HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:32 pm 

So I've heard and seen some debates in the past regarding the move to Ti bolts for the bike, and vice versa for not going that route. Some say Ti bolts are not recommended at all, structurally not as sound as the stainless steel bolts and some say it's even stronger, etc.... I'm curious to see/hear what your guys are feeling about regarding making a move to Ti bolts to help lighten up the bike even more. Also- if you have made the jump to Ti, what company did you source from and verify your correct dimensions to swap. Thanks in advance and hope this does not turn into a heated debate between both parties on the subject (puts flame suit on just incase)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm 

Have you read this? http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=16

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 am 

A lot of components, especially stems, large brands come equipped with Ti bolts. I've used products with them and have had no issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:21 am 

A good, high quality Ti bolt CAN be stronger than most steel ones, but there is no guarantee unless you buy from a reputable source. I have had Ti bolts break before, but never after I started buying from Pro-Bolt.

Also, they don't really save much and are expensive, so don't think they are really going to affect performance detectably.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 pm 

Yes, www.tekbolt.com is reputable source for titanium needs. Here's the info about titanium in layman's terms:

In very general terms, titanium bolts are slightly stronger than steel (at about 1/2 the weight). Also, ti is not "soft" as much as "springy" (in engineering terms its got a low modulus of elasticity, meaning it deforms easily but springs back to shape). Weak grades of steel screws, like most phillips head screws, have a strength of about 400 MPa, while most good allen head steel screws are 800 MPa. Aircraft grade titanium like we use is 900 MPa. To make the matter more confusing, there are grades of ti with only 350 MPa strength and grades of steel with 1200 MPa strength. Don't worry though, with bicycles you will almost always be replacing 800 MPa steel with 900 Mpa ti.

It Never Gets Easier, You Just Go Faster!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:21 pm 

@mpulsiv- what alloy are ti bicycle bolts typically made from? 6-4?

From what I have read Ti is more susceptible to cracking and galling. That hasn't kept me from using them. Just make sure they're lubed. One of my bikes has DA 7800 brakes that I replaced the steel parts with Ti ones, from toronto cycle. Saved about 30g with no change in brake function or feel. The EE brakes on the other bike come with Ti bolts.

As for verifying dimensions its best to measure things yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 pm 

No need to quote above

My Ti bolts have been holding up. I use 1 M6x55 bolt for my Ritchey seatpost, which was 1/2 weight of stock steel.
Reach out to Brian for specific questions about Ti tekbolt@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 pm 

this is where i still am on the fence. (read above posts about pros/cons..._) I will keep reading and keep watching to help decide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 pm 

Where do you plan to replace steel bolts with Ti? Stem bolts? water cage bolts? seatpost bolt(s), skewers?
1 Ti bolt on my seatpost support my body weight, that's a lot of stress and flex. Anything else on your bike is negligible except for skewers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:07 pm 

great question. My initial plan was to just swap all bolts available on my future bike build. This one would be clearly an all out gram saving effort. Appreciate the input! Good to hear that possibly all other areas would be negligible otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 pm 
in the industry

I use to bolts everywhere I can but it does not save much weight either. Never had a problem with them. A lot of mine came from Toronto cycles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 pm 

4 times the price
1/2 to 2/3 the weight

perfect cyclist economics! :D

I really like the corrosion resistance but you can round off the head if you are not careful or if your tools is a bit worn ( especially the 4mm one for stems ) . Never use a ball end on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:11 pm 

Replaced bottle cage bolts with titanium ones for a very very minimal weight savings but am hesitant to use them in more critical areas.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm 
Resident Pro

ti bolts really do not save weight unless it is a very large bolt (i.e. quill stems). the alloy bolts for bottle cages will be lightner than ti bolts already and many steel bolts like dura ace are hollowed out already.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:32 pm 

supermidget wrote:
Replaced bottle cage bolts with titanium ones for a very very minimal weight savings but am hesitant to use them in more critical areas.

Titanium bolts is used on motorcycles and we fear to use them on bikes? What do consider a critical area on a bike besides skewers?

6 stem M5 bolts | steel = 20 grams | titanium = 13 grams
1 M6x55 bolt (for Ritchey WCS 1-bolt seatpost) | steel = 14 grams | titanium = 7 grams
4 bottle cage bolts | steel = 12 grams | titanium = 5 grams

Go to page 1, 2  Next