Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uraqt

by uraqt

I think all the light weight manufactures are at the point of to get the bike lighter it's all in the layup and it's just way too much labor to mass produce....

(or a different way to look at it is that they have removed all the excesses carbon they can)

I think we are kinda at the end of the road, waiting on new materials ... they might start using more powerlux resin but it's 7 times as much as normal resin and I would bet that there are trade offs using it : )

C

PS Is the SLR frame lighter with the Vapor paint?

djconnel

by djconnel

$3000 for an aero frame is if you throw away your old one. If you're deciding between two bikes of the same cost, the dollar cost of aero is zero. That's what I'm talking about here: Madone or Emonda? The Emonda simply looks slow -- like the last generation of Gary Fisher branded frames. Yes -- I recognize other things matter more, just like whether I weigh 57 kg or 58 kg matters a hell of a lot more than what grade carbon is used on my bike frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wkwt

by wkwt

Is the 690g SLR weight with or without vapor paint? I seem to remember reading that it was for a 56cm painted frame, but which paint, normal or vapor?

dunbar42

by dunbar42

djconnel wrote:If you're deciding between two bikes of the same cost, the dollar cost of aero is zero. That's what I'm talking about here: Madone or Emonda?

That "aero" Madone didn't test test very aero compared to "real" aero bikes. If I recall correctly it was about equal to a Felt F series in aero drag.

djconnel

by djconnel

"Weights are based off current mass production competitor 56cm painted frame or bike at time of publication. We weighed all bikes and frames on the same UWE HS-15k hanging scale and published either the competitor’s claimed weight or the competitor’s weighed weight, whichever was lightest."

Nice axis.

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:$3000 for an aero frame is if you throw away your old one. If you're deciding between two bikes of the same cost, the dollar cost of aero is zero. That's what I'm talking about here: Madone or Emonda? The Emonda simply looks slow -- like the last generation of Gary Fisher branded frames. Yes -- I recognize other things matter more, just like whether I weigh 57 kg or 58 kg matters a hell of a lot more than what grade carbon is used on my bike frame.

The Madone isn't all that aero and a rider's fit on the bike will determine more than anything. Just marketing hyperbole to a point. If the Madone was so aero you'd see Fabian on it a lot more, but you don't.

Bikes look as fast as their riders.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

Madone tests remarkably well.

For example:

Last edited by djconnel on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:The Madone isn't all that aero and a rider's fit on the bike will determine more than anything. Just marketing hyperbole to a point. If the Madone was so aero you'd see Fabian on it a lot more, but you don't.

I think you underestimate how much ride feel matters to a lot of pro-riders. Not many people would dispute the S5s aero credentials but last year Garmin's riders had almost completely abandoned it (in long stage races) in favour of the R5.

pje0713

by pje0713

totally agree with wingguy

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

True, when you spend so much time on it, if it rides like shit it doesn't really matter how aero it is. They ain't riding it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yup.......the S5 rides like shit......yup.......

Really?????

deek

by deek

djconnel wrote:"Weights are based off current mass production competitor 56cm painted frame or bike at time of publication. We weighed all bikes and frames on the same UWE HS-15k hanging scale and published either the competitor’s claimed weight or the competitor’s weighed weight, whichever was lightest."

Huh? Why wouldn't they publish the actual weight if they weighed it?

djconnel

by djconnel

That's a really good question. And there's only two competitor bikes in the chart -- they could have been more specific. One assumes they weighed their own bike.... :)
BTW, I just added another Tarmac wind drag reference (from Cervelo R5 white paper) to my previous post.
A friend has an S5 and likes it. However, the Garmin team seems to never use it, preferring the S3, so the S5 will become more like the S3 next year.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Garmin's an odd team, in that they buy much of their equipment, rather than accept it with strings attached, like all of the other ProTour teams. I wouldn't necessarily equate their equipment choices as preferences before considering other factors (equipment availability, etc.). Before the mass roll-out of DA9000 last year (of which, they were the last squad to get it), Garmin team members were frequently photographed using Ultegra 6700 parts, because the team couldn't find enough DA components on the market.

That being said, for the poster who commented about Fabian's choice to NOT use a Madone, I remind you that Fabian was brought in to develop the Domane, and he ONLY races a Domane (unless he's riding a TT, in which case, he rides his Speed Concept). Domane is his signature bike, and I doubt you'll catch him riding anything else (possibly for the rest of his career).

wingguy

by wingguy

Irrelevant. They may buy Shimano, but Cervelo is a full bike sponsor just like every other team has.

And frankly, equipment that comes without strings attached would make it more likely to be a result of rider preference, not less.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com