High-end barrel adjuster

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

I've had some adjusters move while riding. It takes a while to figure out why my derailleur keeps going out of adjustment.

The sram one may be hard to turn while riding but at least it stays in place.

BTW if you have adjusters that you suspect are moving you can mark them with a sharpie to see. On some you can disassemble and stretch the spring out a little. That can help for a while but the spring will sack again and lose tension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I use one of these jagwire ones (below). They work well as have a long travel so can really ramp up the cable tension as the SRAM Yaw FD needs a tonne of cable tension to work well I found.
Eric i too noticed the barrell would unwind itself so once I have set the correct tension I use araldite (epoxy glue) - just one glob to hold it in place. The advantage of this over superglue is it can be easily removed with pliers and is too viscous to flow into the gap between the inner and outer piece of the barrel adjuster. I still wish frames used downtube mounted cable adjusters, inline adjusters are a step backwards.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!i8TK-N3WT4lo! ... yvWqTw_wcB
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I use the same Jagwire ones as above, front derailleur only. The weight addition is negligible and I like the ability to fine tune the tension and not have to mess around with clamping and re-clamping the FD cable. I position them low on the cable run so they sit just a little bit in front of the headtube, almost where the cables cross (I run my shift cables routed to the front of the bars).

Marin

by Marin

The SRAM one works fine for me. Agree that it's almost a necessity to have since Yaw 22 derailleurs are an absolute pain to adjust initially.

I doubt you'll find a better functioning one, there's just so much tension on the cable that you can only adjust it when on the small ring.

If the adjuster can be turned under the cable tension needed for the big ring, it won't stay adjusted with the lower tension on the small one,

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Yup, I was only able to adjust it when on the small ring. Needs an insane amount of tension. Are you able to turn yours with one hand? I can barely turn mine with two hands. The top of the barrel doesn't stay put and I sometimes need to use pliers to hold that end so that I can turn the barrel. I think it might have to do with the Aican Bungarus housing being smaller than the top end, so it's not able to grip the housing.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I don't see an inline adjuster on that page.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

The only ones I found on the net were these and they are not that elegant.

http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/ ... l-adjuster

http://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Inline-Ad ... DB8M9UQDG5

Serge58

by Serge58

I didn't have any luck with any of those.
My test is -if you can't turn it with a wet full-finger glove on the numb hand -it is not worth a hoot.
Here is my favorite: http://fairwheelbikes.com/alligator-bar ... -4829.html

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Serge, that's a Frame Barrel Adjuster, not an inline adjuster.

Here's the ones I was referring to -

http://jagwire.com/products/v/Inline_Adjusters

CHA035 & BSA036 are light not too chunky unlike the BSA044.
The spring is quite strong in them but the belt and braces approach is to put a little low strength Loctite on the threads.
It can still be adjusted but stops it loosening on its own.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

@5 8 5 Are those compatible with i-links and swift housings?

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

i-links yes. Sorry, don't know about Swift housing. What diameter is it?

MNX1024

by MNX1024

5mm

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

It would depend on the size of the ferrules used. Just measured the adjuster and it's just a shade under 6mm at each end.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Have to try out the Jagwire. Is there a difference between the BSA036 and the CHA035 other than color?

The SRAM opening are too small for me to use the ferrules that came with the Aican Bunguras, so I run it without, but the housing is smaller than the openings, and the adjuster is not getting a good grip on the housing, so the entire thing turns. I have to measure the ferrules but I know the Aican housing is 3.8mm.