And finally , BORA get fat?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phollingswo

by phollingswo

@Fogman - replied elsewhere too - but just measured the 25mm Arenbergs on the new wide campy bora rim, and it comes up at bang on 25mm for me.

fogman

by fogman

@phollingswo. Thanks. Do you have any friends/teammates that have a Dogma 65.1 that you can put that wheel/tire combo on to check frame clearance for me? And if you do, take some pictures.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

@Fogman unfortunately not. But I'll ask around for you. I reckon you'd be okay though. They don't look particularly bulky. There's no bulge, it sits very cleanly on the rim because of that middle channel.

Oh and FYI I had originally got a set of 2014 ones, but there was some damage so sent them back. And my initial impression is that the build quality of the 2015 is superior. It just looks and feels like a better wheelset. And I'm sure it rides better too (not had chance to try them yet). So if it was me, 2015 all the way.

fogman

by fogman

Yes. I definitely want the 2015 if they fit. Do not want to go through the trouble of ordering the 24.2mm wide Bora Ones and Arenberg tubulars to find that they rub the frame.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

@Fogman where are you based?

fogman

by fogman

@phollingswo. I sent you a PM.

dj97223

by dj97223

phollingswo wrote:@Fogman unfortunately not. But I'll ask around for you. I reckon you'd be okay though. They don't look particularly bulky. There's no bulge, it sits very cleanly on the rim because of that middle channel.

Oh and FYI I had originally got a set of 2014 ones, but there was some damage so sent them back. And my initial impression is that the build quality of the 2015 is superior. It just looks and feels like a better wheelset. And I'm sure it rides better too (not had chance to try them yet). So if it was me, 2015 all the way.

It is hard to imagine that the build and quality is better than my 2013/14 Bora 35, but I haven't seen the new model. Also, I suppose a few millimeters in width can make an aero or ride difference, but it must be a very slight difference.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

mrgray

by mrgray

hi all,
had a great ride on the bora's today. no rain thankfully so no report on braking in wet but i can say
- i was coasting past almost everything on the down hill's and i am not aero - far from it - the bora one's roll like crazy
- braking down some very good hills (hitting 65 km/h plus) was very good. nice and constant. not incredible compared to alu rims, but very good.
- wheels were very fast on flats too

overall it was great and the 21 mm tyres went great. i am looking forward to putting the wider tyres on however as if comfort improves then i am really onto something because it is already pretty good.

i'm no expert and i haven't owned carbon wheels at all before but for $1,650 AUD, these bora one's seem like the deal of the decade to me. plenty of bumps today and running true and felt fast and light.

i might just add that the deeper section in the centre of the rim made getting a good alignment a snap. i had zero hop on my tyres today and this is the second set i've glued.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi
@Em3 I'm not clear in regards to your comment re: 21 mm and "aging" tubulars.

Do you think it makes a difference to age a tyre or not? I've read that it does in from some old timers who claim it helps prevent punctures. But I do not know that it does (if such a thing, given the vagaries of luck, is knowable).

I hear you re: skinny tyres on wider rims and higher pressure though. I presume what you mean is that I'll be more comfortable on wider ones at lower pressure?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

also should mention that i smacked the rim pretty hard following my weekend ride. i was riding over some grass and then onto concrete (driveway) at say a 45 degree angle.

a real hard nasty sound.

rim has a mark on it but no damage as far as i can tell.

tyre was at ~ 120 psi.

so i'll go ahead and stick 25 mm tyres on these pretty soon i think.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

dha

by dha

So my Bora One 50 tubulars have arrived!

A quick weigh before I start the gluing process

Rear wheel

Front wheel

So 20g under the posted weight on the campag website

Rear skewer

Front skewer

kgt

by kgt

@ mrgray
21mm at 120psi... Why doing that to yourself?...

mrgray

by mrgray

@kgt. just ignorant. i had lower pressure on weekend due to a flat etc and ride felt like silk. at 90kg could i aim for say 90 psi with 25mm do you think?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes. Much better plan. I run 25mm Veloflex Arrenbergs and I'm close to your weight. I was out all day yesterday. Started out with 95psi front, 105psi rear. Was gone all day. Checked the pressure again when I got home in the evening... 85psi front, 94psi rear (latex tubes do lose air). Ride was sublime the whole time. Depending on what I'm doing I think I'll settle on between 90-95psi front and 100-105 in the rear. Glad your ditching the 21's on these rims.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com