Ridley Helium Stiffness, Really??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mannymerc

by mannymerc

So my dad wants a new frame and I want to buy it for him, he likes the helium a lot but I was wondering if there is a big noticeable difference in stiffness and feel between the regular helium(900g) and the helium sl(700g) he is about 160 lbs and does really good on steep hills so I thought this frame will be good for him, people with experience on this frames please post.

mjduct

by mjduct

I have no firsthand knowledge, but the sl might even be stiffer I know my cervelo R5 is stiffer than my buddies R3sl that is a 70-100 grams heavier in the frame...

To lose the weight a higher modulus carbon is used, meaning a stiffer frame, and usually a harsher ride as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mannymerc

by mannymerc

I thought with higher mod carbon it was stiffer by square inch, thats why they use less material to achieve same or better results, stiffness or compliance, I could be wrong.

mannymerc

by mannymerc

Anyone??????????

SGMD

by SGMD

This doesn't answer your question directly but Velo News April 2014 issue did a nice review, including stiffness testing, of Helium SL vs Bianchi Oltre, Scott Addict and Giant TCR SL.

Helium was most comfortable and had second stiffest BB, but the most deflection at the seatpost (probably why it was most comfortable). Might be worth buying that issue online.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

RIDE Magazine also reviewed the Helium SL in #63

russianbear

by russianbear

Your 160lb dad probably won't have stiffness complaints with a modern carbon frame.

mannymerc

by mannymerc

hahaha, on todays bike ride one of the guys showed up on a ridley helium isp, is last years model, I got to talk to him a bit about it, it looks like a solid bike, he is about my size so I took it for a spin, and it reminds me of a cannondale evo, I like it.

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, I'm on Fredrik Willems' Ridley Helium from last season. Notwithstanding that Pro Team framesets may be comprised of carbon layup schedules that are different from production frames, I thought I would give you some feedback.

I find the Helium to be very stiff and solid. The bottom bracket area and the headtube area are particularly massive. The resulting frame is very stiff throughout. I am 129-134 lbs (and 1,100 watts in the sprint) so not as heavy as your dad, but I believe that you would find it more than stiff enough. All in all, a very nice example of a Pro Tour-level frameset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mannymerc

by mannymerc

Cool, now is that for the helium or the helium sl>?