Time skylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

yinya

by yinya

How do you travel with the seatmast type post (I guess that is the Translink post)? Basically would I be able to use the Evoc bag with the translink/mast on the Skylon? Or if travel, need traditional seatpost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leej88

by leej88

mrgray wrote:i'm quite sure a scylon is the solution to all my woes. i am currently selling everything i have. colour scheme is the big issue now. i won't get to see it in person before i put the money down so pls indulge me canvassing opinions.

i won't show all of them because some of them look like this

very dated i would have thought.

this one has already been shown but it is again placed here because i think it looks good but might not be something you'd feel like going out in every day. bit lary maybe?

then there is the factory racing scheme which i think i really like. plus i was going to go without the TL seat post and this one pulls that off quite well.

but then we have the one i initially was very taken with. my issue with it now is that if i don't get the stem and the bars and the TL seat post then i end up with a lot less tricolour and alot more black bike. and i am not sure i want a black bike. plus bars and stem add around 1000 AUD to the price and whats the bet i get the wrong length stem.

again the francaise but now you can see the subtle details. question: are they too subtle?

and then finally we have an odd one that instead of writing scylon on the bike like they tend to they have written auber 93. i really like this one. plus it is shown without the matchy stem and looks good. mine wouldn't have the TL seat post though. (edit: turns out this is a racing team - with some major bike fit issues (oh boy that saddle is a tad forward!)

The Scylon in edition francais colour shown on TIME's website has the 2017 paint scheme. The upper section of the fork is painted with the TIME logo as opposed to the huge AKTIV font that used to cover the entire length of the fork.

I've seen the Scylon/Skylon in Plasma, Team, White and Red. Sadly, none of them appealed to me other than the white.

Anyway, here's some additional pictures of the Scylon in Edition Francais.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@leej88
Damn...that's one nice looking TIME :thumbup:
Definitely needs a build thread, still waiting for it!

mrgray

by mrgray

leej88 - hey how did you do the crank install? as in a bb adaptor (that screws together or similar) or just cups with loc-tite etc.

i have order mine (thru starbike no less) and must make preparations for its arrival (which is a long way off i think).

i have campag cranks of course but the idea stands. to date providers of adapters seem to be c-bear and infinite. then on the other hand there are just the campagnolo cups. i am used to BSA so this is all greek to me.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

leej88

by leej88

mrgray wrote:leej88 - hey how did you do the crank install? as in a bb adaptor (that screws together or similar) or just cups with loc-tite etc.

i have order mine (thru starbike no less) and must make preparations for its arrival (which is a long way off i think).

i have campag cranks of course but the idea stands. to date providers of adapters seem to be c-bear and infinite. then on the other hand there are just the campagnolo cups. i am used to BSA so this is all greek to me.

I had them pressed in using the Park Tool HHP-2 bearing press and the Park Tool BBT-30.3 bearing cup adapters.

Took me about 5 min to do up both sides without any hassles.

Spacing the cranks to get the right chainline took a bit longer as Campagnolo requires a chainline of 44.1mm measuring from the inner side of the Outer Chainrings to the centre of the BB.

Here's a list of tools and grease/lubricants I used to build up the bike:

And the build list (work in progress):

mrgray

by mrgray

wow @leej88, you are a rather organised chap aren't you? good for you!

and i note now that you used a ceramic speed bb.

i think i will wait and see if time include any cups with the frame. it is not impossible.

also i realise now that my xr2 is 386evo and seems to just have fsa or campagnolo cups and i have never had an issue with that (although setup was done by a very good mechanic).

i plan to set this one up. so i won't have the tool set you've got i think but will be investing in some sort of bb cup press.

one more thing though, i have asked for the TL seat post. but earlier in this thread there was talk that it might not be the best idea for the heavier rider. did you get any feedback like that during the ordering process? and how are you getting on riding it? any issues with the TL seatpost. it is not too late for me to beg christian at starbike to change the order for me i think.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

mrgray wrote:wow @leej88, you are a rather organised chap aren't you? good for you!

and i note now that you used a ceramic spe

one more thing though, i have asked for the TL seat post. but earlier in this thread there was talk that it might not be the best idea for the heavier rider. did you get any feedback like that during the ordering process? and how are you getting on riding it? any issues with the TL seatpost. it is not too late for me to beg christian at starbike to change the order for me i think.

