Can it be repaired??

Thank you!
Attachments
CAM0117s.jpg

Rick

by Rick

I doubt it.
When mine broke that way I bought a new RED set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

warranty?

alorast

by alorast

That is a known issue about the Force shifter, chances are your lbs can get you a warranty replacement.
If Frogs Had Wheels They Wouldn't Steal Bicycles.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I bought a used one.... no warranty :?

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Just had a similar thing happen to my old sram red shifter. It's my front derailleur and still works (kinda) and while I was told it was technically repairable if I found the parts, the cost in labour to rebuild the shifter likely doesn't make any sense. So I just bought a replacement one.

farva

by farva

not repairable. That bracket is the weak link in force & rival shifters. I've broken 3 of them in the last 5 years. Haven't busted a Red shifter yet. If the low stop is too tight in the back there is extra force on the paddle to reach the lowest gear detent in the shifter & eventually that bracket fails. I've found it best to back off the low limit screw so the shifter has a little extra room to make the final shift without bumping up hard against the derailleur stop. Of course you don't want to back it out so far the chain can hop over into the spokes. Clearly it's a design flaw but I haven't busted one since doing this.

Worth noting that a cracked but not completely sheared bracket will cause the indexing to never stay in correct gear position no matter how much you adjust it. As the shift mechanism is loaded the crack opens & allows the cable to creepy slightly, causing the chain to walk down the cassette a bit. It will drive you crazy until either the bracket completely fails or you find this defect first

supermidget

by supermidget

Is this design flaw still prevalent in the new 11-speed SRAM shifters? (sorry to hijack the thread)

Dimitri

by Dimitri

100% repairable.

supreeme

by supreeme

Sorry for borrowing the thread, but does anyone know where to buy shifters at reasonable prices? Preferably Red or Force 10-sp. Missing right lever for my first bike build. :)

Regards
Rickard

rijndael

by rijndael

ebay

supreeme

by supreeme

rijndael wrote:ebay

Yes, been scanning the bay for bargains but it seems to me that they go close to the "new" prices and so I thought it would be nice to buy a new pair.. I just wish i could se the "for sale" section here. I also live in Sweden and our currency is not so strong compared to GBP.. Looking at German sites without any luck.

rijndael

by rijndael

What would you be willing to pay for a set of 2012/2013 Red 10 speed shifters, in USD?

supreeme

by supreeme

Somewhere around 200 USD I guess depending on new or old design and condition.. Sounds reasonable or am I dreaming? Perhaps a bit more for the new design. I have seen ads asking for this money here in Sweden but ut seems as if I'm always "too late"..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

That's fine for Force level shifters, but it's light for 2012/2013 Red shifters, which are the new ergodynamic style.