2014 Scott Addict frame assembly question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ellie

by ellie

I'm starting to build up a new bike. I have replaced the groupset on bikes but I have never put together the fork/headset and I seem to be a bit stuck...

These are all the pieces that came in the bag...

Does anyone know how/in what order these pieces go on the fork+headset assembly? :oops:

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I'm pretty sure the installation order is the parts order from left to right, and on the bike from bottom to top.
So from left to right...
Bottom fork race, bottom headset bearing, top headset bearing, top bearing washer, top bearing cap, (spacer, stem, spacer), top cap.
Of coarse the bug goes in the fork, which you will need to cut to the correct size.

Edit: No, I think I was wrong, the silver alloy ring on the left I think goes on the fork above the top race. I'm not sure if the 2014 Addict has a bottom fork race. It might not? :(

theremery

by theremery

1. Sit the frame "normal way up".
2. Second from left goes in the bottom of the frame. The black side faces down.
3. 3rd from the left goes in the top of the frame. The black side faces up.
4. Slide the fork in from the bottom (duh) then slide the left (silver) item in "taper side first" (it is upside down in the photo). It will compress as you push it in and the slot will close.
5. The thin washer (middle) goes on top of the silver item.
6. Slide the Ritchey Cap over the top then install the stem and press down firmly to "seat" everything.
7. Remove the stem and install the spacers you wish to use(unless you ride "slammed"...if so, skip the next steps).
8. Re-install the stem and check that everything is still seated (or re-do that...try wiggling the fork to check) and mark around the top of the steerer with a marker.
Remove the stem. Use tape to mark a line 5mm under where you just drew....and tape it (tightly!!!) with 2 or 3 rounds of a strong tape. Use a sharp hacksaw to cut through just above the tape .....the tape stops splintering (I used a dremel to avoid splintering all together). Carefully sand the edge smooth using a LIGHT grade grit (I'd suggest about 400...heavier stuff still risks splintering).
Wipe everything clean then apply a good smattering of carbon build paste where the stem will fit (look in the box....they give you a sachet if you don't have your own).
9. Second from the right goes in the top of the steerer tube (it only fits "one way") and is tightened with a 6mm or 8mm to hold it securely inside the steerer.
10. Slide the stem on and align (ish) it.
11. right hand item holds the stem down as per normal. Do this up "loose finger tight", do up the stem bolts to moderate finger pressure evenly then torque to recommended setting (or 4nm as a "i don't know" default). Do the top cap up securely.
Crack a beer.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

ellie

by ellie

@ rowdysluggins and theremery
Thanks for taking the time to help it is much appreciated!

So I guess no crown race for this fork, or it was not in the bag.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

If the bearings have a 45 degree taper on the inside, and so does the fork, then you probably don't need the race.
BTW, as an owner of two earlier generation Addicts, I'm filled with jealousy right now. :twisted:

n808

by n808

Photo is gone.... Please try imgur as an upload service. I'd love to see other (new) Addicts. I love mine (old model), put together with great care, from eBay and discount purchases.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

ellie

by ellie

Glad to see there seems to be a healthy addict community on ww!

Sorry about the link, new here if anyone is curious to see the bag-o-parts.

[img]http://imgur.com/55Nf0jQ[/img]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com