Cavendish's Venge... new headset spacer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aaric

by aaric

I'd be real surprised if that setup isn't the most aero for his sprinting position, given my assumption he's been in the specialized wind-tunnel ;)

AGW

by AGW

As amusing as it may seem to criticize Cavendish's fit, it does seem like an odd config all of his previous Specialized bikes have been a 52 (or the rough equivalent in other brands). And if the contact points are the same as a result of stem length and top cap height, aero gains are possibly non-existant. Regardless, his winningest streaks were certainly on a slightly larger frame. He's a small guy, no doubt, but he's not a woman.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Stiffer frame?
Using Tapatalk

dunbar42

by dunbar42

KWalker wrote:Specialized mandates the spacer above the stem for fork warranty purposes for the aforementioned clamping issues. I know this because I didn't have one above there and had a steerer tube crack and they wouldn't cover it.

Specialized specifically prohibits you from (permanently) running spacers above the stem in their instructions. I think some people keep doing it on a Specialized because they're ignorant or just don't care.

WARNING! Do not permanently place stem spacers above the stem (Fig. 3). Placing spacers above the stem defeats the purpose of the expander plug’s ability to support the steerer tube and stem.

http://service.specialized.com/collater ... -Guide.pdf

Hastur

by Hastur

Nefarious86 wrote:Stiffer frame?

^one good reason, smaller frame/triangle = Stiffer

MuppetMower

by MuppetMower

I just wanted to know where to buy one of those spacer/dustcaps....

dunbar42

by dunbar42

MuppetMower wrote:I just wanted to know where to buy one of those spacer/dustcaps....

Specialized dealer...

climber8

by climber8

dunbar42 wrote:Specialized specifically prohibits you from (permanently) running spacers above the stem in their instructions. I think some people keep doing it on a Specialized because they're ignorant or just don't care.

WARNING! Do not permanently place stem spacers above the stem (Fig. 3). Placing spacers above the stem defeats the purpose of the expander plug’s ability to support the steerer tube and stem.

http://service.specialized.com/collater ... -Guide.pdf

That stem employs a thin shim and a special top cap that is directional based on the shim used such that regular spacers placed atop the stem cause the top cap to no longer sit flush. That specialized stem, thus, requires no spacers atop the stem, permanently.

Some manufacturers do require a spacer atop the stem for warranty purpose. As long as one's expander plug extends to or below the bottom of the stem, all is good.

jeffy

by jeffy

tinozee

by tinozee

Haha I saw that image too, and another where he's using the old zipp sprint stem. Who knows, could be a muscle strain or something that will get worked out. I have noticed he tends to adjust that often. I hope he has a good season and bites back at Kittel some.

jeffy

by jeffy

tinozee wrote:Who knows, could be a muscle strain or something that will get worked out.

He is probably just getting old. Rumor has it that he considered riding a Roubaix this year :twisted:

tinozee

by tinozee

Weird! Could be a million things with the body though. It's funny how people think that part is static with pro riders. Many of them get upwards of 10 even 20 frames a year and won't hesitate to cut and slam a stem fork for one week and have a new one the next with a 1cm spacer. I also find the reverse with a lot of fitting "experts", always proposing a more upright and short position if "you're not a pro" rather than thoroughly analyzing an individual's body, it's potential to adapt. The human part of the equation is the biggest variable and there are too many assumptions in all of the fitting talk.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

It's dumb to critique his fit when in actuality all that needs to be said is that the new setup looks* way worse than his old setup.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

:mrgreen: :lol: :D
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grouk

by grouk

mine

sorry for the bad photo quality