Frame failure Carbon Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Hi I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice if possible

I purchased online Feb 2012 from an award winning German Bike Manufacturer , a full Road Bike, bike performed great during this time, however lately I noticed a flaking of the Bottom Bracket Area where the paint flaked away and on closer examination the housing within the frame bottom bracket became loose, this has resulted in the Crank Arms moving about within the bottom bracket area

I shipped the frame complete to the bike shop where I purchased and they have sent it to the manufacturer , the manufacturer have examined the frame and are I'm told doing further tests , FYI I never raced or crashed this bike, I use it for Sportives only

I believe their warranty is 2 years, which would mean I am just outside of the warranty date

My question is, have any of u experienced this and if so did you have any result

Thank u for reading this post :beerchug:

mattr

by mattr

Best case, New frame under goodwill.
Worst case, get bent, it's out of warranty.
Likely case, New frame at a discounted price. (Crash replacement scheme)

Does depend massively on which manufacturer though.
And technically it's the shops problem, not the manufacturers. It sounds like the manufacturer has got involved though, might be a good thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Oh. It might be repairable as well. Carbon is remarkably easy to repair if you know what you are doing

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Hi Mattr

Thanks for the reply, I have purchased quite a bit from the Retailler and have bikes x 3 , Road,TT,MTB29er plus wheels x2 All have been the same manufacturer !!!!!!! , so you could say I am a fan of the company , it will be interesting to see what the result will be , I must admit I now will certainly look at warranty timeframe more now that I have experienced this as I appear to be very vulnerable here , I'll let u know the update once I receive reply

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Hi Mattr,

Just to update you on our recent discussion, STORCK have come through good for me , they explained that The cause of the crack at my BB is oxidation between the carbon and the aluminum of the bottom bracket insert. Normally they can repair they explained but the problem with my frame was, that the oxidation had gone too far, and this led to the carbon structure being damaged , too.

They explained that oxidation will NOT be there at their new frames, because the bearings are directly in the carbon and the bearing from Shimano has plastic on the outside, so there is no more oxidation possible.

Because my fork is not compatible to new frameset , I am paying for just a new fork , I think under the circumstances Storck need to be commended for this gesture , I am a good customer of Storck, but this does reinforce my satisfaction in supporting them

Now to decide Aernario G1 or Aernario Platinum ?

sharkman

by sharkman

Anything given for damage due to corrosion causing the end of a 2 year + frameset isn't a gesture is nothing more than normal and even payment for the fork is a bit doubtfull.
Unless you're continuously get the frameset in contact with seawater which is unlikely something like this is not normal a product fault and since a customer can expect such a frameset to perform for at least 5 years or longer exchange of the frameset (or return of at least part of the money) in nothing but normal.

Oswald

by Oswald

I agree that a frame should last longer then 2 years. But since his frame is outside of the warranty period, I think that Storck made a fine gesture, and he got a fair deal. I think I would be happy with this offer.

davidalone

by davidalone

agreed. you know what you were getting into when you bought it, it's clearly stated a 2 year warranty.

Although I would be skeptical infuture about the manufacturers QC........

eric

by eric

It sounds like they did not adequately isolate the aluminium from the carbon to prevent galvanic corrosion. That's most likely a manufacturing error as this is something any carbon manufacturer knows about. If done right it should last long past the two year warranty. Not addressing this would look bad.

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Thanks guys for the replies much appreciated, seeing as though I had the Fascenario 0.7 model, I have put a reply back to Storck thanking them for the gesture , I have asked if they would consider giving me under warranty a 2014 G2 Fascenario 0.7 frameset , I have politely suggested that paying for a new fork is questionable considering my existing fork has been made redundant due to non compatability with new frames , will let u know

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

eric wrote:It sounds like they did not adequately isolate the aluminium from the carbon to prevent galvanic corrosion. That's most likely a manufacturing error as this is something any carbon manufacturer knows about. If done right it should last long past the two year warranty. Not addressing this would look bad.

Agree completely. I believe Colnago had a similar issue with some dropouts bonded to carbon in their early C40's. But that was resolved as soon as discovered. And that was back in the 90's. I would say this is more of a manufacturing design flaw as opposed to a manufacturing defect. Big difference. I would be pretty upset, regardless of warranty if the manufacturer didn't make me whole, including supplying a new fork if the new frame is not compatible with the old one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

That sort of stuff is on about page 3 of composites 101.

Pretty poor that they missed that.

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Just to update you on reply I received from Customer Service Dept at Storck Bicycle Germany, when I questioned if they would replace the frame and the fork , older fork non compatible to new frameset

" I can not offer you a new deal. It is not my decision, I am just the deliverer of the (bad) news.

The next is, that we are not allowed to do service for customers, we are just for dealers, so please try to manage this with S-tec.

A little tip is: You do not have to keep your old fork. You can sale it…"

Looks like I will be buying a new fork ............

Thank u all for your advice much appreciated

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's pretty poor customer service. Also, don't Storcks have quite a proprietary/unique axle to crown length? Who would you sell it to? But that's not the point. I'd be looking at writing it off and moving to a different brand if they don't come through with a complete frame and fork to make you whole again.

You might want to direct the "customer service" agent, who is by his own admission just a delivery boy, to this thread. Call him back and ask to speak with someone who actually does have the ability to make a decision. This is not just a wear and tear issue, or a manufacturing "defect", but a flaw in the original design. I'd say you have every right to expect a new frame and fork, and anything short of that would be unacceptable.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Good Evening Colnago ,

Thanks for your reply , to be honest, I was pretty disappointed with the "Cavalier" attitude of the email, I too having thought through the situation further, am inclined to agree with you, yes they are replacing
frame, but the fault appears to have occurred with them in the manufacturing process ,it will be virtually impossible to sell on that fork , for a boutique brand , I expected more from Storck , aside from the fact that I am waiting 2 months now and expect it to be another 2 weeks before I receive a replacement