BB30 crank in nonBB30 frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JimV

by JimV

Someone just announced bearings that would allow a BB30 crank to be used in a non BB30 frame. I can't seem to find the link or remember who it was.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinko

by martinko

Rotor offer their solution - BSA30

audiojan

by audiojan

I just installed a BB30 Quarq in a standard BSA threaded frame by using a Zipp Vuma bottom bracket. Works like a charm!
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

eric

by eric

A number of companies make "BSA30" BBs with 30mm ID bearings in BSA cups.
But you need a crank with an extra long 30mm spindle. True BB30 crank spindles are too short.
Sram Quarq and Rotor are extra long 30mm spindle cranks.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Wheelsmfg. I don't think they have it up on their site yet. It was posted in another thread on here last week..look around.

Edit, think it was this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98394&start=45

eric

by eric

The wheels mfg adaptors referenced in that thread are to run 24mm spindle cranks in a BB30 frame, not BB30 cranks in a BSA frame which is what this thread is about.
They look really nice though, especially the one with angular contact bearings.

ms6073

by ms6073

JimV wrote:Someone just announced bearings that would allow a BB30 crank to be used in a non BB30 frame. I can't seem to find the link or remember who it was.
Which bottom bracket standard as these days, 'non bb30' frames could include BSA, PF86, PF90, PF92, or BBRight, and of those, realistically only frame with a BSA bottom bracket would be able to work with a BB30 crank.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

joec

by joec

hmmmm,

this has got me thinking....

with those BSA30 cups I wonder if its possible to thin the bottom bracket down enough to fit the short BB30 BB30....

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

joec wrote:hmmmm,

this has got me thinking....

with those BSA30 cups I wonder if its possible to thin the bottom bracket down enough to fit the short BB30 BB30....

Why not have a go with a file and a couple of chisels?

mentok

by mentok

eric wrote:A number of companies make "BSA30" BBs with 30mm ID bearings in BSA cups.
But you need a crank with an extra long 30mm spindle. True BB30 crank spindles are too short.
Sram Quarq and Rotor are extra long 30mm spindle cranks.

this is the important detail. the "bb30" cranks that fit in BSA frames are not true bb30 cranks - they are bb30 compatible through the use of longer spindles, spacers, etc. a true bb30 crankset cannot be made to fit in a bsa frame with existing parts. to do it on a custom basis would require some pretty tiny bearings that would probably have a similarly tiny life-span.

ironman1

by ironman1

Enduro is coming out with a set of 2 bearing per side to allow 30mm cranks to be used on Treks 90 mm wide shimano BB. I'm guessing very small bearings and the 2 races per side to help distribute the load. I believe it was on bike rumor a couple of weeks ago.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I just did a search on Google (and on BikeRumor) and haven't been able to find an article with that information. Can you provide a link?

BmanX

by BmanX

I could have sworn that I have seen a set of Hollowgram SL cranks on a BSA bottom bracket bike with Zipp style bearings at some point. Someone I am sure did this conversion but they have to machine the lip off of the axel.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ms6073

by ms6073

BmanX wrote:I could have sworn that I have seen a set of Hollowgram SL cranks on a BSA bottom bracket bike with Zipp style bearings at some point.
I think that was a one off, completely custom proof of concept Fairwheel bike or similar did several years back. Regardless of spindle length, isn't the bottom bracket shell for an English threaded BSA frameset ~68mm? As is always the case with a true BB30 crank, adding threaded bearing cups to that frame will result in the chainrings being pushed out the equivalent of the width of the bearing cup, thus altering the required chainline.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

That is the one that I remember and I agree with your statement. I would like to see that article and their findings.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades