Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

No, not at all. I was, in fact, disagreeing with him :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1234SO

by 1234SO

wingguy wrote:No, not at all. I was, in fact, disagreeing with him :wink:

That is good to hear. I was a bit concerned when i realized this.

nickf

by nickf

I'm just going by feel. Grabbing the drops and twisting. They do wiggle around a good bit without that much force. I was surprised by how easily they flexed.Also not available. Have been showing zero in inventory for a few months now.

amb001 wrote:
nickf wrote:We got a slr 10 at the shop. Petty impressive rig. The only thing I'm not keen on is the flimsy integrated bar/stem combo.

I was hoping to use these bars on my new bike build but haven't found one to view yet or seen any proper reviews.

Your comments are making me think twice though. Would you say they'd be less flimsy with a sub 60kg rider or should I start thinking about other options.... I was hoping for a light bar/stem combo and these seem to fit with that.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

It's a shame the bontrager integrated bar-stem is little more than a technological showpiece. I'm using a XXX VR-C bar and Kalloy Uno stem with Ti bolts which is 70 g heavier but it isn't an issue for me as I'm not keen on making the world's lightest setup. On top of that it's stiff enough for me and costs less. Of course if money wasn't an issue, a custom Berk or similar integrated setup would get within the Bontrager piece weight-wise and probably be as stiff as an all Al setup.

KWalker

by KWalker

Guys, don't read into static shop flexing a ton. Enve bars flex a ton when you do that, so much that I sold mine without really riding them that much. Lots of people love the Enve bars and don't find them lacking stiffness in reality. Its going to be hard to get a bar that is as stiff as a stout AL bar that is still really light.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nickf

by nickf

Yes what KWalker said. I have no real riding time on that bike/bar. The standard XXX road bar is a really nice stiff bar. Same story with the XXX stem. But with a weight penalty.

pjg61

by pjg61

DerekV wrote:SLR 10 seat cap ($170 MSRP, 20mm setback)
135mm length - claimed 71g - part #W440937
175mm length - claimed 91g - part #W440938

SLR 10 lightweight head/ear kit ($30 MSRP)
For 7x9mm oversize rails - claimed 48g - $30 MSRP - part #W440961
This is the part that is on backorder for another month or so. I would assume that a normal head/ear kit (6g heavier) will be fine in the SLR cap if you already have one on your bike, but I can't be sure.

1) Where do you find the weights of some of the Trek/Bontrager products when they aren't on the web site ?

2) Any idea what the weight is of the Bontrager XXX (175mm 20mm setback) ?

Thanks

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'll find out in a couple of weeks when mine arrive. I ordered them yesterday.

djconnel

by djconnel

1234SO wrote:Got my ermonda slr. Very nice indeed but you can press the upper wall of the top tube in. It returns to normal of course but i am a bit concerned as it needs to be treated like an egg. I consider to buy a 3t bar and stem for it. Any thoughts on this?

Don't do that :). If you want bombproof get a steel bike.

The Kuota KOM comes to mind in addition to the early Cervelos.

1234SO

by 1234SO

djconnel wrote:
1234SO wrote:Got my ermonda slr. Very nice indeed but you can press the upper wall of the top tube in. It returns to normal of course but i am a bit concerned as it needs to be treated like an egg. I consider to buy a 3t bar and stem for it. Any thoughts on this?

Don't do that :). If you want bombproof get a steel bike.

The Kuota KOM comes to mind in addition to the early Cervelos.

I Travel a lot with my bikes and this Frame is different to the ones i have owned. It needs more attention/Protection. This is what i meant. However it is awesome, a Real Beast on the climbs and stiff enough on the descents. Totally Great.

I consider buying alloy clinchers but would like to have Black rims. Choice is somewhat constrained. Any recommendations - Mavic, Fulcrum, other?

mpower

by mpower

Weigh a size 52cm Emonda SLR10 the other day: 4.84 kgs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No pedals, no bottle cages... I think it at least needs those to make it a "rideable" weight.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Hard to ride it without pedals and cages............[emoji6]

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Even still, I'm over the weight limit on some of those components, so basically it's an unridable bike for me in any case. Don't those wheels have something like a 180lb rider weight limit? I think the complete Trek SLR super lightweight bike is more of an exercise by Trek so they can lay claim to the "World's Lightest PRODUCTION Road Bike". Which is fine, and I suppose they've succeeded, but I wouldn't ride that thing at 50mph down some windy descent, let alone one with turns in it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, Trek's not banking their future on selling hundreds of weightweenie editions of the SLR. I think it's a marketing scheme, and if they sell some bikes at the same time, GREAT!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com