Campy build dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building a new bike; a Colnago C60 (after my Blue AC1 has been stolen :( )

I would like to have it ready to roll in August as I will be needing it at that time. The plan was to build it around the new 2015 Campy SR mechanical. I have been reading lately that the groupset will not be available before October or so..

Shall I just get Campy SR "RS" or sit tight and wait for the new grouppo to come out? :noidea: :noidea:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Chorus EPS can be brought.. Is pretty nice..
The super record RS is a very nice looking gruppo though!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

Why do you want the new one? Just to have the newest flashiest or is there some need like to swap between compact/standard gearing day in and day out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish

by Irish

Latest Colnago will deserve the latest groupset imho, patience needed :)

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Chorus components are available. Why buy something that is already out dated. I would wait.

Next Summer, you'll wonder why you bought the RS version.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Butcher wrote:Chorus components are available. Why buy something that is already out dated. I would wait.

Next Summer, you'll wonder why you bought the RS version.

I agree 100%. I really like the look of the 2015 groupset. Patience is a virtue.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes... 2015 group on that for sure. There's some nice enhancements. Are you ordering the C60? If so, and you're set on a mechanical group, I would request a mechanical frame only versus the dual elec/mech version that would be standard. Not sure if they would do that but it's worth a request. Also, go crazy and get the 2015 Bora Ultra Twos as well. I know, getting crazy expensive, but wow.... What a bike you would have. Wouldn't have it all by August however, but it'd be worth the wait in the end. Next season you'd be glad you waited.

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Yes definitely not putting Chorus on a C60!
Will probably wait then.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Calnago, I already have a pair of Enve 3.4 clinchers and a pair of Corima Viva MCC S tubulars.
Will alternate both wheelsets between the C60 and my Z1.
I don't think they make a mech only frame but will ask.
Cheers

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Mechanical only would not be standard but if you were placing and order from scratch choosing your color etc and could wait, they might accommodate you. Just makes for a cleaner build than the "dual" (I don't know what I want) framesets. If you think you might want to switch down the road then by all means get the dual frame. But if you know you want mechanical now and going forward then get the mech only frame if doable.

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TimW

by TimW

I've got to disagree with Calnago. Save yourself some effort and get the dual. You may want electronic in the future and there is a fair bet that the person you sell the frame onto in the future will want that too. I wouldn't even consider a mechanical or electronic only frame these days.

TK421

by TK421

I am in the same boat. Planning on getting the new C60 in a year or so...but damn, can't stand the looks of the new 2015 Campag chainset. Might just buy the `14 SR and keep in the box for the C60 build. What's the leading time on C60 frames in the UK?

RippedUp

by RippedUp

I believe Colnago stops producing during the month of August. And resumes in September. Lead time is ~3-6 weeks if I recall.

TK421

by TK421

Thank you RuppedUp! I would presume the leading time is the same for all the countries.

Back to your topic, I would consider both the options in the future - mech & eps. So you can get SR 14 cheaper over the winter and put it on the bike, or wait a bit and get mech/eps 15 grouppo for next year. I am sure the new SR 15 will function very good, even better than the current SR 14...but is it that good? Will it make a difference to us? Is it worth it?

LionelB

by LionelB

I am confused you said you needed the bike up and running in Aug, now you are talking about the winter. I have the SR RS gruppo it works very well and the front shifting is better than "older" SR and is supposed to be the same as the new 2015 line. But the difference between the various campy SR gruppo won't be night and day. They all shift very well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com