3t arx ii stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Does anyone have anything good to say about the arx ii?

The arx 1 tested well at fairwheelbikes but the 2 now has the 2 bolts closer together and 1 bolt for the steerer.. I was wondering if it might be a downgrade.

On the other hand.. one store listed arx made in china and arx ii made in taiwan.
Arx ii using t25 is more resistant to stripping out even if that means a new tool is needed

sychen

by sychen

I have a ii. Nothing much to compare with except a old Pro stem from 6 years ago. Much stiffer... No issues with the close bolt design though prefer the look if the mark 1. Yes the t25 is a pain in the backside... Good thing it is not something you adjust often.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kame

by kame

What I don't understand is why, with such low torque specs, are more manufacturers starting to use Torx-head bolts on stems? On most stems, you're only supposed to torque the bolts to 6 Nm or so.

It's a hassle when you want to make adjustments in the field. I have multitools with hex drivers, but none with Torx. Do we now have to carry tools for both hex and Torx?
In meiner Kette fehlt kein Glied, wenn die Lust von hinten zieht.

russianbear

by russianbear

Was stiffness an issue with the first iteration?

euan

by euan

kame wrote:On most stems, you're only supposed to torque the bolts to 6 Nm or so.

On most stems 5 or 6Nm is the maximum not the target. Which is probably why 3T chose to go with Torx

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The original arx stem bolts in steel or ti should never strip if torquing to recommended settings and lubing threads.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

euan

by euan

Max, not recommended

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com