S-Works McLaren Tarmac...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rush

by Rush

I imagine that would be a factor. You have to remember that an F1 factory isn't like a normal commercial factory producing consumer goods. They build a couple of cars a year by hand. All the additional carbon fibre components (suspension components, body work etc) are all layed-up by hand. They also don't have the same mindset of budget constraints and penny-pinching.

wingguy

by wingguy

spytech wrote:understood... thats why i said, if ANY bike was HIT right it would break.

Which is both absolutely true and completely meaningless.

The driver compartment of any car can be crushed if you hit it hard enough, does that mean vehicle safety standards are irrelevant? A helmet won't save you from a big enough impact, does that mean helmets aren't useful?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

On the topic of lightness, and this is blasphemous on this website especially, but going lighter does not always make a better bike. I imagine they were going for ride quality and handling stiffness like they always have with the Tarmac. Spytech you keep saying that you could make it lighter but would you ruin the quality of the ride by doing so? The best handling and riding frames I've ever been on were a C40, a Dogma, and my S-works Tarmac; inversely I felt that the R3 SL, S5 VWD, and Trek 7 series (all frames that went for lightness) were handfuls to corner and ride. You say that the pros could easily use these lightweight bikes but its long been known that many opt for special, extra heavy layups for their bikes because it feels better to have the increased stiffness or special compliance even it weighs more and even if it doesn't directly effect performance.

Im thinking this McLaren is a bike made for these types of riders, like Mick and Fuslang, who will notice the difference. So they are also just selling it because why not make $20,000 off some rich dumb dumbs to make back some back from the customization of layup cost.

spytech

by spytech

shoopdawoop wrote:The best handling and riding frames I've ever been on were a C40, a Dogma, and my S-works Tarmac; inversely I felt that the R3 SL, S5 VWD, and Trek 7 series (all frames that went for lightness) were handfuls to corner and ride.

So they are also just selling it because why not make $20,000 off some rich dumb dumbs to make back some back from the customization of layup cost.

you made my point about them making money on people with way too much money or "dumb dumbs", your words.

wingguy wrote:
spytech wrote:understood... thats why i said, if ANY bike was HIT right it would break.

Which is both absolutely true and completely meaningless.

The driver compartment of any car can be crushed if you hit it hard enough, does that mean vehicle safety standards are irrelevant? A helmet won't save you from a big enough impact, does that mean helmets aren't useful?

the point being that the other frames mention are not less durable than this mclaren frame. they have passed the same test, or do you think your 2000watt sprint will crack the frame? lol. just because its heavier doesnt mean its stronger, more durable or stiffer. design and materials is what gets all these elements to where the engineer wants them.

carbon composites give the bicycle builder/maker the freedom to do much more. just look at rolo, ax-lightness, trek emonda, etc. you can tune the character of the bike, weight, stiffness to ride how you want. because the bikes mention c40 etc are what you like, doesnt mean they are good. are you the ultimate bike tester and the last word on cycling? because you like it doesnt mean everyone else will.

btw. erik zabel had a SPIN bike with Colnago painted on it, cause the custom spin rode better, and it was a lot lighter. go figure.

wingguy

by wingguy

Ok. There's no way to use extra weight to create a stronger or stiffer bike. Fine.

FWIW, how would it fit your assumptions if I told you I ride a 750g frame?

jwilliams

by jwilliams

Good day all. Quick note. I have had many bikes over the years. Time rxr, rxrs, C59 with Di2 C59 with campy 11, 2 Zero.7’s and I just placed an order for the McLaren Tarmac. I have a thing for bikes that many folks don’t ride. Traditionally a fan of lugged handmade bikes. I am not a big box bike fan, but have admired the McLaren line. Now say what you like about the bike, but since no one in the general public has had one yet any view is just based on personal preference. I also have had many cars, and when I bought my last GTR no one could demo the car. My Ferrari friends called me traitor, even low class for buying a car that only the motor was hand built. In contrast it has been my favorite car to date. After I let a few skeptics drive the car they have sold their 458 Italia’s and have GTR’s. Each car like bikes are built for different people with discrimination in taste. Regardless of price, company, and country of origin we all strive to find what fits our needs and desire. You’re welcome to say what you want about the bike, or my purchase. I will take no offense. Just know I make my purchase based on my emotion, the passion for bikes and to add another ride to my collection.
I bring this up as the bashing of the McLaren S-works has been very one sided and I hope to give a voice to people like myself who have taken the leap of faith in such a bike.
Wilier Zero.7 SR11 being built
2011 C59 Di2 AX SRT 24's, THM Calvica, Fibula
2010 RXR VIP @ Red RXR Sold
MY RXR VIP-> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;