Colnago Extreme-C or Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zander

by zander

Hi all. I'm going to buy my first real road bike after riding on the road by Cannondale CAAD9 cc. My options are now second-hand Colnago Extreme-C with Campy Super Record and Rar Svelt wheels. Colnago seems to be in nice condition and it's not used very much. Another one is new Canyon Ultimate CF SL with Campy Chorus and Eurus wheels. I can't test drive those bikes.

Colnago EC is not the newest technology. How it is when compared to the latest frames today? I usually ride 50-200km at a time and I'm not competing. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks!
Last edited by zander on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N.T

by N.T

Buy the Colnago
Fuelled by kofein

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Buy the one that fits.

if its the one that floates your boat; even better :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The Colnago comes with SR and some RAR Svelt wheels...
If the condition of the Colnago frameset, grouppo and wheels is still top then that is a tipping point for me.
If you are a larger rider however the Canyon will have a noticeably stiffer front end (but may not be as comfortable overall for you.)
But Jekyll Man is ultimately correct, the geometry that fits is the decision maker. Chorus with Euros is a nice faithful combo for any conditions.

zander

by zander

As I said, I have no possibility to test those bikes before buying. Colnago is size 52s and I think it is just my size as I am 180cm/75kg and 84cm inseam. Canyon size M has surprisingly similar geo.

Roel W

by Roel W

If you're 180cm a 52cm frame will be too small.
I'm 186cm and ride 58cm frames (Canyon Size L).

zander

by zander

Colnago 52s (sloping) is same as 56cm traditional geo.

Roel W

by Roel W

zander wrote:Colnago 52s (sloping) is same as 56cm traditional geo.

O.K., then it could fit.

c50jim

by c50jim

I've owned a lot of Colnagos (16 I think, 7 still in my house or garage), most older than the Extreme C. I just bought an EC a few weeks ago and have ridden it three or four times now. Longest ride was something like 115 km. I'm 185 cm or so and mine's a 54s. Based on that, the 52s would probably be about the right size. You say you can't do a test ride, but I'd say you need to make sure the bike can fit you perfectly before you spend that much money. Thoughts on the EC:

- mine has a 28.0 seatpost. With sloping geometry, there's a lot of post showing so that there's a fair amount of movement in the post (I weigh about 82 kilos). It's not particularly bothersome, it's just there. You could also say that it makes the ride a little softer if you're doing a lot of long rides.
- EC is definitely stiffer than C40 and my memory of my C50. Front end seems similar to my Extreme Power, which make sense because they're about the same vintage. It's less harsh than the EPS I had for a couple of years that was a parts donor for the EC.
- it still handles like a Colnago, which means I love it. It might seem a bit slow handling at slow speeds but it's rock steady at 75-80 km/hr.
- among my current and past fleet, the bike I'd say it compares most closely to for stiffness is my Wilier Cento Uno from 2012 (the base 101, not the lighter versions). Like the Wilier, it's reasonably stiff at the BB but still has a decent ride - a bit better than the EP and definitely better than the EPS

I don't think I've ever even seen a Canyon, much less ridden one so I can't comment on comparisons. However, I'd agree with comments from others that you should pick the one that fits best and you shouldn't be afraid of Chorus. I have it on my EP and am building a new travel bike with it. It works better than my Super Record EPS and as well as my 10 and 11 speed Record bikes. The weight difference between Chorus and SR is minimal, particularly if you exclude the difference on the cassette.

TedStriker

by TedStriker

The 'nag.

OrPe

by OrPe

If it fits (and it should) - the colnago.

MJB

by MJB

I'm 179cm and have ridden a C50 for 4 years in a size 52s - best fitting bike I've ridden yet...... Have a mate with a 2008 Colango Extreme Power (also 52s) it's a faster/lighter ride than the C50 so I'd expect the climbing version - the Extreme C to be similar to the EP.

The only old tech / odd foible is the 28mm seatpost otherwise I say the C50 EP EC are truly beautiful riding frames. I'd go the Colnago...

zander

by zander

Thanks guys, good comments. I'll go with Colnago!

zander

by zander

Oh boys! I got the Bike (Colnago of course) yesterday. Didn't have time to go any longer ride yet but it feels superb!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com