Campagnolo bottom bracket cups gap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

isharamet wrote:mattr, no visible damage yet.

Of course not, the damage will be on the seats in the frame. The bottom bracket needs to come out to check.
Tbh, with something like that, I'd have had it straight back to the shop. You've got to wonder what else they've pushed in cock eyed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Antoine

by Antoine

I had the same problem on my Supersix Evo
After only 200 kms I had heavy clicking and one cup went loose (but not as much).

So I took everything off and swapped the groups with my Ti bike (with no PF30 ).
The Praxis adaptator was not available at this time.
On the loose side I could press the adaptator in by hand, so no wonder it came loose.

Went with that for Shimano : http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-br ... ckets.html

So I would first recommend to take it appart to check what is wrong (fitting of the adaptator or diameter of the frame's bb).
Attachments
P1010115 - Copie.JPG
P1010117 - Copie.JPG

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Buying a new buy may come with a warranty. They should take care of your problem. My guess they are not going to resolve it quickly since there is going to be a lot of trial and error to see what fits on your bike.

Search the forum and the net. You will find there are many people just like you with problems of the cups coming out. Praxis, C Bear, Parlee are just a few company's that make different style adapters that solve the problem. Again, other company's have solved the problem with locktite and epoxy. The fact is that it is a poor concept.

I have yet to have a problem on my PF30 bike with Campy crank. I studied this issue before the build and found that the Parlee was the lightest way that would work for me. Praxis was up there too with my decision, but they were not making it at the time and their timeline was a lot like the Garmin Vector.

Either way, there are many with the same issue as you and with a little searching, you will find the answer for your problem with a lot less hassle. It might be costing you more money, but at least with a lot less headaches.

One more thing, the mechanic may be an idiot, but he did not design it. He just put it together. Even if he did it correctly, it could still come out. Be nice to him until he has proven he's an idiot.

isharamet

by isharamet

Butcher, since shop is 1000 km away it is not an option. It's just easier to do it by myself.

Just removed my cups. This is how shell look like (slight marks from cups on both side):

Guys, need your advice on cleaner. Is it safe to use Loctite 7063 to clean BB shell (raw carbon, no painting/coating)? Thanks

LionelB

by LionelB

Are you still trying to make the campy cups work ? They won't.

isharamet

by isharamet

I think I have no options here since I live in Belarus, and Praxis don't ship its BB here. Same story with Parlee.

em3

by em3

isharamet wrote:Butcher, since shop is 1000 km away it is not an option. It's just easier to do it by myself.

Just removed my cups. This is how shell look like (slight marks from cups on both side):

Guys, need your advice on cleaner. Is it safe to use Loctite 7063 to clean BB shell (raw carbon, no painting/coating)? Thanks

The marks are simply a result of cups having been installed. Only very accurate calipers will tell whether the tolerances are out of spec. The good thing is that there is no deep gauging and the surface is clean and smooth.

I would recommend a non-solvent based degreaser (Loctite 7063 is solvent-based). BB looks quite clean already....you just want to get any grease residue out.

Because your BB shell has no cut outs it is ideal or the Loctite method (some shells with cut outs may not have sufficient surface area to contact length of BB cups). Remember, apply liberally, press in cups, and let them cure for about 24 hours with press installed. Good luck

EM3

isharamet

by isharamet

em3, thanks. Just installed cups with Loctite 641 and 7649 pirmer leaving the press in. Hope for the best)

isharamet

by isharamet

Just did a 66 km ride and here the results:
Small gap on drive side (0.5 mm or less) and non-drive side is ok (I think).

So what do you recommend go for Praxis Conv BB? And should I ride my bicycle in such state?

LionelB

by LionelB

As I said 2 or 3 times already these cups won't work. Period. Praxis maybe a solution.

isharamet

by isharamet

LionelB wrote:As I said 2 or 3 times already these cups won't work. Period. Praxis maybe a solution.

Thanks. I'll go for Praxis. But since this is my only bike now, is it ok to ride it in such state, or better wait until I get Praxis BB.

em3

by em3

bummer....you have three options:
1. Try a higher strength Loctite designed to fill larger gaps and with higher yield strength (e.g. 609 or 680)....641 did not work for me the first time on my BBRight press fit with Campy cups and I and to move up to 609, which has worked well.
2. Praxis
3. Get a warranty frame and engage Loctite method on fresh far before any cups are installed

Good luck.
EM3

isharamet

by isharamet

With help of good guy Mark (aka Butcher) I solved all my problems with PraxisWorks Conv BB. It's the ultimate solution for press fit bottom brackets and Campy UT cranks. Did about 1500 km since installation without any problems.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Glad you got this sorted and pleased to see that the WW community helped you out!

For what it's worth I've put over 5k miles on the Campag PF30 cups with no issues whatsoever, I really think it comes down to the precision of the initial install and tolerance of the frame.

Enjoy the ride!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm glad to see that you now get to ride your bike without anymore noises.

By the way, I would not have trusted that guy, he's a Butcher. But his wife is a real sweetie and made it all happen.