Cannondale SI / Hollowgram compat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Cannondale experts,

Question 1: can an older (non hollowgram) Carbon SI driveside crank arm (see example picture below) be combined with a newer Hollowgram NDS arm?

Question 2: if so, can the Carbon SI crank be retrofit to work on a BSA frame with the conversion kit?

(can you tell I'm scraping together a cannondale build :mrgreen: )

topflightpro

by topflightpro

1. Maybe. The first generation, three-piece carbon cranksets used the same spindle as the Hollowgram cranksets. Around 06 or 07 they changed toa two-piece crankset. I do not know if the newer two-piece version had the same spindle/crank arm interface.

2. Maybe. If you are dealing with a two-piece crankset, then the answer is no. The spindle will be too short. If it is the three-piece one, It is possible to get a MTB specific spindle and modify it to work on the road bike. It has been done a couple of times previously on this forum, but it is a lot of work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Not sure about how the conversion would be but I know replacing the same cranks with the new Si arms under warranty left me with a crank system that was brushing the chainstays. I had taken it to two cannondale shops to have the mechanics verify that the 104mm spindle was too small for the width of the chainstays on my systemsix. I had to purchase the 109mm spindle upgrade package from cannondale experts to get the extra mm required. You will be faced with the same situation since the two piece design has a large spacer on the driveside but maybe one or two mm spacers on the non driveside. The 109mm package gets adjusted form the non driveside which will give you the extra space for clearance.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm in the same boat but I'd like to replace left (non-drive) arm from Si carbon for Hollogram Si just to use it with Stages http://store.stagescycling.com/stages-p ... i-p19.aspx
Historically, Cannondale email support (custserv@cannondale.com) has been terrible. It takes at least 3 email reminders for them to provide any feedback. I haven't heard back yet.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

topflightpro

by topflightpro

mpulsiv, it again depends on if you have a two or three piece crankset.

Around 2007, Cannondale switched from a three-piece carbon Si to a two-piece. If it is a three-piece, then you can go with the new Hollowgram Stages crank arm.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

topflightpro wrote:mpulsiv, it again depends on if you have a two or three piece crankset.

Around 2007, Cannondale switched from a three-piece carbon Si to a two-piece. If it is a three-piece, then you can go with the new Hollowgram Stages crank arm.

If they made a three-piece back in 2007, was the spider removable?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The spider has always been removable on the Hollowgram cranks. It has never been removable on the Carbon SI cranks - regardless of it being a two-piece or three-piece design.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com