Does this spec road bike exist from any manufacturer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dogg

by dogg

good if you ride in bad weather too. nothing worse than the feeling or road grit grinding away at your rims, or the initial moment when you apply the brakes and there's ... nothing. they're not for everyone but they certainly have their place. ill be in the market for disc road bike in the next yr or two for a winter/rain bike. as mentioned, hopefully the "standards" will be (somewhat) sorted by then

maxxevv

by maxxevv

DJ,

its part of the reason why its gravitating towards thru-axle designs. It solves/mitigates a fair number of issues you listed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I run a HongFu FM166 disc frame with hydro discs. The F&F run standard axles but with Halo bolt-up skewers the wheels are secure and I don't get any disc rub (160mm front and 140mm rear rotors). The future is no doubt thru-axles but for now it works okay.

sychen

by sychen

Except for the thru-axle de rosa 2014 idol fits the bill.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

applebaconator wrote:I race at cat-2 level, ...

As long as you know that disc braked bikes are not permitted in UK road races, and most (if not all) other formal road races anywhere in the world.

applebaconator

by applebaconator

Valbrona wrote:
applebaconator wrote:I race at cat-2 level, ...

As long as you know that disc braked bikes are not permitted in UK road races, and most (if not all) other formal road races anywhere in the world.

Like I said, this road disc bike is just for kicks and I won't be using it for my UCI cat 2 races. Replies like this are not helpful to all the people who want a road disc bike with the listed specification in my original post.

campyman099

by campyman099

The closest "race bike" option is the 2015 Specialized Tarmac Disc. It has everything you're after except the thru axles.
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!

Arky

by Arky

Sorry, but I cannot conceive droning along on a long ride with my feet displaced any further from the center of the bike. This will occur due to the resultant movement if the chainstays. The wider axle will annoy the heck out of you at the least and possibly even cause biomechanical issues unless it is an occasional novelty to ride.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Arky - can' say I've noticed any biomechanics issues caused by the two bikes I have with 12 x 142mm axles. Here are some facts you might find interesting, such as cassette and calliper location being the same as a 135mm hub, wheel dish being the same, or 'gasp' that chainline is the same resulting in the same cranks and bb widths being used and hence no difference in how far your feet are displaced from the centre of the bike. For clarification this is between a 135mm and 142mm disc brake hub options, which the OP is referring to, which is moot if you are referring to discs vs callipers.

I'm all for the use of 12x 142mm hubs on road bikes, not from a stiffness point of view (although that would be a bonus) but from the self centering function of the system. You don't have to line up callipers/rotors etc, just drop it in, do it up and away you go. Same for a 15mm front axle. I can't help but think it might even make for quicker wheel changes in road racing now they have to keep the 'lawyer tabs' on. It's an easy to use and fool proof system, as this is WWs I'm sure Berk, Tune, AX etc will come up with super light axles for the system.

For a training bike I would love what the OP has described, check out the Kuota Khydra it's internally routed for hydraulic discs but lacks the through axles. Might be worth a look as an interim?

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Doesn't seem to bother the cross country mountain bike crowd. I'd wait for the bikes to roll out. I'd bet the q factor will be very close if not the same as a 130mm rear frame.

Applebacanator, please post pics and specs if you find a bike. Your list is pretty good.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

The issues are not that obvious with longer chainstays of CX and MTB bikes. But once you draw it down to about 400mm for racing geometry bikes, some clearance issues with the ankle/heel starts to surface for some riders.
The numbers thought not big but are there. Some people will complain about it.