Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

I think riders over 180 lb need to give a bit more attention to durability and less to getting the lightest bike possible. OTOH, a bike designed for maximal durability is going to be overbuilt for riders in the 120-140 lb range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Yes, that should be common sense. Yet I've seen huge riders wanting the lightest this and that sometimes. I need a bike to feel solid underneath me. I get that I may not be able to ride the same bike that a 150lb rider can. I've had wheels that scared the crap out of me descending and had a really bad crash using them. Can't say with 100% certainty that it was due to the wheels, but I do know that's the reason I got rid of them. I lost all confidence in them. I sold them to a friend who weigh 150lbs and he absolutely loves the wheels. No problems at all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:Don't those wheels have something like a 180lb rider weight limit?

The UK distributor said they don't but they advise anyone over 100kg to look elsewhere. He also said that if the customer's actually going to ride them a lot then for noticeable stiffness benefits they prefer to use (I think) standard mig/mags and lace 2x/3x on the rear instead of radial/2x and take the 100g weight penalty.

but I wouldn't ride that thing at 50mph down some windy descent, let alone one with turns in it.

Feel free to send it to me then, I'll happily give that a go! :wink:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

wingguy wrote:
Calnago wrote:Don't those wheels have something like a 180lb rider weight limit?

The UK distributor said they don't but they advise anyone over 100kg to look elsewhere. He also said that if the customer's actually going to ride them a lot then for noticeable stiffness benefits they prefer to use (I think) standard mig/mags and lace 2x/3x on the rear instead of radial/2x and take the 100g weight penalty.

Hmmm... well I think that says a lot right there, unless of course, you're not "actually going to ride them a lot". :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

:wink:

I think most of those wheelsets they sell will have, let's say, an easy life...

maquisard

by maquisard

wingguy wrote:I think most of those wheelsets they sell will have, let's say, an easy life...

Ha, great quote! Three laps of the park on a Sunday morning you mean?!

Svetty

by Svetty

Stop being a load of pussies!! :D :D

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Well, I have an answer to the question of the seat mast weights!

175mm, 20deg setback. Standard = 96g, SLR = 92g

Seat clamp (9x7mm). Standard = 61g, SLR = 49g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

mpower wrote:Weigh a size 52cm Emonda SLR10 the other day: 4.84 kgs.

seriously?? :lol:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

1234SO wrote:Got my ermonda slr. Very nice indeed but you can press the upper wall of the top tube in. It returns to normal of course but i am a bit concerned as it needs to be treated like an egg. I consider to buy a 3t bar and stem for it. Any thoughts on this?

the CR1 I had a couple of years ago was like that too (or was it an Addict, can't remember... :oops: ). I sold it imidiately to a friend of mine, it was a fantastic bike to ride but appeared to be very, very fragile
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

stripes

by stripes

4.84 kg WOW!

toblu

by toblu

O just bought a Emonda Slr frame with vapor coat.
Its being shipped right now.
It is just a clean frame, need all komponents.
Is there anyone on this forum that can help me with Headset? You think i should buy same as Trek put on the Slr 10 or is there some other good options out there?
I wanted to start my own threed but im new at this forum.
Sorry if my spelling sucks, Im from Sweden.

toblu

by toblu

Thing i got right now for my build is:
Frame: Emonda Slr with vapor coat
Wheels: Enve 3.4 clinher
Sadel: Tune speedneedle

Think i will buy Sram red 22 E-tap.

All other stuff is not desided.

Im open for sugestions.

boots2000

by boots2000

I would put a Can Creek headset with two bearings.
The headset from the SLR 10 has a bushing- it is light but it is crap.

toblu wrote:O just bought a Emonda Slr frame with vapor coat.
Its being shipped right now.
It is just a clean frame, need all komponents.
Is there anyone on this forum that can help me with Headset? You think i should buy same as Trek put on the Slr 10 or is there some other good options out there?
I wanted to start my own threed but im new at this forum.
Sorry if my spelling sucks, Im from Sweden.

toblu

by toblu

I found this webshop that have all stuff with actual weights.
https://r2-bike.com/Headsets
I havent seen this shop earlier. What headset is lightest and working? Maybe with 2 bearings is a good idea? Thanks Boots 2000 for your reply.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com