friction problems with internal brake routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmp

by dmp

I am building up a Colnago CLX3 for my son and am having problems with excessive friction in the internal rear brake cable routing. It seems to me that the source is the bare cable rubbing against the housing stop inside the top tube. The brakes are Campy Record, and I'm using the Campy ultralow friction cables and housing, with no end caps on the housing (I don't think they even make them for the brake housing). I have checked and rechecked the ends of the cable housing and I don't see any burrs or deformation of the housing. You can actually hear the rubbing sound when you actuate the brake lever (although I cannot localize it to one end of the top tube or the other). This is the first bike I have had with internal brake cables, and perhaps I'm missing something. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I built up a CLX2 for a friend recently - same shape TT but external routing, and it's the first modern bike I've built that required a full length rear brake housing. With the entry/exit points coupled with the shape of the tube on the CLX3, I'd think it's rubbing on the tube. Does the CLX3 perhaps require full length housing too?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marcelflash

by marcelflash

Try nosed end caps from jagwire for example. The rubbing is most of the time in the exit part of the frame and the innercable bents a little bit going into the outher cable and rubs. The nosed end cap bridges this part of the frame and problem solved.

dmp

by dmp

Thanks, Marcel- I was thinking that might be my only solution, too. I will try to find some of these at my LBS tomorrow. Bikerjulio, I am sure that the internal routing on this frame doesn't use a full length cable housing- there are internal cable stops that would prevent doing this.