Time skylon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

Bringing this thread back from the dead a little, but wanted to see if you (Rockbite) had any updated impressions of they Skylon. Not a lot of real-world riding feedback from what I've found so curious to see how you like it.

Also, any idea if the EPS v2 battery will fit in the Skylon seat-tube?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rockbite

by rockbite

Hello all, and Dagger...... The bike is truly a dream..... my F8 has nothing on this thing. Ride quality is the main difference and the hand made thing makes it even better. Its very stiff and not as smooth as the VXRX or the RXRX ulteam but in my mind a good cross over from the specialized to the mainstream bikes. Again... it is not as polarizing as the F8. I ride this bike 9/10 times when i go out for my Sat bike rides.

So far 6 other people i know have purchased this, (as $10-$12K, i was just as surprised how many are sold) and they cannot keep the frames in stock at VELO Pasadena. Some have DI2 Dura on it and everything is great, some have Campy EPS electric on it but not sure if they have the V2 battery..... its the new one and it seems to fit just fine i do not see the battery. They said it hide the same in the seat tube like the DI2.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tom

mimason

by mimason

rockbite wrote:my F8 has nothing on this thing. Ride quality is the main difference and the hand made thing makes it even better. Its very stiff and not as smooth as the VXRX or the RXRX ulteam but in my mind a good cross over from the specialized to the mainstream bikes. Again... it is not as polarizing as the F8. I ride this bike 9/10 times when i go out for my Sat bike rides.

Can you explain. Do you have an F8? In prior post you indicated that you test road an F8 but preferred the Skylon. In what way do you mean that it is polarizing? In comparing the S Time and 54 F8 and the M Time and 55 F8 they have relatively close geometries unless I missed something.

I'm not trying to be critical. I would have the Skylon and two other bike on my radar if I were looking for a new bike but alas I have an F8 for the time being.
Thx

rockbite

by rockbite

Can you explain. Do you have an F8? In prior post you indicated that you test road an F8 but preferred the Skylon. In what way do you mean that it is polarizing? In comparing the S Time and 54 F8 and the M Time and 55 F8 they have relatively close geometries unless I missed something.

I'm not trying to be critical. I would have the Skylon and two other bike on my radar if I were looking for a new bike but alas I have an F8 for the time being.
Thx

F8, and i test road it and got one also....(Bragging rights your know) but i may just regret it since it just sits there.

They are similar yes.... but when you ride a TIME it's like "Comfort" Mode in an 550hp AMG car. the power is there if you need it, fast if you need it, and super comfortable if you just want to cruise. the TIME ride quality is bar none incomparable to anything on the market. Trust me it's night and day difference between the two bikes. F8 Harsh all the time but damn is it stiff when you need to power through it, like i said very nice bike.... but not a TIME.

Don't get me wrong F8 is nice, but you can always get a deal on an F8 from any dealer.....(even REALLY good ones right now) for a new Skylon very hard to even pay a little under full price....... for the frames.

kgt

by kgt

I totally believe that... It's a shame we don't see more riders on frames like Time Skylon.

mimason

by mimason

Can you post a pic of your F8 and Skylon together? Sorry, but I am beginning to doubt the credibility of your posts. Also, given that you previously owned a Dogma and now own an F8 to say it is harsh is suspect to me. Perhaps you prefer a more relaxed ride which is fine but you come off as a little over the top when you say that any top tier bikes regardless of make are not even close. Glad you like it though. Its a really nice looking bike.

If you post a pic of you on the Skylon or your measurements along with stem size, we'd understand your fit more because the setup looks wrong in your pic.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

Does anyone know how long the ISP measures on an AKTIV version bb to top (uncut), size XL?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Given I have no dealer anywhere near me or my state that would have one on site to look at, I was looking forward to checking them out at the TIME store in Paris. I was going to be there 2 weeks ago anyway. What a disappointment to find that even though Time still has the store and address on their site, the store is empty and closed down. Shame, but I never understood how such a boutique and low number production brand would be able to afford a store in such a high rent district in Paris, France!!

