campagnolo experts help please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have a set of chorus hubs pre 2007 on an alloy axle in need of a new freehub. Well FH-RE415 + new axle should be the parts I need so thats what I have. However the new freehub is very odd, the outer bearing is not in the same place as on the original free hub, it is buried inside the body itself. So while the axle and freehub body fit, once every is fitted there is play in the freehub body as the DS lock nut has nothing to butt up against. So is there a longer DS locknut that I need with this kit? The distibutor say there is nothing wrong with the part but the problem I have will not go away just by hoping.

here is a pic of the FH-RE415 and please help in getting my hubs running smooth again. My other option is to replace the outer bearing in the orginal freehub which is the worst one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm not sure what is causing this.

What does "pre 2007" mean? How much "pre"?

The older and newer locknuts look the same to me.

Why did you change the axle? Is it the original type or the current one?

Not sure if that would make a difference though as I thought they were dimensionally the same.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The FH-RE415 require a new axle it does not fit on the old axle. the hub is around 2006 I think not that makes any difference as a new axle is required with this freehub. It looks like the spacer is missing but what I need to know what does another FH-RE415 look like this or does the out bearing sit further out with a spacer making up the gap.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Looking at the spares catalogs I'm still confused as to why you needed a new axle.

The p/n you quote RE 415 is for the older axle RE 201 and consistent with a 2006 hub.

The new axle BO 001 takes freehub BO 015.

Perhaps you don't have the part you think you have?

One.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Looks to me like you have the wrong part.

Here's the right one, which does require the new axle.

http://www.bikeman.com/FW9850.html

Not exactly sure what part you have there.
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

One.

wingguy

by wingguy

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm now beginning to think that you have a freehub with an improperly installed outer bearing as I cannot find any that look like that.

Campy freehubs have 2 bearings, the outer one much further out than your image and held in place by an internal circlip. In your picture I don't see the groove for the clip either. Plus there is a spacer sleeve between the 2 bearings as you see on the image I posted.

Is this new, sealed from Campy? Or has someone possibly been messing with it?

One.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

The OP's image of the freehub body looks to me as if the spacer between the two bearings is missing.

In a Campagnolo cassette body there are, as commented by BikerJulio et al., two cartridge bearings, which are spaced by a sleeve. They are light interference fitted into the body, the lower / inner one being retained by a c-clip. The spacing between the bearings is set by a sleeve which butts against the cones of each bearing. Hence the bearings are held the correct distance apart by a shoulder on the axle that fits against the cone of the lower / inner bearing and the sleeve, the whole being compressed by the LH threaded locknut and spacer (sometimes 2 pieces, sometimes one piece, all AFAWK the same depth on Campagnolo Oversize axle hubs 2001 - present).

In the OP's photo the upper / outer bearing looks to be about 10 or 12 mm too far "into" the body indicating that either the sleeve is missing, or both the lower bearing and the sleeve are missing.

It would be incredibly rare for the sleeve to be omitted in the assembly as normally the kit FH-RE415 is supplied with the cassette body fitted to the axle, ready to drop straight into the hub with just the drive-side wheel bearing cone needing to be installed. It would not be possible to correctly fit the locknut and spacer if the bearing were in the position shown so normally QA should see this. Like BikerJulio, I wonder if the cassette body has been "played with" ... the bearing spacer is not available as a spare so maybe it's been "robbed" by some helpful soul ...

The OP is correct - Campagnolo changed the cassette body design in 2006 - prior to that it was made in two pieces, alloy for the sprocket carrier and steel for the pawl carrier - the bore through the pawl carrier was round and the axle had a long cylindrical section that passed through that round bore. In 2006 the cassette body was modified into a single-piece design, all alloy, and the area under the pawls was reinforced with a chord taken out of the round bore under the heel of each pawl, so that the formerly round hole became more like a triangle with very rounded corners - the old axle would not fit through unmodified, so Campagnolo took the opportunity to lighten the axle by reducing part of the OD and by re-shaping the remainder of the formerly cylindrical part to pass through the re-shaped hole in the base of the cassette body.

Hence, pre 2006 bodies will fit the old axle, but not vice-versa.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I will send it back then and get a replacement just wanted to make sure I was not wasting a stamp.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The issue we didn't clear up was what part you actually had.

If it was really a RE415 the that would have been the original p/n for that hub, and it would have fitted the axle - no?

The fact that it did not fit says to me that it wasn't a RE415, but the new version of the freehub.

One.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

FH-RE415 + axle is what is on the box and what I ordered! It does not fit on the original axle as the new axle is lobed locating the freehub on it. the old axle is not. the problem is the lack of spacer between the two bearings. The confusion came from when I described the problem to the distributor and they said there is nothing wrong wrong with it, I think they mearly misunderstood the problem.

These hubs need the current FH-RE415 freehub + the new lobed axle if you are going to replace the freehub. What is so hard to understand?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

You are correct. My understanding came from looking at the spares catalogs, which give a different impression.

One.

Cocolo

by Cocolo

I'm reviving this post from over 2 years ago but I just want to make sure this can be done before I buy the parts needed.

I have a silver 2006 Campagnolo Record rear hub that I would like to convert to use with Shimano cassettes. My hub has the original round axle and I as understand, in order for me to use the Shimano splined freehub body and cassettes, I need to replace the axle as well. I've been searching on Amazon.com, and it looks like if I purchase the "Campagnolo Rear Wheel Axle for 06 and Newer Wheels" and a "Campagnolo Freehub Body for Shimano/SRAM 9/10/11 Speed Cassettes, OS Axle", I'll be able to make this conversion. Can someone chime in and help me out to verify if this is correct? Will my hub accommodate for both of these parts? Thank you in advance.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

It's safer to check Campy part #'s.

The freehub with Shimano splining (goes to 11), is FH-BUU015X1

The correct axle is the current "oversize", FH-BO001

See this page http://www.bikeman.com/FW9854.html

One.

Cocolo

by Cocolo

Excellent. Thank you for your help bikerjulio!

Another question, are those the only two parts that need to be changed to make this work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com