HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:59 am
Posts: 6
Here's my debate. Which bike would you go for. I am looking for a bike that i can use train w/ friends. I will be using it on 5% grade climbs that I can find locally.

Option 1: USED 2011 Cervelo S3
Image

Specs:
Full SRAM Red group
T Ergonova LTD full carbon bars
upgraded 3T ARX-LTD carbon stem
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddle with carbon rails
BBB full carbon bottle cages
Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset

Appearance it is Like new condition with approximately 750km. How much would you pay for this bike?

With Zipp 404 Firecrest clinchers How much would you pay for this bike + Zipp 404?

Option 2: Cervelo S3 2014 Model w/ Ultegra 11 speed - 4000 CAD.

Which option would you go with?


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:31 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Posts: 1743
Location: Atlanta, GA, US
I would go with the new bike, mainly because I wouldn't want an expensive carbon bike without a warranty.

Plus I hear the 11 speed Ultegra group is good stuff.

_________________
My Bikes

My Photoblog


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am
Posts: 1198
Location: by Crystal Springs (Sawyer Creek Trail)
If the new Cervelo S3 isn't going to get you the bells and whistles you want with regards to wheels, etc. I'd get a new Cervelo S2 and get some nicer components


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 5:15 pm
Posts: 474
Get the new S3 ..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 665
Location: NYC
no question...the new S3 is the way to go! Mostly because you simply want to avoid buying a used carbon bike w/out the lifetime warranty that Cervelo offers. Also, because the new S3 is a COMPLETELY redesigned bike, compared to the previous model. You should also consider the new R3 (less expensive and lighter), especially since it appears you will be using the bike for climbing, where any modest aero advantages that the S3 might yield will be nonexistent on climbs. Not to mention the R3 will be a more comfortable ride.

EM3

_________________
______________

My 2013 Cervelo R5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 383
Location: Adelaide, Australia
em3 wrote:
it appears you will be using the bike for climbing, where any modest aero advantages that the S3 might yield will be nonexistent on climbs.


I'm pretty sure aero is still going to matter on a climb, the slower you go the more time you'll save...

_________________
My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Giant Defy Advanced


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:11 pm
Posts: 710
I used to work at a shop that stopped selling Cervelo because of all the problems with the frames. Cervelo would always honor the warrenty, but it did often take a long time and was always a hassle for the customer.
I would never buy one without warranty.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 12:19 pm
Posts: 1019
Location: Norway
I warrantied my S2 and S3, and when the S3 was replaced with an S5 which I sold, I had to help out the new owner also with a frame warranty. Add to that I have a P2 which I bought in the States, but which I definitely would've warrantied if the dealer was closer (as with S2 and S3, frame is too big for the seat post).. however I "fixed" the P2 myself with epoxy..

My experience of Cervélo isn't very good and I would never buy a bike from them again. Fair enough they have a warranty, but so do other bike brands too and they usually don't have to be warrantied that often..

Add to that both S2 and S3 were completely outperformed by my Canyons.. even the alu is very much nicer. I think there are much better built bikes out there than Cervélo.

_________________
[url=http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=96841]Canyon Aeroad CF 9.0 ETE - for sale!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 5:15 pm
Posts: 474
em3 wrote:
especially since it appears you will be using the bike for climbing, where any modest aero advantages that the S3 might yield will be nonexistent on climbs. Not to mention the R3 will be a more comfortable ride.

EM3


Kind a disagree with this comment, I have a 2012 R5 VWD and 2013 S5, at least for my experience between the two, I prefer the S5 all day long. and when it comes to climbing the S5 is handsdown on par with my R5, I actually prefer it sometimes although I'm not a good climber because of my weight at 195lb. biggest climb I did on the S5 is a 52mile with 6800ft with the S5 rolling on zipp 808 and 404 front. and I've read the new S3 is stiffer of about 5% than the S5. so I'm pretty sure that new S3 will do fine on any climbs plus it's lighter than the S5.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 665
Location: NYC
...there is a reason Garmin team riders use the R5 in the hill/mountain stages and the S3/S5 in the flat stages (and it has nothing to do with what the sponsor is tellin them to ride, given that any model is in their quiver). EM3

_________________
______________

My 2013 Cervelo R5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 3
The new S3 has a taller head tube than the old S3. This may or may not be good for you depending on your fit requirements.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 383
Location: Adelaide, Australia
em3 wrote:
it has nothing to do with what the sponsor is tellin them to ride, given that any model is in their quiver


I disagree, Cervelo would have a huge say in the bikes they want them to use. Yes, all models are "avaliable" to them, but cervelo would want to take full advantage of the advertising and "request" that the riders ride R series frames.

_________________
My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Giant Defy Advanced


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 5:15 pm
Posts: 474
OP - get the new S3 - I've seen pictures of Garmin team using the new S3 on Hill stages of Tour of Suisse. If my S5 is stiff enough to climb a few short 20%+ and 200lb rider like me I'm pretty sure 5% is a piece of cake for the new S3.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:57 pm
Posts: 665
Location: NYC
istigatrice wrote:
em3 wrote:
it has nothing to do with what the sponsor is tellin them to ride, given that any model is in their quiver


I disagree, Cervelo would have a huge say in the bikes they want them to use. Yes, all models are "avaliable" to them, but cervelo would want to take full advantage of the advertising and "request" that the riders ride R series frames.



....yes, it is well known that riders on most pro teams are told what to ride (nothing new), often based on whatever new gadget their sponsor is trying to market. However, I have read in more then one interview that things are a bit different with Garmin. Perhaps what I have read is just more marketing drivel, but given the consistent patterns of which rider chooses which bike based on type of stage, is evidence that there are some degrees of freedom on the Garmin team (e.g. the S3 is Cervelo's newest frame which presumably is at the top of marketing priorities, but you won't find Telansky riding any of the Tour's mountain stages on the new S3 or an S5).

Here is a good example of some of the stories out there:

http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/a ... chell.html

"We often hear those exact questions. It is important to point out that Cervélo is unique in that we don’t tell our pro riders which bike they have to ride. We let them choose. Whether it is a David Millar choosing the S5, a Dan Martin on the R5, or a Jack Bauer opting for different bikes on different days, there are only great options in the Garmin-Sharp truck"


Now, back to my response to the OP (which appears to have been misunderstood)....I was mealy suggesting that the R3 is less expensive, lighter and more comfortable then the S3. These are facts that even Cervelo engineers don't dispute, not to mention they promote in their marketing materials ( e.g. note how they describe the newly designed pencil thin seatstays on the S3 as near equivalent to the stays on the R-series frames...aiming to reach the comfort level of an R-series frame in a large aero tube bike). There is no question that all are great bikes, but given the OP's budget and the riding that he intends to engage, I was suggesting that the R3 might be the best bet. EM3

_________________
______________

My 2013 Cervelo R5


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:00 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:58 am
Posts: 232
id get the new s3


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Cervelo R and Cervelo S series??

in Road

bigben99

3

1478

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:09 pm

RichieE46 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2014 Cervélo R3 or S3

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Road

hlegs

35

19841

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:44 pm

SkippyMcJimmelstein View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Wheels for Cervelo S5

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

FHKJ

17

2063

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:06 pm

fogflip View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) EE Brakes on Cervelo S5?

in Road

freemyheel

2

318

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:07 am

newforker View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. CERVELO R5 2014 weights

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Naturel

19

4057

Tue May 06, 2014 4:20 pm

nismosr View the latest post


It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB