Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

So I went to pick up my Emonda SLR Frame today. Looks like the size doesn't quite make it. The seat tube or the seat mast aren't long enough. Going with the next size frame.

An observation; Was surprised at how much of a gap between the inner diameter of the seat mast and the outer diameter of the seat tube. I didn't measure it but I've never seen such a huge gap between two critical mating surfaces. I know when the mast is tightened it will probably not be an issue, but it certainly seems like there could be potential for creaking from the impact of pot holes and rough terrain in general.

If they can hold press fit tolerances on bb's why not apply a looser but adequate tolerance to the seat mast interface?

Anyone else notice this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chader09

by Chader09

Did you know that Trek has 2 different length seat mast caps? One is 135mm and the other is 175mm long.

The max and min seat heights are listed on the geometry page, but they don't tell you that is achieved by swapping the masts as needed.

The ranges are 100mm per frame. The frame mast has 60mm of adjustment and the other 40mm comes from the difference in the mast cap length.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

We were using a number of 175mm masts, all fitting differently because of the wide tolerance. I have emailed Trek and Bontrager a number of times for clarification with questions and never heard back.

Having second thoughts on this purchased.

spud

by spud

If the stack and reach are right, you can always get a custom seat post from MCFK and lose a bit of weight. Just depends on whether you feel you got a good enough deal on the frameset.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've got an Emonda SL frame I'm working on. The seatmast, while sliding easily, doesn't seem to have a huge amount of slop in it like you're describing. I'm kind used to Colnagos where the seatpost can be pretty tight, almost too tight. But if you can't get your saddle height to where it needs to be with the seatmast it came with, then I'd say you probably need the next larger frameset. Unless of course you run it with a huge amount of saddle to bar drop. Are you getting the H1 or H2 fit? Can you get the drop you need with the next size up frame?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

scott91

by scott91

Bridgeman, just curious what your usual BB (centre) to top of saddle length is? And what size did you order? What saddle were you using?

I've dealt with a lot of the seat masts and yeah, some are looser than others, but I've never seen a problem with any of them. Just us carbon paste and torque to spec.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

We took direct measurements from my other bike and found the seat mast resides 6 mm's above the limit line. Shop said it's a no go, and I agree.

I really wish Trek and Bontrager would respond to my short list of questions. I'm prepared to move on though.

scott91

by scott91

I agree, wouldn't run above the limit line. I'm just curious as to what your set up is. My 60 cm Emonda SLR 8 with a Serano Carbon saddle, at max height, is the exact 85 cm Trek lists on their geometry page. I can see how if you were using a lower profile saddle though it could be short 6 mm.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

No issues with Trek Madone or Domane seat posts creaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

1932692_10152293169091148_8329823318681640949_o.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

viratelle

by viratelle

Bike almost finished...Just need the longer mast as others...

http://imgur.com/t6g7ViY,BRtuesV#0

http://imgur.com/t6g7ViY,BRtuesV#1

PS: German magazines almost always find German products to be superior...Their methodology strangely produces the numbers that meet their end...Tour Magazin is a champion in that respect...

spartan

by spartan

actually, very impressed about this statistic..trek ranks higher than the cervelo rca/cannondale evo black... it's real competition. there is a huge difference in mass producing a frameset with a lifetime warranty vs a low production erratic customer service.

Trek Émonda SLR 10 (Roadbike issue 11-2014)
frame weight: 714 g
lateral stiffness in Nm/°: 66
BB stiffness n N/mm: 94
Comfort front in N/mm: 342
Comfort rear in N/mm: 214
Stiffness front wheel in Nm/°: 64
Stiffness rear wheel in Nm/°: 46
Stiffness-Weight-Comfort-Index: 900
Overall ranking Stiffness-Weight-Comfort-Index [KSG]: #2
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

What's the overall highest rated bike for tour?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

RCA

wojchiech

by wojchiech

just got my 54cm h1 frame this week, weighed 765g with der. hanger. 75g over claimed (and a size smaller too). a bit disappointed, but still built up beautifully. 12.8 lbs with my stans/bhs wheels. i'll try to make my own thread soon...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com