High-end barrel adjuster

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Can anyone recommend a good quality barrel adjuster for a FD cable? The one that came with my SRAM Red FD is a piece of junk. You'd think they'd include a really good one with their high-end derailleur. Not.

I'm looking for one that I can easily adjust with one hand while riding, and will hold that adjustment. If it's really light even better. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I know this isn't really answering your question, but have you considered just eliminating the adjuster entirely ?
I have no in-line adjuster and things have remained very stable for over a year after a short initial break-in.
As long as you have sufficient tension then you can make final adjustments with just the derailleur's travel limit screws.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Jagwire make some nice aluminium ones.

Do a search, I'm sure there's a thread about inline adjusters.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Rick wrote:I know this isn't really answering your question, but have you considered just eliminating the adjuster entirely ?
I have no in-line adjuster and things have remained very stable for over a year after a short initial break-in.
As long as you have sufficient tension then you can make final adjustments with just the derailleur's travel limit screws.

I initially left the adjuster off, but I couldn't get enough tension on the cable and the FD wouldn't shift properly. An adjuster solved it, so I'd like to keep it.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

5 8 5 wrote:Jagwire make some nice aluminium ones.

Do a search, I'm sure there's a thread about inline adjusters.

I already searched. The search on this site is garbage, didn't return with much. I will check out the Jagwire. Thanks.

rijndael

by rijndael

drainyoo wrote:I already searched. The search on this site is garbage

Use Google, and restrict it to this site. After you put in your search terms, add: site:weightweenies.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

My opinion only obviously, bit I have the SRAM one for my bike (bought it separately as my 6800 FD didn't come with one) and it's perfectly adequate. Surely once you set up the FD on the stand then you shouldn't really need to touch it again?

I'm struggling to understand why you would need to adjust it whilst riding......

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'd say it's because bikes tend to shift different under load than on the work stand.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I'll pile on. You don't need an adjuster. If set up correctly you should have no issues. The FD really depends on the limit screws and not much else. If the FD is aligned properly, once you hit the limit screw you should have proper operation. There should be no reason to trim on the go. And if you are trying to trim out rubbing at max cross chaining, I would leave it as is. The noise is a nice alarm if you forget where you are on the cassette.

I have built and re-cabled SRAM Red many times and never had an issue. Two of our bikes with Red have built in cable adjusters and I don't every recall touching them once the set up is dialed in. One thing to make sure is that you are capturing the cable correctly in the pinch bolt - wrap over the little tab.

Also (as might have been noted in your other threads), if that FD isn't aligned properly and set at the perfect height, you will always struggle to get it dialed in.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

eric

by eric

Once my Red was dialed in I have not changed the adjuster. But having an adjuster makes the dialing in process much easier. It's tough to make tiny changes in cable tension with no adjuster. That makes it worth the couple grams.

rijndael

by rijndael

Eric - I agree on all points.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

You mark the cable where you pinched it with sharpie and make it a bit tighter.
But I had a big problem it won't shift up and it was super tight almost flexing the braze on that's how tight it was. The solution was to clean the bottom of the BB shell cable guides and add a bit of lube there some might disagree but as long as you clean up regularly it is fine.
Try that. It really helps before you start messing with the cable tension too much.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Get in contact with Weeracerweenie, he could maybe make you some super light ones as he built some to work with SRAM

drainyoo

by drainyoo

eric wrote:Once my Red was dialed in I have not changed the adjuster. But having an adjuster makes the dialing in process much easier. It's tough to make tiny changes in cable tension with no adjuster. That makes it worth the couple grams.

Totally agree. In my limited experience with a Red FD, I had a ton of trouble getting the right tension without the adjuster. And yes, the FD was properly aligned and spaced. Once I installed it, I had the FD tunes in no time. Plus, Sram reccomends that you install it.

The reason why I would like to be able to adjust with one hand while riding is if for any reason the adjuster loosens and throws the tension off. The Sram adjuster is impossible to turn with one hand, and I've read that they sometimes loosen. So far hasn't happened to me, but I was curious if they are any better options out there.

yashkatsumi

by yashkatsumi

I am experiencing the same problem on one of my bikes. Would love to find an elegant solution.
My bikes:
2014 Falco Saker
2013 Tonic Fabrications road disc
2011 Seven Axiom SL
2011 Cannondale trail sl1 UK
2009 Zanconato Team cross
2008 Bianchi Milano Cafe racer
2008 Bianchi 1885
2002 Lemond

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