Differences in DS Crank/Spider Thickness?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bananasbrah

by bananasbrah

I'm interested as to whether or not there are discernible differences between cranksets with the 'bulge' or thickness of the spider at the centre/at the heel.
Not Q-factor, but the lateral distance between the outside of the pedal end of the crank arm and outside of the centre of the spider.
Due to the way my feet naturally drop I end up with quite substantial heel rub on the DS crank arm, and to a lesser extent on the NDS.
Currently running a 5750 crankset and this 'bulge' is quite pronounced, whereas for example a RED 22 DS crank appears to go inwards towards the axle if anything. Is this just false perception or is there something to it?

I don't have the budget for a new carbon crankset and I'm still on a 10spd Ultegra/105 mix, currently looking at an even heavier (I know this is WW) Apex crankset as I also want to move from 175 to 180mm if possible.

Cheers!

eric

by eric

Some true BB30 cranks have a flatter spider and thus more heel clearance than cranks made to fit wider BBs or BSA BBs with external bearing cups. But you need a BB30 or perhaps PF30 frame to fit one.

The amount of heel clearance differs between cranks made to fit the same BB, i.e. some BSA cranks have more heel clearance than others. But not nearly as much as true BB30 cranks.

I say "true" because some cranks with 30mm spindles are called BB30 but have a longer spindle than is needed for a BB30 frame. They fit BB30 with spacers and can fit other frames as well making them more versatile... but they give up the heel clearance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com