I'm 92kg and over the last year I've done 4500 km on a Time Izon with TL. No issues at all. A dream of a bike.

leej88

by leej88

mrgray wrote:wow @leej88, you are a rather organised chap aren't you? good for you!

and i note now that you used a ceramic speed bb.

i think i will wait and see if time include any cups with the frame. it is not impossible.

also i realise now that my xr2 is 386evo and seems to just have fsa or campagnolo cups and i have never had an issue with that (although setup was done by a very good mechanic).

i plan to set this one up. so i won't have the tool set you've got i think but will be investing in some sort of bb cup press.

The Scylon translink edition ships with:

1. Frame
2. Fork
3. Quickset Headset
4. Cable guides for internal routed cables (for mechanical groupsets, remove it if you are using electronic)
5. Steerer Tube Top Cap
6. Rear derailleur hanger
7. Front derailleur hanger
8. Bottle Cage x2
9. Seat post (Round Saddle Rail Clamp is pre-installed)
10. Oval saddle rail saddle clamp
11. Two small rods for adjusting Quickset Headset
12. O-rings that act as cable stops x2
13. Cable guide holder (screwed into the upper portion of BB. To be removed if you are planning to use Electronic shifting)
14. Installation Guide (PDF files in a CD)
15. Rubber stopper to cover Electronic shifting port x2

I've checked with a couple of TIME dealers around Asia and Europe as well as TIME France and this seems to be the standard scope of delivery.

AFAIK, there are no cups or whatsoever that comes with the frame.

If you plan to run Campagnolo Cranks, you would need a BB386 BB Cup for Campagnolo

If you plan to run Shimano Cranks, you will need a Shimano specific BB386 BB Cup (24mm internal diameter).

Installation is pretty straight forward but make sure you remove the internal cable guide adapter prior to pressing the BB in.

The Park Tool BBP-1 tool would be perfect for setting it up. The HHP-2 that I have requires me to purchase the BB30.3 as the stock adapters do not fit. Also, you would be using the threaded portion rather than the sectioned hexagonal shaped sliding part for BB installation as the latter has a larger diameter than your BB bearing's internal diameter.

I prepped the BB section by wiping it down with a damp rag followed by some alcohol wipes. Pressed them in one side at a time. It would be great if you had the bike mounted on a stand that doesn't clamp onto the top tube of the bike.

As for the Translink seatpost, I've personally spoken to Christine of Time France (read about the translink not being suitable for heavier riders) and was assured that it's not an issue.

I'm built pretty big by biking standards (183cm, 90kilos) and haven't had any issues with the bike.

The only issue so far is that TIME has somehow left out my handlebars and I'm still waiting for them to have it shipped out.
Asides from that, I'm also waiting for the THM Fibula (2017 edition) from Starbike as well as the Selle Italia C59 saddle.

Hope that helps!

ms6073

by ms6073

[quote="yinya"Basically would I be able to use the Evoc bag with the translink/mast on the Skylon?[/quote]
I think that would depend on which size frameset. We have the EVOC soft sided cases with the internal frame and I was able to pack a size large Giant TCR Advanced SL without removing the saddle/mast topper but my saddle height was only 75 cm as measured from center of BB to top of saddle.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mrgray

by mrgray

@leej88 - wonderful information. thankyou.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

here is a custom paint time i found. seems to have francaise details with white bkgrd instead of nude carbon black.

for some reason i love it

Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

Very cool indeed. Be even better with Campagnolo :wink:

mrgray

by mrgray

@nafaiutb i didn't want to go there but yes, would be better with the campag and without the mavics IMHO
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

cpark

by cpark

That's an awesome looking Time!!!
What size is that an dhow much does it weigh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com