Tune MAG 170 Flange Broken

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Razor

by Razor

My 2 year old Tune Mag 170 hub broke while sprinting over an overpass today. At first I thought it was a broken spoke, when I got home (a couple of minutes later), I saw two spokes hanging from the rim. Then I noticed it, the DS flange completed broken off. :cry:

When Troy Watson (Ligero Wheelworks) worked at his own shop, he built a wheel set for me with Mig 70 and a Mag 180, after a year and a half it began to creak. Sent it to Fairwheel Bikes and they fixed it with the Tune "fix". It creaked again so they took the hub in as a trade-in and offered me this Mag 170.

The wheel was then rebuilt around the new Mag 170, again by Troy Watson for Fairwheel Bikes, built with Sapim C-Xray and Alu Nipples and laced to Nio30 rims.

I'm bummed, I like the hub. This is the first time I've broken a hub flange in over 25 years of riding and racing. I guess I'll just give them a call and see what they say about it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23398613@N08/14553909985/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

As a sprinter with a set of 56mm tubulars with this hub...doesn't make me feel any better.

Time for them to do a recall along with the Alchemy ORC UL....

blantonator

by blantonator

one failure and you want to recall thousands of hubs?
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please stop using quotes for replies.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

that's a bummer. what do you weigh?

Razor

by Razor

Between 165-170lbs. It was a 5% grade, about 60 meters long and I was in my 53/12. I hope to talk to them today, I don't know what to expect but am hoping for some good news. The rear wheel is 28 spokes.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to quote. this is a reply. you can find that button right next to the quote button. Thanks!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

we are the same weight. i hope my mag 170 does not break either.....

Razor

by Razor

Good news! Fairwheel Bikes got back to me via email. They said that they have sold over 500 of the Mag 170 hubs and have only seen one other flange break. Although I am outside of my 2 year warranty by 3mos, they offered to either a) send me a new hub or b) have me send them the wheel and they will rebuild it around a new 170 hub at no charge. Fairwheel Bikes proves again, they have top-notch customer service. Their service is much appreciated. I'll be sending the wheel back in a couple of days.

:beerchug:
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: and another quote changed to a reply.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

good to know! i've had two wheels built by fairwheel with the tune hubs....

Razor

by Razor

Odds are, that you won't have the same thing happen to your hubs. :thumbup:
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wow, already spend 10 mins cleaning only this topic.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

blantonator wrote:
Zigmeister wrote:As a sprinter with a set of 56mm tubulars with this hub...doesn't make me feel any better.

Time for them to do a recall along with the Alchemy ORC UL....

one failure and you want to recall thousands of hubs?

Yeah, that is exactly what happened with Alchemy ORC UL hub. 1 failure, research and testing performed, recall all of them.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Thats because the bolt that failed did not pass the more rigourous testing Jeremy put it through so I think Jeremy expected fatigue failure of many hub in time hense the recall. One failure on the tune hub could mean an inclusion in the metal used in the hub flange it does not mean there is anything wrong with the design. Two completely different situations. If I was tune I would not be recalling just yet.

Razor

by Razor

Well, the replacement hub started to develop a creak a few months later. Sending it back now to have FB look at it. All of the benefits on the 170 don't outweigh the hassle of spending money shipping them back for fixes :x

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bummer... I'm really hoping that the creaking was solved in the 170... because eventually I planned to have some Sl23 laced up with mig/mag combo.
I planned on using a 28h in the rear.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Razor

by Razor

I'll post an update when FB gets the wheel back and informs me on what they found. If history repeats itself, it'll be blamed on some issue not related to design or construction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peruffo

by peruffo

I'm surprised that a broken Tune flange is news to you - in the shop where I used to work, there is box full og broken Tune hubs, almost all have this failure. There is another box full of broken PMP and FRM hubs. Actually Tune, PMP and FRM work quite well for their weight, just don't expect years and years of service, especially if you can produce tons of watts pedalling!

The broken hubs can serve as donors for bearings and axles, the former are sometimes the original one Tune put in, so they outlast the flanges!