Used Cervelo S3 vs New Cervelo S3 - 4200 budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marloon

by Marloon

Here's my debate. Which bike would you go for. I am looking for a bike that i can use train w/ friends. I will be using it on 5% grade climbs that I can find locally.

Option 1: USED 2011 Cervelo S3

Specs:
Full SRAM Red group
T Ergonova LTD full carbon bars
upgraded 3T ARX-LTD carbon stem
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddle with carbon rails
BBB full carbon bottle cages
Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset

Appearance it is Like new condition with approximately 750km. How much would you pay for this bike?

With Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers How much would you pay for this bike + Zipp 404?

Option 2: Cervelo S3 2014 Model w/ Ultegra 11 speed - 4000 CAD.

Which option would you go with?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

I would go with the new bike, mainly because I wouldn't want an expensive carbon bike without a warranty.

Plus I hear the 11 speed Ultegra group is good stuff.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

If the new Cervelo S3 isn't going to get you the bells and whistles you want with regards to wheels, etc. I'd get a new Cervelo S2 and get some nicer components

nismosr

by nismosr

Get the new S3 ..
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

em3

by em3

no question...the new S3 is the way to go! Mostly because you simply want to avoid buying a used carbon bike w/out the lifetime warranty that Cervelo offers. Also, because the new S3 is a COMPLETELY redesigned bike, compared to the previous model. You should also consider the new R3 (less expensive and lighter), especially since it appears you will be using the bike for climbing, where any modest aero advantages that the S3 might yield will be nonexistent on climbs. Not to mention the R3 will be a more comfortable ride.

EM3

istigatrice

by istigatrice

em3 wrote: it appears you will be using the bike for climbing, where any modest aero advantages that the S3 might yield will be nonexistent on climbs.

I'm pretty sure aero is still going to matter on a climb, the slower you go the more time you'll save...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Oswald

by Oswald

I used to work at a shop that stopped selling Cervelo because of all the problems with the frames. Cervelo would always honor the warrenty, but it did often take a long time and was always a hassle for the customer.
I would never buy one without warranty.

djm

by djm

I warrantied my S2 and S3, and when the S3 was replaced with an S5 which I sold, I had to help out the new owner also with a frame warranty. Add to that I have a P2 which I bought in the States, but which I definitely would've warrantied if the dealer was closer (as with S2 and S3, frame is too big for the seat post).. however I "fixed" the P2 myself with epoxy..

My experience of Cervélo isn't very good and I would never buy a bike from them again. Fair enough they have a warranty, but so do other bike brands too and they usually don't have to be warrantied that often..

Add to that both S2 and S3 were completely outperformed by my Canyons.. even the alu is very much nicer. I think there are much better built bikes out there than Cervélo.

nismosr

by nismosr

em3 wrote:especially since it appears you will be using the bike for climbing, where any modest aero advantages that the S3 might yield will be nonexistent on climbs. Not to mention the R3 will be a more comfortable ride.

EM3

Kind a disagree with this comment, I have a 2012 R5 VWD and 2013 S5, at least for my experience between the two, I prefer the S5 all day long. and when it comes to climbing the S5 is handsdown on par with my R5, I actually prefer it sometimes although I'm not a good climber because of my weight at 195lb. biggest climb I did on the S5 is a 52mile with 6800ft with the S5 rolling on zipp 808 and 404 front. and I've read the new S3 is stiffer of about 5% than the S5. so I'm pretty sure that new S3 will do fine on any climbs plus it's lighter than the S5.

em3

by em3

...there is a reason Garmin team riders use the R5 in the hill/mountain stages and the S3/S5 in the flat stages (and it has nothing to do with what the sponsor is tellin them to ride, given that any model is in their quiver). EM3

velosexual

by velosexual

The new S3 has a taller head tube than the old S3. This may or may not be good for you depending on your fit requirements.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

em3 wrote:it has nothing to do with what the sponsor is tellin them to ride, given that any model is in their quiver

I disagree, Cervelo would have a huge say in the bikes they want them to use. Yes, all models are "avaliable" to them, but cervelo would want to take full advantage of the advertising and "request" that the riders ride R series frames.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

nismosr

by nismosr

OP - get the new S3 - I've seen pictures of Garmin team using the new S3 on Hill stages of Tour of Suisse. If my S5 is stiff enough to climb a few short 20%+ and 200lb rider like me I'm pretty sure 5% is a piece of cake for the new S3.

em3

by em3

istigatrice wrote:
em3 wrote:it has nothing to do with what the sponsor is tellin them to ride, given that any model is in their quiver

I disagree, Cervelo would have a huge say in the bikes they want them to use. Yes, all models are "avaliable" to them, but cervelo would want to take full advantage of the advertising and "request" that the riders ride R series frames.

....yes, it is well known that riders on most pro teams are told what to ride (nothing new), often based on whatever new gadget their sponsor is trying to market. However, I have read in more then one interview that things are a bit different with Garmin. Perhaps what I have read is just more marketing drivel, but given the consistent patterns of which rider chooses which bike based on type of stage, is evidence that there are some degrees of freedom on the Garmin team (e.g. the S3 is Cervelo's newest frame which presumably is at the top of marketing priorities, but you won't find Telansky riding any of the Tour's mountain stages on the new S3 or an S5).

Here is a good example of some of the stories out there:

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/a ... chell.html

"We often hear those exact questions. It is important to point out that Cervélo is unique in that we don’t tell our pro riders which bike they have to ride. We let them choose. Whether it is a David Millar choosing the S5, a Dan Martin on the R5, or a Jack Bauer opting for different bikes on different days, there are only great options in the Garmin-Sharp truck"

Now, back to my response to the OP (which appears to have been misunderstood)....I was mealy suggesting that the R3 is less expensive, lighter and more comfortable then the S3. These are facts that even Cervelo engineers don't dispute, not to mention they promote in their marketing materials ( e.g. note how they describe the newly designed pencil thin seatstays on the S3 as near equivalent to the stays on the R-series frames...aiming to reach the comfort level of an R-series frame in a large aero tube bike). There is no question that all are great bikes, but given the OP's budget and the riding that he intends to engage, I was suggesting that the R3 might be the best bet. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

id get the new s3