2015 Rumours: Specialized Tarmac, Giant TCR, Cannondale S6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GeeTee

by GeeTee

Been trawling the interweb these past weeks researching my next purchase.

The three bikes above are on the shortlist and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of their 2015 ranges.

So far I've been unable to find any reliable info on what these brands have planned, but here's the rumours so far.

Specialized Tarmac - I'm hearing that the SL5/New Tarmac will filter across the range, replacing the SL4 and a new SL6 will come out for the S-Works bikes. I'm hoping that's the case as the SL5/New Tarmac is supposed to be not only lighter, but considerably stiffer and more comfortable than the SL4, which is already supposed to be a great bike

Giant TCR - The TCR Advanced has been in its current form for a couple of years now and I'm hoping should be due for an upgrade. What's unclear is whether or not the Advanced SL will simply filter down to replace the Advance and Giant will introduce a new top end TCR, or whether the TCR Advanced SL, with its integrated Seat Post (which I really don't like) will stay. I think Giant's TCR range is starting to look quite old tech compared to the competition - we'll see.

Cannondale Supersix Evo - Clearly a tremendous frame, but it hasn't really been updated for 2-3 years now. I've heard rumours about Cannondale borrowing the Power Pyramid design from the new Synapse Hi-Mod to redesign the Supersix, but I've not seen any prototypes used by Sagan etc, so not sure if this will materialise.

What say you Weight Weenies?
What have you heard?
What would you like to see?

mile2424

by mile2424

2015 Tarmac is already out and full released. It's not called an SL5 per se, just the 2015 tarmac.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sounds like you're quite influenced by whatever might be touted as the "latest and greatest" tech available. I don't like that seatpost junction on the Giants either. Why aren't you looking at offerings from Trek. Know your geometry and fit requirements first then match it up with the bikes you short list. But at the end you have to like the bike you get (for whatever reason) so obviously emotion comes into it as well. Just make sure it fits and then choose which package fits your budget and desires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

motormouth

by motormouth

I've been really impressed with Cannondale's ride quality/geometry. If I was looking, that would be my choice.

But as ^^ said, make sure you are thinking geometry first. Almost all those top shelf bikes are the same in my opinion (stupid low weights, stiffness/comfort/weight ratio touting, fancy marketing tech descriptors etc), except for fit.

motormouth

by motormouth

oh and also how pretty they are. that should be second after geometry.fit:

geometry
paint schemes
brand cache
tech features

tinozee

by tinozee

It's a good question if you prefer those brands. It's a drag to invest in a new setup just to have the new one roll out a month later. I haven't seen any new cannondales except the new Caad10, which has a new fork and paint. Cannondale are stuck in a good position though, the Evo and the Caad designs are great - they look awesome and perform just as well. I would hate to see them add a lame curve to the top tube or something just for a new frame. I'd love an Evo with a solid color paint and maybe an updated high end carbon like they have on the new Dogma.

New Tarmac trimmed off the seat tube which makes it tough if you have long legs and ride a smaller frame. I have been a Tarmac racer for a long time and have to bail on this new design because they've sloped it to death. No seatpost could be long enough for me in the right size.

Not sure about Giant, they don't fit me too well with the slack seat tubes. Did you check out Scott? The Addict SL is comparable to a Tarmac or Evo. Two other good brands to consider are Stevens and Canyon, but it's hard to find them in the US.

Of course, there are tons of other brands to choose from, but I get the sense you're looking for somehting sporty looking that can be bought through a local dealer.

weekapaugin

by weekapaugin

it doesn't look like the evo will be update this year, the color options were same or very similar to the 2014's from what I saw on the dealer's side of the website. From what I remember, the black inc remains, the 2014 hi-mod DA2 keeps the matte gray/black paint, and the ultegra di2 simply flip-flops where the black and white paint. There was also a kind of odd, retro red option somewhere in there. Rumor is they're going for a big update in 2016.

If you do some web sleuthing there are some rumors that the "new tarmac" will trickle down into the pro and expert lines this year, with the "10r" carbon on each, similar to current sl4 offerings.

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

evo not changing in a relevant manner this year - why? because it's already lighter and better...

But seriously, figure out what geometry will work best for you based on your goals (e.g. slam that stem, centuries, etc...) and then find a frame you can stand the looks of. Personally the curvy Specialized frames aren't appealing, and the ISP on the Giant is a no-go... but everyone wants different things!

GeeTee

by GeeTee

mile2424 wrote:2015 Tarmac is already out and full released. It's not called an SL5 per se, just the 2015 tarmac.

