Mavic Zxellium SLR Ti Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I picked these up recently, and the weight on them is damn good. Looks like that these might be the lightest pedal system, not counting the spindle only type pedals. The body is made of carbon, and the spindle is titanium.

I will be riding these soon, and I'll report back with my experience.

BRM

by BRM

Exactly the same pedal as Time Xpresso 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The cleats for those look kind of massive.

How much do they weigh?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

drainyoo

by drainyoo

BRM, good eye. Looks like Time might be producing these for Mavic.

Bikerjulio, I'll throw the cleats on a scale today.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

This is not exactly earth shattering breaking news to WW board readers.
In Time xpresso pedals, MavicZack wrote:Hi gang,
the Mavic pedals are identical to the Time Xpresso series. The Zxellium SLR Ti corresponds to Xpresso 12.

Mavic and Time signed an agreement to co-develop pedal systems. It's a win for Mavic because the Time pedals are fantastic on their own, but even better (we would say) with our shoes. In particular the low weight pairs well with our shoes (very light), as do the biomechanics and low stack height (Mavic soles are super thin which can result in the lowest ball of foot to spindle distance available).

BRM

by BRM

drainyoo wrote:BRM, good eye. Looks like Time might be producing these for Mavic.

Bikerjulio, I'll throw the cleats on a scale today.

Look in the Time Xpresso topic, they were mentioned there also. :wink:

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks. Wasn't aware.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Speedplay cromo 129$ + after market spindles 65$ + after market bow ties 65$ = 144g and 100kg rider weight. That's what I've found to be most cost effective.

rijndael

by rijndael

Wcl4 wrote:144g and 100kg rider weight.
and what do those cleats weigh?

mrfish

by mrfish

Speedplay cleats are 118g in standard, 88.5g in nanogram. But if you go down that road, the aluminium butterflies and nanogram pedal last a few thousand miles then need replacement.

Time Xpresso cleats are maybe 80-something g IIRC and the old RXS ones with the metal lump about 100g. The Time / Mavic cleats are not as bombproof as the older models, but I only once managed to bust a Time cleat by walking 5 miles on it up steep hills after my rear tyre exploded. And afterwards even though the cleat had cracked it still worked for another month before I got round to changing it.

Grill

by Grill

mrfish wrote:Speedplay cleats are 118g in standard, 88.5g in nanogram. But if you go down that road, the aluminium butterflies and nanogram pedal last a few thousand miles then need replacement.

Time Xpresso cleats are maybe 80-something g IIRC and the old RXS ones with the metal lump about 100g. The Time / Mavic cleats are not as bombproof as the older models, but I only once managed to bust a Time cleat by walking 5 miles on it up steep hills after my rear tyre exploded. And afterwards even though the cleat had cracked it still worked for another month before I got round to changing it.

5 mile steep hill in the UK? Do tell...

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Wcl4 wrote:Speedplay cromo 129$ + after market spindles 65$ + after market bow ties 65$ = 144g and 100kg rider weight. That's what I've found to be most cost effective.

Speedplay cost effective...you paid that much for a 10c pair of pedals...

jooo

by jooo

drainyoo wrote:Looks like that these might be the lightest pedal system, not counting the spindle only type pedals.

Once you factor in cleats and hardware, the weight is almost identical to the much cheaper Xpedo Thrust pedals...

hattrick

by hattrick

I have these cleats and the non-Ti pedals. Yes, they are just rebadged TIME stock. You have to be very careful walking with the cleats on rough surfaces. The bottom of the cleat has two plastics - a soft outer one for grip walking and a hard one underneath for engaging the pedal. I pulled out of mine last month after only a couple of weeks of usage as the soft plastic wore through into the hard, structural plastic, and have since replaced them once more in fear of the same happening again.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks, that's good info to know. Haven't ridden them yet. Other than that, do you like them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com