2014 cannondale synapse with Chris king bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shogunade

by Shogunade

I have scoured the internet for the past two days and have found nothing. My lbs is clueless as well. So this is where I am. The 2014 synapse is a bb30 bb, and I bought sram red 22 crankset which is also bb30. So I thought while I'm at it I want to change out the bracket with Chris kings.

I initially thought that the ck press fit 30 would work, but after reading the bikes manual it looks like I might need an adaptor sleeve that would change the bb30 to a threaded English and then get the ck threaded bb.

Pls anyone with knowledge put me out of my misery. Thx. I also have emails out to both cannondale and ck. so for those of you that are in the same both I'll post what they say...if they ever respond.

Saoi

by Saoi

I don't think the PF30 cups will physically fit into a BB30 frame, since I believe the BB30 shell is physically smaller (42mm vs 46mm). Regardless, the crankset should work on your Synapse out of the box anyway since they're both BB30. If you're wanting to upgrade your bearings, you'll just need replacement BB30 bearings (I don't know that Chris King makes them- Cannondale does both steel and ceramic flavours, and I think HSC makes some aftermarket ceramic).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Last time I checked ck does do bb30 bearings

Oswald

by Oswald

If the frame and crankset are both BB30, then you don't need any adapters. Just get a BB30 bottom bracket...

Shogunade

by Shogunade

Thx guys, but I was psyching myself into wanting the ck bracket. Anyway...I think I'm just going to get the hawk or c-bear bearings. Any thoughts?

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

beware: Synapse is not a regular BB30, it's an BB30a, so i don't know if CK will fit. Crappy bb standards...

http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/ ... BB30-BB30A

Shogunade

by Shogunade

de lars cuevas wrote:beware: Synapse is not a regular BB30, it's an BB30a, so i don't know if CK will fit. Crappy bb standards...

http://support.cannondale.com/hc/en-us/ ... BB30-BB30A

Yea..just read that on another thread. I have to exchange the fragging sram bracket cause I got the 68mm and not the 73mm. :noidea:

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Don't swap the bottom bracket. Swap the crank, because it won't work. SRAM red cranks are pure bb30, meaning they have 68mm of space between the arms, plus a little extra for preload stuff. The Synapse is 73mm. Asymmetric. Basically an extra 5mm on the left side only. Heard of BBRight? Well, this is BBAlmostRight. Neither of which I consider "correct". If I were choosing, I'd go with a Cannondale SiSL2 or Si Forged if on the cheap(er).

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

same bearings fit, just wider hub shell. true bb30 is not dependent on hub shell width...
also, generally at the Red level, Quarq "bb30" cranks are bbright therefore bb30-a ... perhaps time for an upgrade?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

thisisatest wrote:Don't swap the bottom bracket. Swap the crank, because it won't work. SRAM red cranks are pure bb30, meaning they have 68mm of space between the arms, plus a little extra for preload stuff. The Synapse is 73mm. Asymmetric. Basically an extra 5mm on the left side only. Heard of BBRight? Well, this is BBAlmostRight. Neither of which I consider "correct". If I were choosing, I'd go with a Cannondale SiSL2 or Si Forged if on the cheap(er).

You can run the Red crank on BB30A. You just have to ditch the bearing preload adjuster and use a wavewasher instead.