Hi Mile, sorry for the confusion. I did know that, hence when I said above "I'm hearing that the SL5/New Tarmac".

I was simply using that term to make sure it was clear to others what I was talking about. :thumbup:

GeeTee

by GeeTee

Calnago wrote:Sounds like you're quite influenced by whatever might be touted as the "latest and greatest" tech available. I don't like that seatpost junction on the Giants either. Why aren't you looking at offerings from Trek. Know your geometry and fit requirements first then match it up with the bikes you short list. But at the end you have to like the bike you get (for whatever reason) so obviously emotion comes into it as well. Just make sure it fits and then choose which package fits your budget and desires.

Thanks for the advice Calnago. I understand your point, but to reassure you I'm not "influenced by whatever might be touted as the "latest and greatest" tech" per se, more that I want to ensure my money is spent on a bike which incorporates the latest design, thinking and advances - but at the same time still meets my needs.

You make a great point re fitting, but I've been racing for more than 20 years and I'm also fortunate that my friend is a qualified bike fitter so between the two of us my position and fit are pretty sorted.

Clearly any bike I choose can't look a dog though! :wink:

GeeTee

by GeeTee

motormouth wrote:I've been really impressed with Cannondale's ride quality/geometry. If I was looking, that would be my choice.

But as ^^ said, make sure you are thinking geometry first. Almost all those top shelf bikes are the same in my opinion (stupid low weights, stiffness/comfort/weight ratio touting, fancy marketing tech descriptors etc), except for fit.

My brother rides a SS Hi Mod with Red and loves it. It's def high on the short list.

Re your point about weight though, I'm surprised how much weight there is between certain brands and builds in the same price bracket. Almost as much as 3lbs in some cases.

GeeTee

by GeeTee

tinozee wrote:It's a good question if you prefer those brands. It's a drag to invest in a new setup just to have the new one roll out a month later. I haven't seen any new cannondales except the new Caad10, which has a new fork and paint. Cannondale are stuck in a good position though, the Evo and the Caad designs are great - they look awesome and perform just as well. I would hate to see them add a lame curve to the top tube or something just for a new frame. I'd love an Evo with a solid color paint and maybe an updated high end carbon like they have on the new Dogma.

Totally agree with this point.

tinozee wrote:New Tarmac trimmed off the seat tube which makes it tough if you have long legs and ride a smaller frame. I have been a Tarmac racer for a long time and have to bail on this new design because they've sloped it to death. No seatpost could be long enough for me in the right size.

I agree, but I'm the opposite. Long back, shorter legs so not as much of an issue. Speaking to one of the Spesh UK honchos last week and he was telling me the idea behind the longer seatpost is to introduce more flex/comfort which can be tuned on the back of different seatpost stiffnesses.

tinozee wrote:Not sure about Giant, they don't fit me too well with the slack seat tubes. Did you check out Scott? The Addict SL is comparable to a Tarmac or Evo. Two other good brands to consider are Stevens and Canyon, but it's hard to find them in the US.

The slacker angles on the TCR aren't something that I'd traditionally prefer, all things being equal.

The new Addict is an interesting proposition. I'm a big fan of Scott as I also have a CR1 SL, but as there's not much being written about it at the moment I'm not sure how smooth it will be. The road surfaces in Scotland dictate that I couldn't by a Venge/Foil. Needs to be fast, but still offer some degree of comfort, which both the Tarmac and Evo apparently deliver in spades.

Heard too many horror stories about Canyon customer services and seat tube cracks to buy one of them. Shame, as the Ultimate CF SLX looks a wonderful machine...

GeeTee

by GeeTee

weekapaugin wrote:it doesn't look like the evo will be update this year, the color options were same or very similar to the 2014's from what I saw on the dealer's side of the website. From what I remember, the black inc remains, the 2014 hi-mod DA2 keeps the matte gray/black paint, and the ultegra di2 simply flip-flops where the black and white paint. There was also a kind of odd, retro red option somewhere in there. Rumor is they're going for a big update in 2016.

If you do some web sleuthing there are some rumors that the "new tarmac" will trickle down into the pro and expert lines this year, with the "10r" carbon on each, similar to current sl4 offerings.

Not sure I could hold off until 2016 for those new SS's

Heard those rumours re the Tarmac too. Wonder when they'll be confirmed...?
Last edited by GeeTee on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeeTee

by GeeTee

Thanks for all the replies guys. Keep them coming.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

99% sure the Tcrs will have no structural changes until 2016 mod year. Giant is having their sales meeting this week and next so we will know for sure very soon.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."