Tune MAG 170 Flange Broken

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I'm going strong on my Tune 70/170 combo. Every set of wheels I've owned for the most part used tune hubs. I'm not the strongest sprinter and I'm the highest cadence climber you'll ever see. I've had good luck with Tune hubs, minus the creaking in the 180's.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

smoby

by smoby

The flange broke of my tune hub. It was a front hub. I still have the back but I cannot wait to get another wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smoby

by smoby

In fact as soon as I reach 30 posts I am selling the tune hub on here! The front has shaken my confidence and although the rear has outlasted it I cannot stop worrying,

1415chris

by 1415chris

I owe you an update.
Tune based on the pics only, without any questions sent replacement.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I was the lucky one this time... Mig 70 flange cracked:

This is already out of warranty. I emailed Starbike, and they are in contact with Tune, but after waiting one month for a response, I am starting to analyze alternatives. If I have to buy a new hub, I would like something more reliable, but at least close in weight. Being able to re-use the spokes would be a bonus.

Any recommendation for a light & reliable front hub? And with a matching light rear hub? A WI T11 front is probably close in weight (+15g), but I think the difference for the rear is bigger.

Rims are Zipp 303 FC tubulars. I weight 82kg, and need a stiff wheel (sold a set 404 clinchers with previous generation Zipp hubs because they would touch the frame on out of saddle efforts).

kavitator

by kavitator

bitex raf 12

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Speaking from experience, the front flange failing like that is not a fun one to have. I was doing 30+ MPH in a turn when mine had the same issue @AndreLM Mine was replaced and I kept using it's replacement until I sold the wheels. Hopefully you managed to keep it upright!

spud

by spud

AndreLM wrote:I was the lucky one this time... Mig 70 flange cracked:

This is already out of warranty. I emailed Starbike, and they are in contact with Tune, but after waiting one month for a response, I am starting to analyze alternatives. If I have to buy a new hub, I would like something more reliable, but at least close in weight. Being able to re-use the spokes would be a bonus.

Any recommendation for a light & reliable front hub? And with a matching light rear hub? A WI T11 front is probably close in weight (+15g), but I think the difference for the rear is bigger.

Rims are Zipp 303 FC tubulars. I weight 82kg, and need a stiff wheel (sold a set 404 clinchers with previous generation Zipp hubs because they would touch the frame on out of saddle efforts).

If you are a big strong beast, stop dicking around with light weight hubs - the weight has to come from somewhere, and the shell is the easiest place to go. White Industries will treat you well, and you'll never notice the extra weight.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

tonytourist wrote:Speaking from experience, the front flange failing like that is not a fun one to have. I was doing 30+ MPH in a turn when mine had the same issue @AndreLM Mine was replaced and I kept using it's replacement until I sold the wheels. Hopefully you managed to keep it upright!

To be honest, I didn't fall because I was on rollers. Long story short on why I was using tubulars on rollers in the first place: group ride was canceled because of rain, but I was with full kit on. I was too lazy to change the wheels to clinchers. It would definitely be a nasty fall if this was on the road.

spud wrote:If you are a big strong beast, stop dicking around with light weight hubs - the weight has to come from somewhere, and the shell is the easiest place to go. White Industries will treat you well, and you'll never notice the extra weight.

I would not classify myself as a strong beast, but fully aware that I am not that lightweight. My 1st option is WI, but just wondering if there is anything that is "strong enough", lighter than WI, and still builds a stiff wheel.

spud

by spud

DT 240/350 also seem durable, and now that nearly everyone is on 11 speed, the rear flange geometry is decent. If you absolutely need light weight fronts, see if you can track down Alchemy Elf hubs. Wheel mfg took over the mfg, so they are probably pretty nice, though unproven.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Contact Tune directly. They swiftly replaced my hub although it was already beyond the warranty cover. At the same time not much help from Starbike, where the hubs were bought from.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

spud wrote:If you are a big strong beast, stop dicking around with light weight hubs - the weight has to come from somewhere, and the shell is the easiest place to go. White Industries will treat you well, and you'll never notice the extra weight.

I would not classify myself as a strong beast, but fully aware that I am not that lightweight. My 1st option is WI, but just wondering if there is anything that is "strong enough", lighter than WI, and still builds a stiff wheel.[/quote]

wow!! I find this a bit alarming!! Glad to hear you weren’t injured. How heavily are you?
Fwiw, I have Alchemy ELF hubs on 2 wheel sets and soon to be on a third front wheel too. They are fantastic hubs and only 65g. Widest bracing angles I e seen on any front hubs (helps with stiffness) and the bearings are place more laterally to increase stiffness too. I’ve done about 45000km on one of the hubs and even been hit by 2 cars and a bus with that front wheel on. Cracked a time bit off one of the end caps when the second car hit me. I just replaced the axle and it’s be solid since (15000km at least since then).

Alchemy went bust some years ago now but I believe it was wheels manufacturing that did the machining for Alchemy before and they now sell the hubs under a different name on their website. http://wheelsmfg.com/hubs/front-road-hubs.html
Easy to build with and require virtually no maintenance (at least I’ve never had to give them anything other than new bearings once). If it helps any my weight varies between 73-78kg