Lightest seatposts...updated for 2014?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

climber8

by climber8

It's been a while since I've seen a thread on light posts. I'm in the market for a new post as part of a hill-climb bike project.

I'm currently running a Ritchey Superlogic with a Ti bolt for the clamp. The post is 27.2 and cut to ~250mm.

I use the MCFK post on my mountain bikes, and while I like the weight of the 27.2/300mm version @ 108g (UD finish), I am unable to use it with my current saddle and the slight setback I require. I only need about 10-15mm setback.

The MCFK setback version is a bit heavier. It is also out-of-stock at Fairwheel bikes, and it is 40% more expensive--a large premium for less weight savings.

Are there any other posts to consider?

I believe my notes show that my current, cut post weighs 134g. (I believe the 27x2 post is 165 uncut, which makes me question whether my note is accurate -- saving 31g for cutting 50mm.)

Thanks for any help. Saving 30-40g is "meaningful" for me in this case; saving 10-15g is less so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I have the Woodman Carbo EL and it came in at 122g uncut.

Tom-s

by Tom-s

What's the problem with the MCFK post and your current saddle?
I use AX Lightness Daedalus on my MTB but that's about the price of the MCFK.
My cheap setback setup is a Thomson Masterpiece setback with Ti bolts/washers, carbon cradle (Ax lightness 14g or Smud 7g) and POP yokes.
Sub 140g for my version with 300mm length * 31.6.
That's a cheap option but you won't lose that much weight.

Carbo EL is non set-back?

Jan

by Jan

The Engage Revit is quite light, and cheap compared to ax, MCFK, and Schmolke.

climber8

by climber8

Tom-s wrote:What's the problem with the MCFK post and your current saddle?
I use AX Lightness Daedalus on my MTB but that's about the price of the MCFK.
My cheap setback setup is a Thomson Masterpiece setback with Ti bolts/washers, carbon cradle (Ax lightness 14g or Smud 7g) and POP yokes.
Sub 140g for my version with 300mm length * 31.6.
That's a cheap option but you won't lose that much weight.

Carbo EL is non set-back?

the issue is that the front "yoke" that secures the saddle on the post is too far forward and hits right at the front bend in my saddle's rails. it is, unfortunately, not a position that works.

i do not wish to change my saddle. if i needed 5-10mm less setback, it would probably be fine. unfortunately, that won't work.

i could go with the MCFK setback version...possibly. problem is in obtaining one in the next 2-3 weeks. how much does the AX post weigh?

i have had bad experiences riding my MTB with a thomson post and those POP yokes. the yokes failed during a MTB race. that wasn't fun--had to ride the last half without a saddle. i won't use the POP yokes again, personally...even if it was a rare occurrence.

i'm comfortable using the MCFK stuff as i know it is very light but it is also reasonably sturdy. i don't want to have to worry something will fail.

thank you for the suggestions. i'll look into the AX.

climber8

by climber8

drainyoo wrote:I have the Woodman Carbo EL and it came in at 122g uncut.

thanks. looks like it is zero setback. i am worried a bit about the reports of it having to be a bit babied. any truth to them?

climber8

by climber8

Jan wrote:The Engage Revit is quite light, and cheap compared to ax, MCFK, and Schmolke.

i've not heard of it. i'll look into it.

know the weight?

climber8

by climber8

i guess dash is an option, but i am not sure if the 0mm post will work, and the setback adds weight. also, the reinforced version (i'll be riding some bumpy roads and descending at 50+mph) adds 20g. hm.

mythical

by mythical

Is this not enough setback? 87g for Ø27.2 x 250mm (road version)
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

drainyoo

by drainyoo

climber8 wrote:
drainyoo wrote:I have the Woodman Carbo EL and it came in at 122g uncut.

thanks. looks like it is zero setback. i am worried a bit about the reports of it having to be a bit babied. any truth to them?

Ahh, missed that part where you want setback.

I've used my Carbo EL for only a few rides now, so hard to tell how it will hold up. I am 95kg, so we'll see. I did replace the cradle with a carbon Smud, and the yokes with ones from POP.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The schmolke is only 10mm setback. I believe the ritchey is 25mm. Probably not enough for the OP.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

climber8

by climber8

mythical wrote:Is this not enough setback? 87g for Ø27.2 x 250mm (road version)

87g is quite light.

i wasn't familiar with that post so i looked it up--10mm of setback. i know that posts vary in where they clamp a saddle, and while my ritchey has 25mm setback, it is not "maxed out". in other words, i am not as far forward on the rails as i can go.

not quite sure if 10mm will work; i know zero will not.

it *might*.

thanks for the suggestion. i think the MCFK would come in at ~110g in the size i need and finish i prefer (UD/matte). the schmolke is 20g lighter. amazing.

i know the MCFK post to be quite strong, which gives me some comfort. even though i am relatively light (65-67kg), i do descend at high speed and ride some rougher roads, so prefer not to have any thought of a post breaking. this is not the case for all WW designs.

hm.

climber8

by climber8

NiFTY wrote:The schmolke is only 10mm setback. I believe the ritchey is 25mm. Probably not enough for the OP.

thanks for replying. 10mm *might* work but is not certain. since all of these seem to be made upon ordering, placing an order for the schmolke would be a bit of a gamble.

also, my hill climb is in about 3 weeks. most retailers quote 1-2 weeks for MCFK and schmolke to deliver. not sure if either is more likely to be "on-time."

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

does the schmolke have variable setback? fairwheel lists the setback at 25mm and if you look at one of their pics it seems there is a hex bolt in the bottom bar that runs through the post that might allow it to extend. seems to be variable 10mm-25mm that way. even pics on schmolke's site seem to have different lengths of this bottom bar (ie. pic 1,4 vs 2).

http://fairwheelbikes.com/assets/images/schmolke_316_02_jpg/schmolke_316_02.jpg

edit: also, wouldn't the first upper clamp set the setback limit. maybe it's just the how the end cap on the bottom bar is held.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

climber8

by climber8

VeloScaper wrote:does the schmolke have variable setback? fairwheel lists the setback at 25mm and if you look at one of their pics it seems there is a hex bolt in the bottom bar that runs through the post that might allow it to extend. seems to be variable 10mm-25mm that way. even pics on schmolke's site seem to have different lengths of this bottom bar (ie. pic 1,4 vs 2).

http://fairwheelbikes.com/assets/images/schmolke_316_02_jpg/schmolke_316_02.jpg

edit: also, wouldn't the first upper clamp set the setback limit. maybe it's just the how the end cap on the bottom bar is held.

that first upper clamp is why i can't run a zero setback MCFK post, to my dismay.