S-Works McLaren Tarmac...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

odin99

by odin99

interesting that Trek's new bike also will come with EE brakes. i wonder which one will be more expensive and lighter... (trek e(at)money vs. special-ed mclaren)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mile2424

by mile2424

20k for the McLaren Tarmac and 15-16K for the Trek.

jimborello

by jimborello

$23,000 in Mexico....... this is waaaaaay to much!

LouisN

by LouisN

LouisN wrote:I'm surprised the Specialized "prosecuting crew" didn't do anything about this bike owner's name.
Guess they don't speak french... :?

:lol:

Louis :)

OK, I Googled the name in question : Graphics Director at Specialized Bicycle Components. OK.

Louis :)

odin99

by odin99

so the trek frame is going to be lighter (~800g vs. 670g) and it will cost ~$5k less. hum. good. one. specialized.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I think these superbikes are crazy but just remember that nobody is forcing you to buy one.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

mile2424 wrote:20k for the McLaren Tarmac and 15-16K for the Trek.

But you get a helmet and shoes :lol:

Getter

by Getter

and you get an extra pair of clincher Rovals for "training"...

"Second complete set of CLX40 carbon clinchers for training included."

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/02/spe ... and-stand/

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

dunbar42 wrote:I think these superbikes are crazy but just remember that nobody is forcing you to buy one.

This guy gets it.

mythical

by mythical

NiFTY wrote:9-11% weight savings on a 900 gram frameset means the cheaper slr10 frameset is going to slay it weight wise.

I don't think so. Consider this:
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/new-bike-gear-previews/first-ride-2015-specialized-tarmac?page=0,1 wrote:The new bike will be available in three versions, setup for either hydraulic discs or rim brakes: The Pro and Expert options use the same frame, but come with different components; the S-Works uses higher-grade carbon that weighs 100 to 120 grams less. Specialized has not yet released prices or production weights, but the company claims that a painted S-Works frame weighs 966 grams and the fork comes in at 360 grams.
Specialized is said to quote 966 gram for a frameset including 360 gram fork, and the McLaren version is said to be 9-11% lighter, depending on size, so translated from a 606 gram frame means INSANELY LIGHT!! :shock: I wonder if it's true...

odin99 wrote:interesting that Trek's new bike also will come with EE brakes. i wonder which one will be more expensive and lighter... (trek e(at)money vs. special-ed mclaren)

I asked Craig, the guy from EE, and he was as surprised to see Bontrager copied EE's design, without permission. Only the McLaren uses the original, in this case the new EE brakes, which are up for release in August.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I don't think the 966g includes the fork. I read that as the frame is 966g and the fork is 360g?

It's crazy money for something like that though, if you are going to spend that much, why not something from Crumpton/Parlee etc?

grid256

by grid256

if you are going to spend that much, why not something from Crumpton/Parlee etc?

At the risk of sounding judgmental, I'm guessing the buyers of this bike will be unaware of those brands.

This thing is ugly, but I like the seatpost.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Astronomical price! Has marketing thought of introducing a lease program for anything over 10k?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wingguy

by wingguy

mythical wrote:Specialized is said to quote 966 gram for a frameset including 360 gram fork, and the McLaren version is said to be 9-11% lighter, depending on size, so translated from a 606 gram frame means INSANELY LIGHT!! :shock: I wonder if it's true..

No dude, they're quoting 966 for the frame plus 360 for the fork. Decently light, but not superlight.

mythical

by mythical

Indeed. For a frame this advanced, it's a boat anchor... As a McLaren car fan, my expectations for a bike frame aren't met and that probably goes for many others.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com