Powermeter, for SiSL2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey

So, I thought it might be amusing to get into power metre training, and was wondering what my options were and what the benefits of each one are etc.

I have Cannondale SiSL2 cranks, with a Spidering. The Spidering is getting a bit worn now, so I thought it would be good time to combine getting a new chain ring with adding the large extra cost of a power metre of some sort. I want to keep using my SiSL2 cranks, so it would need to be compatible with that.

I also have a Garmin 810 which would be cool to use to monitor things, if that is at all possible.

Any comments on what my options are, etc., would be very welcome. Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

I am running SISL2 cranks with the Stages SISL arm on the left. No problems thus far and I get to keep the good looking Cannondale spider.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

That was quick! Nice one.

OK, I will look into that for a starter. Do you need to modify your cranks to fit this, or do they remain unscathed?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

you would replace the left crank arm with this arm http://www.stagescycling.com/stagespower-models
The q-factor will remain the same it just wont be as light as your SISL2 arm since they only make the SI version for the power meter.
Probably the easiest power meter solution on the market.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

If you don't care about running spiderrings, you can also get a power2max Type-S for Cannondale, and some Praxis rings. I believe you will need Cannondale and P2M special tools to remove the spiderrings and install the pm.
Quarq and SRM also have spider-based PM's for Cannondale cranks, both costing more than Stages and P2M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Good info thanks.

Not bothered at all about using the Spidering- it wore out fast so trying something else would be cool

Geoff

by Geoff

My favorite SRM is the Cannondale-version. It is the lightest and the most-accurate. I am running it on Nibali's old bikes, but lately I have been contemplating finally getting a bike of my own. If I was building-up a bike of my own, I think I would build it around the SRM SiSL crank.

Dammit

by Dammit

I had the Cannondale SRM on SiSl cranks, drove me nuts with dropouts (I had a PC-7), and given the total lack of support that is a feature of SRM (in the UK) I was glad to see the back of it.

I'd get a P2M type-S with Praxxis rings - as suggested upthread, that's what I replaced my SRM with and it's been 100% reliable, no more dropouts, it just works.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Geoff wrote:I am running it on Nibali's old bikes

No idea what you mean by this, but I lolled anyway.

Thanks again for all the info; so SRM is a bit iffy then? They seem to be something of a standard in the pro-peloton...

NiFTY

by NiFTY

SRM do not seem like a standard anymore.

Sky - Stages
Movistar, Lampre (for now) - Power2max
Garmin-sharp - vector
Omega-Pharma - Quarq.
Belkin - Pioneer
Astana, BMC, Cannondale, Greenedge, Katusha, Lotto, Trek Factory, Tinkoff Saxo and Giant Shimano

I have a stages si arm on my si sls, work great, light and cheap.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thanks for the info.

I emailed the Stages guys about their plans to do a SiSL2 version, but they said it was not possible yet, as the fitting process shags up the paint/anodising on the SiSL2 cranks (whereas the Si cranks have no such problem).

Will have a good nerd-up about all the different possibilities listed. Cheers.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

You can use the SI crank on the SISL2, just change the non-drive side. Spindle, spacers and driveside can stay as is. It will still be by far the lightest option. My stages SI weighed 170g in 172.5. My SISL was 143g. The SISL2 was around 122g per arm. Stages SI = + 48g. You will not find a lighter power meter, especially as you will have to go without the light spiderings to run SRM/quarq/P2M.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I run P2Max Type S on SISL2 with Praxis 52/36 rings. Weight penalty against the same setup with 50/34 Spiderings is 175g.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Cni2i

by Cni2i

I know this is a very old thread....BUT I am stoked that I found it.

I currently run the QUARQ DZero on my Sworks...works great thus far. No issues.

I have a second bike (No. 22 Reactor) running the SiSL2 cranks with the spider ring. I really like the weight of this crankset AND the spider ring is one of the best looking chainrings out there (still) IMO. I wasn't sure what to get, but after reading this thread, I think I will go with the stages SI. Too bad the SiSL2 stages version does not exist, but the slight weight penalty mentioned above does not seem too much. I wasn't sure about Stages one-arm-style power meter was reliable/accurate or not, but it seems that they are based on responses above.

I was quoted $480 + tax from my LBS. Seems like a pretty fair price, so I'll likely go for it.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You can get a 4iiii (lighter than stages) installed on an SISL2 arm. (Gotta send your arm in to 4iiii)

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com