Caad 10 3 - Rear Derailleur Bracket Broke

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrdebrou

by mrdebrou

So I went on a ride this afternoon and just after leaving my rear derailleur hanger breaks. The bike was bought brand new, and is only 6 months old so I will be going back to the shop I bought it from for warranty work. I am guessing they will replace the cable, chain, rear derailleur, hanger. I have a few bent spokes, but does anyone think I'll get a new wheel compared to spokes? Does anyone see anything else I should be aware of before bringing it in?

After reading more about the derailleur hangers, I see that this is not that far from uncommon but is there anything that can be done to help prevent this.

It really sucks that my frame is scratched only being 6 months old.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

That's the CAAD10 achille's tendon.

My 100 lbs 12 yrs old daughter broke two hangers the last three weeks. The second one just rolling over (really bad I must say) "potholes" in a race.

Louis :)

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

That's what happens when hanger alignment is not checked out of the box and/or RD is not correctly setup - unless you've taken a spill or dropped the bike on the RD at some point.

Highly doubt they'd give you a new wheel, spoke replacement/true is more likely.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

For a six month old bike I doubt you'll get much in terms of warranty. From a shops point of view that was more than enough time for you to knock the hanger out of alignment.

Oswald

by Oswald

mattyNor wrote:For a six month old bike I doubt you'll get much in terms of warranty. From a shops point of view that was more than enough time for you to knock the hanger out of alignment.

Yep, I used to work in a bikeshop for several years. I would be very surprised if the shop warranties a new chain, derailleur, etc... for a broken hanger...

mrdebrou

by mrdebrou

Well hopefully it is covered, I'm going down to the lbs after work. Considering this bike only has 100 miles on it and has never been laid down. That will make me real happy since I did nothing and it'll cost me. I would seriously look into selling it and go back to my 1.2 that I never once had issues with and only costed me 500 compared to 2000.

kode54

by kode54

shame. they'll have to replace spokes (most likely the route they will take), replace chain since its twisted and not straight anymore, housing and RD shifter cable, and of course the hanger. i personally would get a WM hanger, not the one that is factory...as most of those are cast alloy or aluminum. the more expensive ones are typically CNC'd from a solid block.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Cannondale has NEW hangers for CAAD10 and the like. It is much thicker on the outer side, and much, much stiffer. One visual clue is there is a window cutout between the axle and rear derailleur mount.
This will be significantly better than the WheelsMfg one as well.

mrdebrou

by mrdebrou

thisisatest wrote:Cannondale has NEW hangers for CAAD10 and the like. It is much thicker on the outer side, and much, much stiffer. One visual clue is there is a window cutout between the axle and rear derailleur mount.
This will be significantly better than the WheelsMfg one as well.

Do you know where you can buy these new hangers. I actually getting a WM hanger, but would be interested in the new one. Do you know if is CNC'd or is it cast?

motormouth

by motormouth

+1 to buy - guessing contact a dealer shop.

headwind816

by headwind816

Cannondale experts has them for $25

motormouth

by motormouth

They are out of stock, but is part no. KP158 the 'new' hanger? None of the pics show the 'window' mentioned.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com