Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Whoops.....there goes the stiffness-weight-comfort index out the window!

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

More than 10% over claimed weight? Bit of a joke that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Went for a quick look around the Trek dealer near me today and they had one on the floor on loan from Trek UK. Managed to weigh it, for the 56cm size it was 4.7kg without pedals, cages etc. No scale shot I'm afraid.

Edit: That's for the SLR10 with the standard spec, Tune wheels, saddle etc.
Last edited by campbellrae on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

4.7kg built is pretty damn impressive built up in fairness.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

It would be more impressive with an actual component list to get to that weight.
Edit: I guess this is the trek spec component list.....tune stuff, etc.
Last edited by goodboyr on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

Anything short of outright exotica is good going.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Thats the problem. The way they get to that weight is with "exotica".

djconnel

by djconnel

wojchiech wrote:just got my 54cm h1 frame this week, weighed 765g with der. hanger. 75g over claimed (and a size smaller too). a bit disappointed, but still built up beautifully. 12.8 lbs with my stans/bhs wheels. i'll try to make my own thread soon...

Was that with the vaporcoat paint option?

Your number is very close to what CyclingNews reports for a frame with conventional paint:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/trek ... erm-review

In any case, I'm tired of hearing that a frame "could be built up to ...." insert whatever, since other components have more influence on final weight than the frame, which gets almost lost in the noise. Even the saddle can have as big a difference.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

+1!!

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I ordered the SLR frameset which is only available with the matte dnister black/red finish, and is not a vapor coat. I believe the vapor coat is only available on the SLR 10 complete, or if you go Project One. I'm assuming the difference in paint is the cause for the frame weight discrepancy, or at least most of it. Funnily enough, I did go mechanical Shimano 9000 for my build, the same group spec'd on that SLR 8 that cyclingnews reviewed. In the weight-weenie spirit though, I skipped the heavier parts like the brakes and pedals for EEs and Bebop pedals with Ti spindles.

Anyways, like I said previously, I'll try to finally start my own thread in the intro/gallery section & get some good photos of it this coming week. This is the nicest bike I have ever owned and ridden, and I guess that's good enough reason. :beerchug:

BigPoser

by BigPoser

So I'm looking at several frames and one of them is the Emonda SL (size 56). Looking at the geometry, it seems to me that it's neither a race or a endurance geometry but something in between. The R3 is one of the other frames that I'm looking at (also in a 56),and its geometry is VERY similar to the Emonda.

Will the geometry experts please chime in on this? What is it really?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

wojchiech

by wojchiech

BP, you're on the money about being in between race and endurance. Geometry wise it is not as racy as the Madone, but still more aggressive than the endurance-focused Domane. The measurement of the H1 and H2 versions of Trek's frames are just to cater to people with a wide range of flexibility, the only differences being in the head tube length, stack, and reach measurements. It really comes down to which fits you best, and you are really the only person who will be able to determine that. :thumbup:

1234SO

by 1234SO

BigPoser wrote:So I'm looking at several frames and one of them is the Emonda SL (size 56). Looking at the geometry, it seems to me that it's neither a race or a endurance geometry but something in between. The R3 is one of the other frames that I'm looking at (also in a 56),and its geometry is VERY similar to the Emonda.

Will the geometry experts please chime in on this? What is it really?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

The Cervelo R3 geo is very close to the emonda 56 in H2 (reach/stack are almost the same). The emonda in H1 is much more aggressive. Its head tube is 14.0 cm compared to 17.3 cm of the Cervelo R3.

MattBeOne

by MattBeOne

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a Emonda SL6, i can get my hands on one for around 1700eur. I will be using the bike for racing at elite level. Cobbles, hills, flat stages all will come by. I'm looking at pairing it with a set of Fulcrum racing 1 or Zero wheels.

You guys think it will be a proper bike for this? Or should I look elsewhere?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

You should stop trolling. If you're at the elite level in any country you should find a team that will give you a free bike as your limiters will be far greater than your equipment.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike