Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5guAiwBWqI

Guru Photon HL 4.6 kilos 2010

Chader09

by Chader09

Kupepe wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5guAiwBWqI

Guru Photon HL 4.6 kilos 2010

From the vid: "747g for 54cm frame"

Looking at just the frame, the Emonda (690g for 56cm) can still beat the Guru assuming equal builds.

I didn't bother to look up Guru's warranty or weight restrictions, but those could be worth comparing too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kenshinvt

by kenshinvt

mpulsiv wrote:On the SL 6 they use their normal seatpost, not the SLR version. The normal one i have on my own Domane, 148gr for the 175mm version.

Just to revive this, can anyone provide weights on the 135mm and 175mm 20mm offset seat caps for the SLR? The new version with the red anodized clamp.

Trek does not have weights listed yet but the part is available separately. This is of interest to Boone CX, Domane, and madone owners who might like to lighten up the existing post. It wouldn't be worth it though if the weight difference is negligible.

wkwt

by wkwt

They say the SLR seatmast with ears is 119g. So just a difference of 30g with the 175mm and likely less difference with the 135mm.

Other thing I've noticed is it seems less of a "ride tuned" (more vibration) ride with the longer 175mm mast as there's more overlap of the mast and seat tube, but just a guess.

kenshinvt

by kenshinvt

wkwt wrote:They say the SLR seatmast with ears is 119g. So just a difference of 30g with the 175mm and likely less difference with the 135mm.

Other thing I've noticed is it seems less of a "ride tuned" (more vibration) ride with the longer 175mm mast as there's more overlap of the mast and seat tube, but just a guess.

Thanks! is that confirmed the 175mm since the length isn't listed in that graphic? My assumption was that the shorter 135mm was the standard spec (at least it was with my boone, had to buy the longer).

wkwt

by wkwt

I think the weight listed is for the stock 135mm SLR mast. I meant that it is only 30g lighter than the standard 175mm non-SLR mast that you quoted in your last post. For me, not sure if it will be worth the $150-200 they will charge...

kenshinvt

by kenshinvt

wkwt wrote:I think the weight listed is for the stock 135mm SLR mast. I meant that it is only 30g lighter than the standard 175mm non-SLR mast that you quoted in your last post. For me, not sure if it will be worth the $150-200 they will charge...

The older non-SLR cap is ~118g for 135mm, ~148g for 175mm, actual weights. The official weights that Trek lists for them are 120g and 140g, respectively. The SLR version of each, which runs $50 MSRP higher, has no listed weights for either length.

If the above was the SLR 135mm, then it weighs the same as the old version.. which wouldn't make sense (why even have another part number?). If it is the 175mm length, then it is indeed 30g lighter, which isn't bad for the price difference. But it would also be unusual as Trek seems to most often spec a 135mm as stock (I'm guessing this one gives a more common adjustment range), so I would assume 135mm if (like in that chart) nothing is listed.

djconnel

by djconnel

I suppose the seatpost is non-transferrable, but otherwise the Madone would be only 30 grams heavier.

djconnel

by djconnel

Impressive build list but you could do just as well on your own a lot cheaper than the full build price for the top bike.

On the comparison with Madone: Peloton Magazine called it the liveliest Trek they've ridden, much livelier than the Madone. So take that for what it's worth...

headwind816

by headwind816

djconnel - which version did the magazine test? Did it define lively? I am eye balling a SL frameset.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

690g is the H1, i wonder what H2 weight is? Anyone?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:Impressive build list but you could do just as well on your own a lot cheaper than the full build price for the top bike.

On the comparison with Madone: Peloton Magazine called it the liveliest Trek they've ridden, much livelier than the Madone. So take that for what it's worth...

You're missing the key point of buying the build: the entire build is warrantied by Trek. You won't be calling and emailing some German dude if and when your shit breaks. Also, Trek wouldn't put out something risky so you're buying piece of mind as well.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wkwt

by wkwt

wheelsONfire wrote:690g is the H1, i wonder what H2 weight is? Anyone?

SLR frame H2 sz 52, 730g with internal cable sleeves, RD hanger, and handful of stickers on.

Fork is 290g

Can't imagine their claims of the 56 being on anything but the vapor paint.

headwind816

by headwind816

Wkwt - what shop is that? Any weights for the SL?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

On Treks website they list a 56cm SLR 9 at 6.1kg without pedals or bottle cages priced at AUD $12 999.00. This is with full Dura Ace and Bontrager Aeolus 3 clinchers. With pedals and cages you are looking at 6.35 - 6.4kg dependant on pedals.
In comparison my 2010 Parlee Z5 weighs in at 6.1 - 6.4kg ready to ride with SRAM Red and Enve post, stem and bars, Speedplay. Ti pedals, Arundel cages and Garmin sensor / mount.
Not much incentive there to swap over. Admittedly the Trek Emonda would be about 200g lighter with Tubulars and you could fit the one piece XXX integrated barstem found on the SLR 10 and save another 118g for a RRP of $599.
I will be test riding one in a week or two to compare how it rides and handles in comparison to my Parlee and Madone.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done