Modern Carbon Clinchers in the Dolomites - Wow

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sethjs

by sethjs

Just completed a 7 day trip through the Dolomites and Alps. One guy on the trip was ~200lbs on Aeolus 5 D3 clinchers and another was ~140lbs on 202 firecrest clinchers. The descents were of course very heavy on breaking. Stelvio. Giau. Gavia. Mortirolo. Etc.

Both reported exactly 0 issues with braking.

Very impressed...it would seem modern carbon clinchers really have solved the heat issues.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

...or they're just good descenders and don't drag their brakes?

Carbon clinchers don't automatically mean rim problems from braking - bad braking means rim problems from carbon clinchers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

Some of the earlier open mold offerings were a bit melty ;)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

motormouth

by motormouth

um, some of all the earlier offerings were accused of being a bit melty

Deleted the quote. as this is a reply. It isn't that hard to find that button. it is right next to the quote one.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Or maybe it's been rather cool temps lately too? I'm sure that 99% of the time they're going to work great, especially Zipp and Bontrager, I just don't to be around for that 1% of the time that they don't...

cajer

by cajer

Did you happen to catch what brake pads the guy on the Bontragers were using?

maquisard

by maquisard

Carbon clinchers are perhaps okay if you are riding by yourself, but definitely not in a sportive. There, your braking requirements are often dictated by the ability, or lack of, other riders dragging your brakes.

sharkman

by sharkman

Last week there was a load of wind/bad weather in the regions mentioned by TS. Anything over 30 mm was near impossible to ride and this was exactly the weather that causes even modern carbon clinchers overheat (the rider uses his brakes more than usualle to correct the influences of the wind and hence overheat the brake surface).
Carbon is nice under perfect circumstances for everything else high or low profile rims with an aluminium branking surface is the wiser choise (as said for solo rides under perfect circumstances most materials will hold).

JimV

by JimV

This conversation is getting old and stupid. I have been involved in crashes because morons don't know how to glue there tires on properly or think that 150psi on a tire that should have been replaced 2000 miles ago blows. If you ride your brakes on a long descent bad $^% happens, blown tires, rolled tires, glazed rotors. Every time someone mentions carbon clinchers the tubular only people come out of the woodwork preaching the gospel. If you have the skills or are willing to pay someone with the skills to glue your tires fine, if not I would rather the person going through the corner at 30+mph next to me be on carbon clinchers. Everyone has stories. If the wheels were so fragile that they blew up every time anyone would go down hill the manufactures would stop making them or go out of business from lawsuits.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

JimV wrote:This conversation is getting old and stupid.

+1

There are no problems with overheating these days in respect of top quality rims. But I wouldn't take a pair of cheap carbon clinchers from China to Northern Italy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com