And finally , BORA get fat?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

Hi,
I stuck 22 mm tyres on the new 24.2 mm wide bora ones tubulars. seems fine. one thing was it was so easy to align the tyre right with the deep crease in the wheel. certainly the tyre doesn't stick out alot above rim height. i've only ridden them on trainers thus far however so nothing to report on how it all works in the real world. only ~ 8 mm clearance on fork however and had to adjust brakes for extra width of course.

an impression from the rollers was that the wheels are very fast. on trainers i presume that is down to the hubs.

my weight
FW - 486 (no skewer)
RW - 701 (again no skewer)
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Will be interested to hear how it goes with 22mm tires on those rims. I put some 23mm Veloflex Carbons on the rim unglued just to see how they fit. Seemed like they'd be just fine but certainly are narrower than the rim itself. What do you mean by only 8mm clearance with the fork? I would kill for 8mm of clearance between the tire and the fork crown.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

clarification it is a 21 mm tyre. yes i have seen the lack of space you've indicated previously with 25 mm tyres i think. 8 mm is good!

the width seems OK. just inside the rim width i'd say.

how might this be a problem do you think? i do have some 25 mm paves but i really wanted to use these older 21 mm tyres as i am hoping i'll have less chance of flatting. the paves are brand new and i was rather hoping to let them age a bit as indications are resilience to puncture might improve (based on what i've read only).
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

sorry further clarification re: weight. together wheels were

FW 486
RW 700
TOT 1186 (no skewers)

skewers are 56 g each

TOT with skewers is 1.298 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

eurperg

by eurperg

Just ordered 35 Dark Label Ultra tubulars for my upcoming custom Ti bike, can't wait! ;)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@mrgray: the 21mm tubular on the new Bora rim "might" be an issue for a couple of reasons.
1) the smaller radius of a super narrow tubular mounted on a rim bed with a larger radius might result in the tire pulling away from the rim at the edges of the tire, exactly the place you want the bond to be strongest. This is the opposite issue of putting a fat tubular on a narrow rim, but at least in that case the edges of the rim would be pressing hard against the tire and the weak spot would be in the center (less critical). Plus, to compensate you can always build the center up a bit as some do for wider cyclocross tires on rims where the match is not ideal.
2) the other thing I'd be concerned about (as a heavier rider) is that I'd probably have to have a 21mm tire pumped to a very high pressure to avoid damaging the rim. And at such a high pressure the ride would be unduly harsh and handling severely compromised, in effect more than wiping out the entire reasoning behind getting the new wheels in the first place.
For those reasons and from seeing how a 23mm tire fits on the rim I don't think I would go smaller than 23mm on the new rims.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

phollingswo

by phollingswo

@Calnago

My new Bora One 50 (2015) tubulars arrived today! Will take some pictures with some Veloflex Arenbergs dry mounted later and upload. Can't wait to try them out. They look ridiculously fast.

em3

by em3

@phollingswo, please post weights too :)

I am curious if the Bora One 50 is under the factory reported weight, just like the Bora One 35 that myself and others have reported on.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Will do!

I'm amazed I've managed to get a set actually. Only ordered two days ago. Given the problems others have had sourcing...I feel very lucky.

Unfortunately, still waiting on my canyon frame so will be another month or so before I get to actually ride them.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Just checking before pulling the trigger than it's ok to run 23mm tubs on the new Bora 50's?

phollingswo

by phollingswo

And the results are in!

Campagnolo Bora One 50 (2015) Tubular weight as delivered

Front: 552
Rear: 706
Total: 1258 (Campagnolo listed: 1265g)

So a tad under the advertised weight - nice!

Here's a shot of the rim, you can see that central channel. Makes it really easy to align tire straight away.

Dry mounted some 25mm Veloflex Arenbergs. As you can see, they transition nicely from the new wider-profile rim.

Weight with tires on: 1826g

And here's a shot to show you the new "water transfer" decals

eurperg

by eurperg

Wait, what?! No spoke holes in the rim bed? :O

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Nope! They got rid of them in the 2015 model year.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

How does one go around replacing nipples and spokes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phollingswo

by phollingswo

I'm not an expert...but the nipples are external, so thinking you just unscrew them and then thread the spoke out.