clicking sound in Lightweight Obermayer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wayne20

by wayne20

I recently received a set of Meilenstein Obermayer wheels. All is well Except in the rear there is a clicking sound, once per revolution. The sound is there whether coasting or pedling, but it cannot be heard with the bike on a stand, without the rider weight. Nothing is touching the wheel or tire. I have checked the lock ring tension, tightened the skewer more and nothing changes. The obvious cause might be the valve extension contacting the rim, but I put a sliver of wood to wedge it tightly against the rim, but no help.

So, I am out of ideas, except for the worst thought, maybe a fault in the wheel somewhere.

My question is does anybody have an idea? Is it possible the valve extension is hitting the wheel somewhere near the gluing surface? If this is possible, I can pull the tire and put some tape around the stem.

ANY thoughts would be most welcome here!

Thanks

eric

by eric

Did you check the bearings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wayne20

by wayne20

The bearings feel smooth, at least under no load, and there is no detectable play.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Take out the wood, and slide a drinking straw over the valve, then cut to length.

Does the sound match the spinning speed of the wheels?

tinozee

by tinozee

I have had a sound like this when some foreign object fell or dislodged inside the rim and would rattle/click with every rotation. In one case it was a little bit of carbon that must have been piushed in when i inserted the valve, the other was a tiny pine needle, god knows how it got in there. It also happens often with filings in alloy rims. Usually though I get this from a valve stem or extender tap tap tapping. I'm sure you will find the cause soon.

If it's not happening with no weight it might just be dry where the wheel contacts the frame or fork. This can cause a little creak/click sound with each pedal stroke. Tiny bit of grease can fix that.

tids0009

by tids0009

If you have those crappy valve extenders that require the original valve to remain in the open position that causes the tick..tick..tick sound.

sharkman

by sharkman

Either that of the incompatibility of the tune/lightweight skewers with you frameset (put a bit of grease on the dropouts and tighten the skewers a bit more might solve this one).

CLEAR

by CLEAR

check the valve extender. I too had the same problem, sleeved the valve extender with some heat shrink tube I had laying around and cut short just right under the rim length, so no tubing showing. Fixed it the first time.

aerozy

by aerozy

Hey guys! Im having a similar problem with my LW's and suspect its the valve extender. In my case it only happens when Im out of the saddle. Im sure its the wheels. Im using vittoria tubular's with the red thing that incorporates the presta valve. I usually put some tape around the valve but in this case the fit was so tight it just wouldnt fit through the valve hole.

So basically I suspect the valve is rubbing against the carbon hole. Perhaps I should get some slimmer valve extenders? Any ideas?
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Cuki

by Cuki

Yeah, another for the valve extension. Had a similar experience with Enve 3.4, but on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

An easy fix for the valve or extension clicking is to take a piece of electrical tape and stretch it over the valve.

asdf123

by asdf123

I have the simillar problem with my LW Standards but I think its the LW skewer fault as the extenders sit tight. Because it mostly happens when I put more power.

aerozy

by aerozy

^ You see that's exactly the problem! The valve holes in my LW's are so small the valve wont fit with tape on it. Solution would be to have a slimmer valve and than tape that up. But to my knowledge all valves have the same diameter. Or am I wrong?

Are there any slimmer valves out there comparing to the standard?
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

This is kind of hard to visualize, but bear with me. You don't need slimmer valves. Use your standard valve, and place a small piece of electrical tape covering the valve hole. As you press down on the valve with the tape, the tip of the valve will create a small tear that will expand just enough to slide over the valve. This tight fit will keep the valve from moving around in the hole.

LePouletTrapu

by LePouletTrapu

I had a similar noise which was due to some degreaser getting onto the rim and tyre when I was using tape to attach the tubulars which basically meant the tape stopped working over about 2 inches of the rim and caused a ticking noise as the tyre moved under my weight.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com