The holy grail of skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Arky

by Arky

TheDarkInstall wrote:
jpanspac wrote:No it doesn't.

1. I concede that the front wheel does not see any torque.

2. You are wrong in denying that there is no leverage applied to it during sprinting.

I think we are at cross purposes here. All good.

You were correct the first time! Torque does occur on the front wheel, just not about the axis of rotation. Very nice to see another humble person on WW though! Responses like yours make this forum bearable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andy2
in the industry

by andy2

I've had the head engineer at Öhlins calculate the maximum conceivable side torque on a bicycle wheel on a couple if napkins during lunch once. From my recollection the moment he came up with was 400Nm!
rolobikes

michel2

by michel2

tune sucks, to a point where i want to tie a knot in the rear q.r. axle and send it back to germany.
i have pulled my rear wheel out of my frame three times now, after the first time i thought i might not have done it up tight enough, well needles to say the other two times the q.r. was tight.
so if there was i smiley face with a big middle finger i would use it right here !

salsa old and new style campa q.r.'s never failed on me, i had the salsa's in my mtb for the last.....10 years if not longer
i bought lightweight kcmc, or whatever there called when i opened the box and had a good look at them i decided to put them back in the box and the box in the bottom drawer...never to be seen again, the just look to flimsy to me, however they might work fine, just not on my bike.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Arky wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:
jpanspac wrote:No it doesn't.

1. I concede that the front wheel does not see any torque.

2. You are wrong in denying that there is no leverage applied to it during sprinting.

I think we are at cross purposes here. All good.

You were correct the first time! Torque does occur on the front wheel, just not about the axis of rotation. Very nice to see another humble person on WW though! Responses like yours make this forum bearable.

I don't think I was correct; this is torque -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

The front wheel hub is not 'driven' around the axle by the gears like the rear is; there is definitely leverage applied to it though (especially when I spot what I imagine to be a tasty bird a few km up the road, go on a mega sprint, only to have it turn out to be a bloke in shorts. Getting my eyes lasered this summer, so that should put an end to all that bollocks).

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I will put my vote in for http://farandnear.com.tw/product/main_view.php?id=120 the far and nears for awesome light skewers.

I love the dura ace ones as well but the ends tend to hit stays because they are so wide on some frames. Heavy suckers but very good.
Just ride ..

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

andy2 wrote:I've had the head engineer at Öhlins calculate the maximum conceivable side torque on a bicycle wheel on a couple if napkins during lunch once. From my recollection the moment he came up with was 400Nm!

Ha, that might be all you fjollas can manage, but I reckon I am wrestling at least two more zeros on that estimate.

tinozee

by tinozee

Michel2 - which Tunes did you have that failed? Just curious as I use the ac14 and have had no issues, but I don't doubt your story. I have popped several other "high end" QRs including Ritchey TI (both front and rear) and have had a Zipp fall apart.

I like the DA, DT, Campys and Fulcrums too, very sturdy.

superdx

by superdx

For those of you who have the Tune DC14 skewers, where did you purchase them? Seemingly they need to be shipped out of Europe, which by itself can be extremely pricey even for these high-end items.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

fairwheel have em

stuka666

by stuka666

Dt swiss (not the Ti), is the best in weight/clamping force for mtb?

I need a good skewer for my 29er, rear QR, tried a dt swiss and it secured the wheel.. msc and token, are rubbish.

Otter

by Otter

I've got the garbage Token ones the OP mentioned, they hold the wheel on and were free but I'm kind of dubious of them. I've been thinking of upgrading to the Tune AC16/17s but heard some negative things. Are there any other WW style INTERNAL cam QRs on the market?

jimborello

by jimborello

Hope skewers are nice, but I have found that the anodized color is not very consistent. I bought a blue set for my road bike and just a rear blue for my mtb and the color is a bit different. Both were bought at the same time so there shouldnt have been any difference due to sun exposure.

kode54

by kode54

i like the Enve first generation Ti skewers. the newer version i do not like. clamping force is perfect for me and easy. Tune DC14 feel like they'll snap when clamping down. a little too dainty for me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Bjpitt

by Bjpitt

TheDarkInstall wrote:
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:08 pm
andy2 wrote:I've had the head engineer at Öhlins calculate the maximum conceivable side torque on a bicycle wheel on a couple if napkins during lunch once. From my recollection the moment he came up with was 400Nm!
Ha, that might be all you fjollas can manage, but I reckon I am wrestling at least two more zeros on that estimate.
You guys are missing something so obvious. The front wheel deals with the most amount of force. Braking. When was the last time you accelerated up to 80+km/h in a few seconds using brute force through the rear wheel??? That force in reverse is exactly what happens when you drop the anchors hard.

robertbb

by robertbb

Bjpitt wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:30 am
TheDarkInstall wrote:
Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:08 pm
You guys are missing something so obvious. The front wheel deals with the most amount of force. Braking. When was the last time you accelerated up to 80+km/h in a few seconds using brute force through the rear wheel??? That force in reverse is exactly what happens when you drop the anchors hard.
Excellent first post!

Not to mention more lateral force than a rear wheel when grinding uphill slowly, or turning sharply on a switch back descent. This is precisely why I've chosen 24 spoke front for my next build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com