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I was told by someone who sells Colnagos and Time that if you're over 75kg than a Time Skylon Aktiv with the integrated seat post is not a good idea. He said either regular Skylon or a C60. The thing is, I'm really interested in the Aktiv technology--and Time does have a lifetime warranty, right?

Can anyone corraborate this? I am over 75 kg, probably between 80 - 85, but that's most on account of my height (a bit over 6'3").
What would be the reason that the ISP on the Skylon Aktiv wouldn't accomodate a 75kg + rider? Is this the case with other ISP bikes too?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

MiddMan wrote:I was told by someone who sells Colnagos and Time that if you're over 75kg than a Time Skylon Aktiv with the integrated seat post is not a good idea. He said either regular Skylon or a C60. The thing is, I'm really interested in the Aktiv technology--and Time does have a lifetime warranty, right?

Can anyone corraborate this? I am over 75 kg, probably between 80 - 85, but that's most on account of my height (a bit over 6'3").
What would be the reason that the ISP on the Skylon Aktiv wouldn't accomodate a 75kg + rider? Is this the case with other ISP bikes too?

I would contact Time directly over their web instead of asking here or dealers.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@ wheelsONfire, yes I did send TIME an email. Waiting for their response. Just thought I'd put it out there as it was the first time I'd heard of a bike having a weight limit that low... Many wheels and some bikes state that rider + bike should not exceed 100 or 120 kilos, but 75 seems rather low. I'll report back if I hear from Time.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

I know that what I'm about to say won't add much value but as a Time rider myself, I'll try to chip in as much as I can.

I'm not exactly sure as to how the frame will ride.. some rider impressions off the local mags (japanese) suggests a very frimly planted feel. While the make now offers two forks, the article did mention that the Aktiv fork, with its addtl weight and dampening capabilities really took away the feeling over the riders connection to the road. I guess this could be interpretted in a good/bad way.. for a person who spend time on touring, the fork would alleviate rider fatigue while as a raceer, the less buzz leads to some caution over bike handling.

I ride a RXR myself and find the front end a bit twitchy...Not that this is a negative remark, it simply implies that one will need a bit more time getting used to granted its a much more agile bike vs my prev Dogma FPX. I'm sure the added weight on the Aktiv fork should enhance cornering but remain unsure over how big of the diffdrence in performance the two forks will be.

I'd personally be happy with the standard fork.. but thats just me.. which in turn leads to the fact that I really don't need the ISP either..

Just my 2c..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MiddMan

by MiddMan

@ jimaizumi, thank you, this is actually extremely helpful. I have only found one review in English of the Skylon and it did not talk about the Aktiv technology. I certainly would not want to sacrifice road 'feel'; then again, I will not be racing it at all. I'll take a photo of some of the tarmac near me to give you an idea of why I'm considering the Aktiv :)

In fact, I am intending to get a C60 but I travel a lot for work and was considering getting a second bike so I don't have to travel back and forth with one. A costly investment, to be sure, but I've used my current bike for nearly 15 years... so why not? That and the fact that the C60 will likely take a long time to arrive, so it's not as if I need to build two bikes simultaneously. In any case I was considering Specialized (Tarmac or Venge?) or Canyon (Aeroad, since I could theoretically get it outside of the US) or else Time. Perhaps I'll start a separate thread to get input on the other choices too. Time does seem nice though.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

MiddMan wrote:Does anyone know how long the ISP measures on an AKTIV version bb to top (uncut), size XL?

Just got the response from Time too vis-a-vis my other questions:

Thank you for contacting TIME Sport USA and your interest in the Skylon AKTIV.

1) For the Skylon AKTIV, it is 79cm from the center of the bb to the top of the seatmast. Plus 3 cm of adjustability of the inner post and about 2 cm to the bottom of the seat rails. Max height from the center of the bb to the bottom of the seat rails would be about 84cm.

2) There is no official weight limit for the Skylon AKTIV frameset and you are completely safe at 190 lbs.

Thank you,

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would also go for none IPS version with standard fork. Something i have not seen though, are these forks tapered or none tapered?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com