Best Look pedal around?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

As per title. I already asked the same question by resurrecting an older thread but didn’t get enough visibility I guess.

I need to purchase new Look pedals for my new Venge.

What’s the best model around? The Look Carbon Blade Cr seems to be a good pedal as the Ti version is double the price for just a few grams saving. Will it work with cleats without grip only?

Thoughts?

Thanks a lo!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madik

by madik

Get Dura Ace pedals and thank me later. cheers.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

Antoine

by Antoine

Or Ultegra as the latest Dura ace have only 2 bearings, instead of three before.

shotgun

by shotgun

parajba wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:26 am
As per title. I already asked the same question by resurrecting an older thread but didn’t get enough visibility I guess.

I need to purchase new Look pedals for my new Venge.

What’s the best model around? The Look Carbon Blade Cr seems to be a good pedal as the Ti version is double the price for just a few grams saving. Will it work with cleats without grip only?

Thoughts?

Thanks a lo!
it'll work without grip cleats

Just to add the Dura Ace is just a few grams heavier than the Ti version, and is between the price of Look Ti and Cr. This can be an option if you don't have other bikes on Look
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

fluoroller

by fluoroller

I recently got a pair of Look Keo Blades. The ones with a composite body have an 8Nm tension option which I prefer. Using the grip cleats too.

Just moved from Shimano pedals. While the pedals were great, I didn't like the design of the cleats, as the small rubber blocks would come off fairly easily, making the cleats slippery to walk on.

sawyer

by sawyer

Overall I'd be in inclined to agree that DA pedals are a bit better

The best Look pedals ever were the first generation Blades Tis. Subsequent blades have creaked.

On the plus side for Looks is (i) the look (no pun intended), and (2) the weight ... which I think is just about noticeable vs DA ... at least it's in your head.

Against that the DAs do have more consistent quality of bearings (Looks are more hit and miss from pair to pair), they "hang" better ready to clip in, and they at least feel like they have a wider and more stable platform, with a fractionally lower stack height (1 mm lower?) ... and DAs are much cheaper at street prices ...

Cleats are a bit of wash for me ... neither are great to walk in! Look are a bit cheaper

If you get a non-creaking set of Blade Tis, and especially if they are first generation, then I'm inclined to say the pros and cons vs DA pretty much cancel each other out. DA are just a more consistent offering ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

parajba

by parajba

Thanks all, very informative.

Based on current prices the Look seems attractive but I read reports of some annoying play and creaking...

Look Carbon Blade Cr (12N):
£80
220 grams for the pair, 288 grams with cleats

DA 9100
£153
228 grams for the pair, don’t know the grams with cleats.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have a set of the first gen Look ti blades with the 16Nm blades. Tried them on my C59 when I first built it.
Tried the “walkable” cleats but they didn’t work so well while riding. So I got the regular cleats without the little “walking pads” and they were fine while riding but terrible for walking in. Plus, both versions wear out very quickly (relative to Shimano cleats). I don’t know how these Look pedals compare to other Look pedals. Spent about a hundred miles on them then took them off to go back to Dura Ace. Just can’t really say enough good about the Dura Ace pedal. Never even think about them. Really nice bearings. Spin super freely and always rest quickly at the exact same angle every time. Just never ever one single problem. And walkability is IMO just so much better than anything else out there, short of the recessed spd cleats in mtb shoes.
Weight for the Looks ~185g vs ~250g for the Dura Ace prior to 9100 and a little less for the 9100.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

I have been on Look since I won a pair of the very first versions. I still have them. Look has been very reliable. I currently run the Keo Carbon Blades and they have proven just as reliable as any Look pedal that has ever been made. I will say, since the 'old days' of Campagnolo Super Record and breaking Ti spindles, I have always used the steel spindle versions. As almost all of my stuff comes from the Teams (and most of them do the same), I have very little experience with the Ti versions. I like pedals tight and with no float, so I run 20nm blades and black cleats. Very solid.

dmp

by dmp

I have the previous generation Carbon Blades with Ti axels and have been very happy with them. I have the older generation ones on my steel frame bike, which replaced a pair of Look team issue PP196 pedals back from long ago. I've been very happy with them. I don't use the "walkable" cleats (which really aren't walkable anyway)- I just use cleat covers, which I think preserve the cleats better anyway.

parajba

by parajba

Thanks. How about the side play, I read some reports online that some Look carbon blade users complained about side play?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The best Look pedals have Shimano Dura Ace written on them!

kgt

by kgt

I would suggest Look Carbon Blade Cr. Light enough, not too expensive, they work fine.
I would also look at Time pedals. IME the best 'plastic' pedals in the market for many reasons: ergonomics, float, iclic, low weight etc. You can get a xpresso 2 or 4 for really cheap and both are approx. 220gr. Or even the new xpro at a liitle more than 100 euros.
Of course Shimano pedals are more durable with better bearings than both Look and Time. But that does not mean that Look or Time pedals will break or will cause you any problems. And if you want to walk with the cleats do not get road pedals. There are better alternatives.

TimF

by TimF

Look Carbon Blade Cr here, if you plan on riding in traffic I'd budget for the 8nm replacement blades (they stock them in Merlin cycles). I don't like getting out of the 12's they are quite difficult to detatch. If you are out in the countryside and don't clip in and out much they should be ok. No creaking at all here.

I find no problems with longgevity, you can also run really big float if you are prone to knee issues. Ebay has aftermarket ti spindles if you insist on these, with this kind of part I'd think carefully about wear versus weight.

LouisN

by LouisN

I also have the older first generation Keo Blades, and never had any problems with them, they probably have around 50 000 km on them.
I bought two sets of new Keo Blades and they both had issues with slack carbon plates.
I sent them back and switched to Keo 2 Max. They work really well and are durable.
I wish Look would keep the Keo 2 Max retention system (good old spring) and widen their platform ( like Shimano) = winner-winner solution.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com