Michelin pr4 Endurance 25mm vs Continental GP4000s 25mm?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stl516

by stl516

Has anyone compare weight, puncture resistance, dry, and wet traction? Also rounding off capability.

fa63

by fa63

Weight: not sure, I didn't measure them (blasphemy, I know).
Puncture Resistance: don't know, never flatted with either.
Dry/wet traction: about the same, maybe a slight edge to the Michelin.
Comfort: the Michelin feel a little more supple at the same pressure, but this may be because of their size (see below).

The Continental run pretty true to their 25mm size, but I measured the Michelin at almost 28mm wide on 21mm wide rims. In fact, I had to take them off because they were rubbing the chainstays slightly when out of the saddle on my bike and I didn't want to take any chances. That is actually when I switched to the Continental.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

Never tried Pro 4 Endurance, but Pro 4 Service Course was terrible - way too sticky and slow compared to conti 4000s. It feels like you're dragging the brakes. I guess i just hated the Michelin rubber on that tire. It's one of the few tires I've taken off after a few days of riding and sworn never to use again.

rothwem

by rothwem

I've been really impressed with my Pro4 Endurance tires. I use the 23mm, but they've got a profile like the Michelin Pilot Power's on my sportbike, and I think it makes them handle better than any "training" tire I've ever ridden. I've also gotten a ton of miles on them and only 1 flat so far (now that I've said that I'm doomed though). On the other hand, I've never had good luck with Contis in handling or puncture resistance.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

i have bad experience with Pro 4 SC as well, the 25mm on 23 wide wheel came out to almost 28mm. I don't know if it's the wide tire or Pro 4 rubber, but I got dropped on the first lap in the crit race. The bike was slow to accelerate and hard to hold speed

sethjs

by sethjs

Tour magazine compared the two recently. Basically on most measures the Conti GP 4000S II came out on top. Grip in wet. Puncture resistance. Etc.

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

i train on pro4 endurance 25's using a wide rim. as others have stated, they are wider than 25 more like 27or28. the flat protection is excellent. also very high mileage, much better than conti. i used to train on conti gp4000s but i didn't like how the tire wears, they crown very easily and i rarely got more than 1000 miles before they lost the roundness of tire. much happier with pro4 endurance for training. i get 2500 and up miles on pro4's and they handle every bit as well as 4000's...dry or wet. with the 25's they actually handle better because of larger contact patch...i run them at 80-85lbs and are a dream on long rides. they suck up vibration but still have good feel of road. the real question is what are you looking for? a race tire or training? if it's for training then pro4 but race then whole different story...and unless you're doing 3000ft climbs who cares what they weigh, for training flat protection and handling more important

dunbar42

by dunbar42

ghostrider1tm wrote:i used to train on conti gp4000s but i didn't like how the tire wears, they crown very easily and i rarely got more than 1000 miles before they lost the roundness of tire.

Contis do square off but it doesn't affect durability. My rear GP4000s has 6k miles on it right now and the wear dots aren't flush yet (but they're getting very close.) Not sure why the squaring off matters. Doesn't seem to affect the handing. I think the PR4 Service Course is 3-4w worse in rolling resistance than the GP4000S.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I love michelins, the old pr2 where the best. I have 4000s in 25mm. They are nice tires too. I bought pr4 in 25 but I don't have clearance on my orbea. They rub at the seat tube c
Seat stay junction. They are really much wider than 25s and that was with a regular width rim...20 mm or so

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

GP4000s tyres 25mm on a pacenti SL23 are 27.1mm wide. so these tyres are so similar they are practically the same i.e difference so small it comes down to personal preference which one you like. They probably have similar construction and a similar rubber compound.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

The GP4000 will have much lower Crr.
formerly rruff...

lord_brush

by lord_brush

ChiZ01 wrote:i have bad experience with Pro 4 SC as well, the 25mm on 23 wide wheel came out to almost 28mm. I don't know if it's the wide tire or Pro 4 rubber, but I got dropped on the first lap in the crit race. The bike was slow to accelerate and hard to hold speed

Did you actually just blame 3mm of extra rubber and/ or the make up of the compound on the fact you got dropped in a crit?!?!

W indeed TF?!
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

applebaconator

by applebaconator

Continental GP 4000s is one of the best, if not the best all-around clincher tire ok the market. No reason to pick PR4. Lower rolling resistance and better durability and better protection. The only bad thing is their clincher bead is tougher than necessary and can pinch tubes if not careful when installing

simnorm

by simnorm

fa63 wrote:Weight: not sure, I didn't measure them (blasphemy, I know).

I have both, maybe my scale is off +-5g
GP4000s 25mm 219g
PR4 SC 25mm 224g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kac

by kac

I've used both (but in 23mm). The Michelin puncture resistance and wear on chip/seal roads was decidedly inferior to the Continental in my statistically insignificant sample size of two sets of tires.