BB30 crank in nonBB30 frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BmanX

by BmanX

I did a bit more digging and found this.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ironman1

by ironman1

Looked for the link from bike rumor and could not find it. don't know what happened to it. I remember because I went to Enduros website and the bearings for Treks that they talked about was not on there site, just figured they were not yet ready for retail yet.

JimV

by JimV

ironman1 wrote:Enduro is coming out with a set of 2 bearing per side to allow 30mm cranks to be used on Treks 90 mm wide shimano BB. I'm guessing very small bearings and the 2 races per side to help distribute the load. I believe it was on bike rumor a couple of weeks ago.

Glad to see that someone else saw it too and I am not loosing it.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

German "Cannondale Parts" shop has lots of crank spares, including a BSA BB (with axle) for Hollowgram cranks. The description says it is for Hollowgram MTB, but cannondale noob I am, I'm not seeing any reason to use it with a Hollowgram road crank. Shorter axles are available too. Unfortunately the parts have a very "Hollowgram aligned" pricing, if I may say so.

http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/6 ... 2KP094/%22

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Thats basically a Zipp VumaQuad BB with a MTB axle thats had the lip machined off, you'd need that length axle to run a road chainset on a BSA BB, your chain line and q factor are gonna suck :(
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

mentok

by mentok

HillRPete wrote:I'm not seeing any reason to use it with a Hollowgram road crank.

your chainline will be +2.5mm, as will your Q (+2.5 per side that is), and you will need more spacers, but it should all bolt up and work.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

mentok: the axle has 132mm. They are also offering a 128mm one, but one would have to mod away the lip, I guess. Another €70 unfortunately, but I'm kinda tempted, as my CAAD4 project frame has BSA.

Edit: some more info. 122mm axle is available from cannondale-parts.de, and seems to work up to 73mm BSA according to below (plus spacers). The next shorter axle on the site is 109mm, wondering if that would work on a 68mm BSA BB.

http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/coda-magic-bb-hollowgram-sl-cranks-782960.html wrote:I ended up getting a hollowgram SiSl crank to work on my 73mm BSA crankset using a 122mm MTB hollowgram spindle and Zipp 30mm BB cups. Had to jerry-rig it with shims though, not ideal but it works.

Damn why am I always draw to such tinkering. Really want to try now.

brearley

by brearley

Anybody know if a sram red chain set will work with a bsa30 bottom bracket?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Very close to getting going on this (got left and right crank arm from ebay separately for a great deal). As per above, a 122mm spindle works on 73mm BSA with spacers. Since I want to try this on 68mm BSA, 5mm width are saved already. Now I'm wondering if I could get away with a 109mm spindle.

What are the narrowest external BB cups that, or are they all the same?

Edit: Hmm there seems to be a 114mm Cannondale/SRAM spindle as well. Could that be the one to use requiring the least shimming?

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

HillRPete wrote:Very close to getting going on this (got left and right crank arm from ebay separately for a great deal). As per above, a 122mm spindle works on 73mm BSA with spacers. Since I want to try this on 68mm BSA, 5mm width are saved already. Now I'm wondering if I could get away with a 109mm spindle.

What are the narrowest external BB cups that, or are they all the same?

Edit: Hmm there seems to be a 114mm Cannondale/SRAM spindle as well. Could that be the one to use requiring the least shimming?

Did you ever figure this out?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Buddysnack wrote:Did you ever figure this out?

Didn't pull the trigger on any spindle in the end. Too expensive. Vuma BB cups for 30mm spindle compat also pricey, and my legs seem to be picky about Q-factor.

Y26

by Y26

Getting a BSA 68mm frame and wish to find out about if one can use SISL cranks w/ 109mm spindle form SISL2. Anyone try this setup yet?

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

Y26 wrote:Getting a BSA 68mm frame and wish to find out about if one can use SISL cranks w/ 109mm spindle form SISL2. Anyone try this setup yet?

I tried and couldn't. I believe you need a 114mm spindle. I have a bsa to bb30 bb though if you are interested

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Getting a BSA 68mm frame and wish to find out about if one can use SISL cranks w/ 109mm spindle form SISL2. Anyone try this setup yet?

Are you planning to run a single front chainring? You can try this but as has already mentioned numerous times, anything other than a BB30 frame will alter the chainline by pushing the crank further out from the frame the equivalent width of the bearing cups threaded into the frame. So using the image below as a reference, imagine the large chainring another 9-11 mm further out from the frame, further increasing the angle on the chain, thus shifting will be extremely sub-optimal!

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"