Corima Aero S?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

Anyone on these wheels? I don't quite understand the different between Corima Aero + and the Aero 'S'. Seems like only different hub, one being carbon and the other aluminum but I Couldn't find the info anywhere.

They are not as wide as the other modern rims, but would you recommend them? I am interested in the Tub version, so not much concern about rim heat issue.

Are the brakes alright? Online reviews said they don't have surface treatment so not as grabby as the more modern wheels out there, but I'd rather hear from real world experience.

I am thinking the new fat Bora 50 or the Aero 'S' as I can get the latter quite cheap, or I have to wait till end of the year for Bora.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Sorry for not responding on PM. I was in Italy for a cycling trip... Back to your questions - I have put some miles on Zipp 404 and Corima Aero S, so hopefully I can give you some feedback.

Aero + and 'S' - The hub is the main difference. 'S' hub is oversized, bearings are bigger and should be more durable. Otherwise the wheels are the same.

They feel stiff and responsive, but not harsh. It's hard to rub the breaks. The hubs are butter smooth and easy to service. The breaking is actualy quite good, great modulation, no pulsation. There are rims/pads offering higher top end stopping power, but the difference isn't that big.

ZIpp 404 is a great rim, but Corima is much easier to live with - better handling in crosswind, hubs are troublefree and much stiffer. If you prefer silent wheels, you will be happy with them - they hardly make a sound. The Zipps are probably faster in straigh line, but I would take Aero S every day.

If you need more info, just ask :)

ichobi

by ichobi

Thanks for your feed back!