And finally , BORA get fat?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Super Guanche

by Super Guanche

Are the fat rims likely to be an issue if you get a wheel change during a race and find yourself riding on a narrower rim. Will it make that much of a difference for braking?

fogman

by fogman

@Calnago. Did you ever try the 23mm Veloflex Carbons yet? I thought you mentioned that you were going to experiment with those.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bdb

by bdb

Hmm - Jedi has the 35 clinchers in stock, but want Eur 250 to ship to the US
Starbike and Bike-discount don't have them in stock bu their shipping is 10/20 Dollars.

Both prices are still a lot lot less than US MSRP, but the thought of spending an extra 230 on shipping
to get them sooner doesn't sit too well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

fogman wrote:@Calnago. Did you ever try the 23mm Veloflex Carbons yet? I thought you mentioned that you were going to experiment with those.

Well, I've been using both the Ultra 35 tubulars and Ultra 50 tubulars and really can't say enough good things about them. I did not, in the end, test the Veloflex Carbons (23mm) on them. Originally I wanted to try them to see if they felt any faster than the 25's. But I was just so happy with the combination of the the Ultra 35 and 25mm Veloflex Arenberg that I didn't even bother trying the 23, even though I had them waiting.
I really do like the wider rim combined with the 25mm tire. I think the added width does contribute to some of the increased stability over the previous version. And having no spoke holes in the rim makes them a breeze to glue up. Also, the added width plus the center channel in the center for the tubular seam may have given me the extra 1.5mm of clearance that I was so wanting for my C59. It's perfect now. No chatter from road debris getting thrown between the fork and tire.
What I mention above re added clearance only applies to the tubular version however. I have no idea how the clincher version will be but I'd imagine a 25mm clincher will sit higher than a 25mm tubular.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

boysa

by boysa

Any chance of a quick comparison between the two rims? Handling, ride quality, maintaining speed, etc? Thanks!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

mrgray

by mrgray

@super guanche - i think it would be an issue yes. i had to get the tools out and adjust brake width to near max to accomodate the 24.2 mm rim on camapg SR brakes (possible year 2012 or 13).
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

fogman

by fogman

dha wrote:So my Bora One 50 tubulars have arrived!

A quick weigh before I start the gluing process

So 20g under the posted weight on the campag website

My Bora One tubulars arrived last week and were 16 g under the published weight.
Front = 544 g.
Rear = 705 g.
Total = 1249 g.
Published = 1265 g.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Calnago wrote:
fogman wrote:@Calnago. Did you ever try the 23mm Veloflex Carbons yet? I thought you mentioned that you were going to experiment with those.

Well, I've been using both the Ultra 35 tubulars and Ultra 50 tubulars and really can't say enough good things about them. I did not, in the end, test the Veloflex Carbons (23mm) on them. Originally I wanted to try them to see if they felt any faster than the 25's. But I was just so happy with the combination of the the Ultra 35 and 25mm Veloflex Arenberg that I didn't even bother trying the 23, even though I had them waiting.
I really do like the wider rim combined with the 25mm tire. I think the added width does contribute to some of the increased stability over the previous version. And having no spoke holes in the rim makes them a breeze to glue up. Also, the added width plus the center channel in the center for the tubular seam may have given me the extra 1.5mm of clearance that I was so wanting for my C59. It's perfect now. No chatter from road debris getting thrown between the fork and tire.
What I mention above re added clearance only applies to the tubular version however. I have no idea how the clincher version will be but I'd imagine a 25mm clincher will sit higher than a 25mm tubular.

Do you have some calipers to measure the actual tire width of the Arenbergs ?

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Calnago wrote:Yes, the first iteration of the 35's did not have the rim holes but they did not have the seam well down the middle either, if I remember right. But now that they've widened the rim a bit, I think these wheels will be a new benchmark for a long time.
If they widened them much more than this then tire manufacturers would have to also start widening the base tape of their tires for gluing (which may very well happen). Not sure where it stops really, but I am very pleased with the chosen 24.2mm width of the new Boras.
Interestingly, manufacturers of brakes are quite quiet about the obvious elephant in the room, which is that most of the current generation of caliper brakes are really optimized around rims in the 20-21mm width range. They generally work ok on wider rims but on some of the really wide rims you can already run into problems. Shimano, with their most recent models have at least designed around the possibility of wider bigger tires and have excellent clearance. But Campy's current skeleton brakes, when opened up to accommodate a wider rim, can sometimes hit the top of a 25mm tire with the arms, because as the brakes open up, the arms drop down a bit. I expect a redesign soon.
And you can bet that once the next iteration of calipers start appearing in force there will all of a sudden be a lot of marketing speak to the effect of "new and improved! Designed and optimized specifically for today's wider rims choices! Get yours now!" But until they've got new stuff to sell... silence. Unless pressed then you'll get a little mumble "our brakes work fine with wider rims". And quite frankly they do, but as soon as the new improved versions come out which are "optimized" for wide rims well then, not so much. It's quite humorous actually

^^this

thp

by thp

Would love to know if anyone with a C59 has run the new clinchers with a 25mm Vittoria and noted the clearance.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Received my Bora Ultra 50 tubulars this week, put 25mm Vittoria Corsa SC's on them and I'm in love. The ride is sublime, i'm one very happy camper!

fogman

by fogman

mrlobber wrote:1) wider => check
2) better braking => check
3) LIGHTER => check check check (at least claimed

Are they also stiffer, especially the clincher version?

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Bora One 50 tubular dark
F 535g
R 695g
T 1230g

F quick release 56g
R quick release 62g
T 118g

eurperg

by eurperg

Bora Ultra 35 tubular dark

F 506g
R 679g
T 1185g

F quick release 57g
R quick release 64g
T 121g

tomevental

by tomevental

Shinybikes show them in stock and I'm tempted. Any opinion on this seller/store?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com