And finally , BORA get fat?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

em3

by em3

aguycalledsimon wrote: Wheels: claimed actual
Campagnolo Bora 35 Ultra Two - Rear 690 679
Campagnolo Bora 35 Ultra Two - Front 480 506

...thanks for sharing this valuable info. So....based on your real weights of the Bora Ultra 35 it appears that the weight differential between the Ultra 35 and Ultra 50 (comparing front and rear weights) is more consistent (approx 14-16 gms).

Bora Ultra 35: F 480 (506) R 690 (679) 1160
Bora Ultra 50: F 520 R 695

I pulled the trigger on a set of Bora One 35 Dark Label tubulars today....hopefully I can post full ride report (and actual weights) in about one week. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aguycalledsimon

by aguycalledsimon

Differences between bora 35 and shamal?

I guess the relatively small differences reflect that the shamal are a really great wheel - I suspect a lot of the differences are also to be attributes to tubs vs clinchers - the tubs are much better at soaking up the lousy roads in Yorkshire, and after 30 or so years away from them I realise how much I miss them

summary:
bora look better
bora are lighter
bora sound great
shamals are cheaper

so if you can afford bora I would go for it - albeit based on only the experiences of 2 relatively short rides - if you are not sure get Shamal and be happy that you have got a great wheelset that will go and go

Hope that helps (although I realise it probably does not.....)

steventran

by steventran

Does anybody have a diagram or picture that clearly depicts the new rim profile? I haven't had much luck with image searching.

em3

by em3

...here u go
Attachments
bora.jpg

jordan00

by jordan00

thanks simon! helps a bit and always good to get peoples opinions on relatively new products. It does say a lot that the performance differences arent mind blowing. Makes the decision even harder as everyone knows its looks > function

em3

by em3

Just received my 2015 Bora One 35 Dark Label wheels from Ribble...only 5 days shipping from UK to NYC! While the packaging from Ribble was below par (two wheels and five Vitt Pave tubies stuffed in improvised undersized box with minimal padding between wheels and on edges of box) thankfully, the wheels arrived intact and UNDER-weight.

Campagnolo listed weight is 1215 grams and my wheels tip the scale at a feathery 1185 grams (-30 under)...interestingly. matching the weight of aguycalledsimon's Ultra 35s (listed above):

Bora One 35 front; 495 gm
Bora One 35 rear: 690 gm
Record Skewer fron: 55 gm
Record Skewer rear: 60 gm

I suspect I can shave another 10+ grams by removing the dark labels but I will keep them for now ( don’t like stickers on my wheels).

The five Vittoria Pave 25c tubulars averaged 300 grams, from as light as 295 to as heavy as 310 (compared to Vittoria reported weight of 270 grams)

Ride report to follow after all the F-en snow melts. EM3

cwoolee

by cwoolee

Awesome!!

msl1985

by msl1985

Anybody know, if Fulcrum Racing Speed will be available in a wide clincher version too?
I am really consider to buy the Bora Ultra 50 clincher, but it is ruin my eyes in combination with Dura Ace groupset.

Michel

by Michel

my bora one 35 set weighs 1194g (Front 500, Rear 694)

kelly07

by kelly07

i will take bora

fogman

by fogman

Has anyone tried 23 mm tires on the new 24.2 mm wide Bora tubular rims? Do they fit or are you limited to 25 mm tubular tires?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Fogman... Still pondering? I mounted (but didn't glue) some 23mm Veloflex Carbons on the Bora Ultra 35. They fit fine. The width of the rim will actually be wider than the width of the inflated tire so stay clear of curbs etc.
Actually, just as a 25mm fits fine on the old Boras, they fit better on the new rims. Probably goes the other way for 23mm tires. They fit fine on the new rims but are probably a better fit on the old.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fogman

by fogman

@Calnago. Trying to gather as much information as possible about these wheels before pulling the trigger. Still trying to decide between the 2014 (narrower) Bora One 35 with 23mm tires or the 2015 (wider) with 25mm tires.
These will be primarily road race wheels on hilly courses and flat crits so I am wanting to keep the weight down. The Arenbergs would add 30g/wheel (published) compared to the Carbons, but would be a more comfy ride.
Edit: The (published) weight savings between the 2014 and 2015 versions is 40g/wheelset. So the 2015 might weigh only 20g/wheelset heavier with the 25mm Arenbergs than the 2014 with the 23mm Carbons.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

em3

by em3

...it appears, based on those that have posted, that the 2015 Bora One 35 wheels are being delivered under reported factory weight and that the Bora Ultra 35 wheels are slightly over reported factory weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Fogman: hilly courses (which includes descents) and crits (which include tight turns at speed). Who cares about a few grams. Go for the ones that provide the most stability. So far the new Bora 35's seem ultra stable and I'm 200lbs. This is really what I was hoping for when I got them. I don't have the older version in a 35 so I can't compare the two. Soon I will have the new Ultra 50's so then I will be able to do a direct comparison with the Ultra Twos. That is what I'm most looking forward to.
Are you a bigger guy or a lighter guy? Quite honesty, at the waif like weights of some of these pro racers, I'm not sure they would even want wider tires or rims, especially running tubulars. I really believe the whole wider tire/rim combo affects the ride of clinchers much much more than it does tubulars (which is already superb).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