Lightweight Standard freehub play

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I've been a long time owner of a set of G3 LW Standards and recently became annoyed with an incessant clicking sound from my bike. Despite a series of checks on the bottom bracket and pedals, the sound was pinpointed to be what appears to be freehub play in my rear wheel. He tried removing the DT Swiss freehub but it was difficult such that he gave up on fears over damaging the wheel.

Is it recommended that I send the wheels back to Carbonsports or is there anyway that my LBS can rectify the problem without any complications or fears over ruining the wheels? As per the warrantee, I can easily assume that it is not within the scope of a fee-less repair as the wheels are over 6yrs old.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody!
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have two pair of these wheels. Both free hubs come off very easily. I am not certain what could be wrong with your rear axle or bearings. Although your warrantee has certainly expired I would still send it to Carbon sports and have them try to fix it. I doubt there are many local bike shops which have experience fixing these wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I figured that would be the most safest answer... Sounds good and thanks for chiming in.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sedluk

by sedluk

DT Swiss hubs are easy to take apart and rebuild. DT Swiss sells all of the internals and you can buy all the tools to take apart the hub. DT Swiss has instructions on their web site for complete rebuild. Replacing a free hub body is about the easiest thing to do on a DT Swiss hub.

If someone is having problems taking off the free hub body I would find another someone.